AMD's Navi GPU debuts in July with the Radeon RX 5700 series

Julio Franco

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Navi details were not a sure thing at Computex, but we did receive a good teaser and hints on what to expect. The upcoming 7nm Radeon RX 5700 series will be gaming-first graphics cards featuring high-speed GDDR6 memory and support for the PCIe 4.0 interface.

Although it was Ryzen 3000 and Zen 2 taking the center stage at AMD's Computex 2019 keynote, CEO Lisa Su was generous enough to reveal new details about their next generation GPU.

AMD is debuting a new "RDNA" gaming-first architecture with the Radeon RX 5700 optimized for performance per clock and high clock speeds. AMD is calling RDNA the "future of gaming" as it will power upcoming 7nm Radeon RX 5700 graphics cards, Sony's next generation Playstation, and possibly Google's Stadia cloud gaming platform. On the PC, RX 5700 cards will feature high-speed GDDR6 memory and support for the PCIe 4.0 interface.

In terms of more concrete performance claims, AMD says Radeon RX 5700 cards will offer 25% better performance per clock per core and 50% better power efficiency than AMD’s current-generation Vega GPUs.

During the keynote, AMD showcased a "RX 5700 series" graphics card tested against Nvidia's RTX 2070 card running Strange Brigade -- a title favorable to AMD graphics cards -- with the Radeon taking the lead by around ~10% (on an AMD controlled test, of course).

AMD Radeon RX 5700 graphics cards are set for release this July with finalized details on pricing and more expected to be revealed at the AMD E3 event on June 10.

Permalink to story.

If my math is right based on that single test and what AMD said, the 5700 will mostly be on par with the 2070. In the end it will all come down to pricing and availability.

So AMD is claiming that their new navi is something good but its only comparable to a 2070, albeit on a game that favors them and only a 10% performance increase. Doesnt sound all that good to be honest.
Maybe real world scenarios will be better when its launched but imo its not a great start.

Lets hope other cards are offered but pricing will likely be key. If its not great, nvidia will stay King n AMD will once again miss the opportunity to take advantage.

Now we will all wait and see nvidia either release new cards and/or reduce pricing. 1 or both will be happening.

Last edited:
So AMD is claiming that their new navi is something good but its only comparable to a 2070, albeit on a game that favors them and only a 10% performance increase. Doesnt sound all that good to be honest.
Maybe real world scenarios will be better when its launched but imo its not a great start.

Lets hopes other cards are offered but pricing will likely be key. If its not great, nvidia will stay King n AMD will once again miss the opportunity to take advantage.

Now we will all wait and see nvidia either release new cards and/or reduce pricing. 1 or both will be happening.

While true, you haven't considered the posibility that they only showcased a card in the same budget range/performance range as the 2070. I'm sure there are better cards yet to be released.

A lot will depend on metrics such as power, price, availability, etc but it makes sense for AMD to be focusing on the mid-range of graphics cards. A quick glance of the Steam Hardware Survey has almost 50% of the entries coming from NVIDIA's mid-to-low range models, so it's clear where the money is. For me personally, it seems that AMD are either struggling or choosing not to give their GPUs the same marketable advantage/difference that they could with the Zen architecture - the fact that the first generation of the chips was down on single thread performance, clock-for-clock, against Intel didn't really matter: they made up for it with price, core count, platform longevity and so on. Naturally this is a little easier to achieve with CPUs, as they have a range of usage targets - GPUs have far fewer and so the "single thread performance" metric becomes more significant. On the one hand, AMD's current approach makes a lot of sense (design new architectures for the mid-range, improve and scale over time, sell custom versions for future consoles, profit) but on the other hand, they made some bold and sweeping changes for Zen and look where it's got them.

And temporally the 2070 is currently discounted by 10%.
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...iption=2070&cm_re=2070-_-14-137-413-_-Product

2080 ti 10-20%?1,000$
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6NWT79/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
2080 630$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GAMING-GeForce-RTX-2080-Blower-8GB-GDDR6-256-bit-Gaming-Graphics-Card/233223625448?epid=7023893714&hash=item364d361ae8:g:CYEAAOSw4NZc1eHt&LH_BIN=1&autorefresh=true

Hopefully future drivers will push that AMD card even higher, a cheaper card with more performance helps everyone out.

Interesting if it does keep that 10% performance over the 2070 it actually matches the 2080 at 1080p. p.s. If you game at 120+hz\120fps+ this is especially good news.
6:23

Last edited:
While true, you haven't considered the posibility that they only showcased a card in the same budget range/performance range as the 2070. I'm sure there are better cards yet to be released.
I did. I did say lets hope they have other cards to offer. I also stated that maybe real world scenarios will be better. So there's a chance for things to be better but I doubt it.
Pricing will be key for AMD, otherwise another fail on their part to take a big chunk of the pie from nvidia.
We will all see soon enough.

Don’t these sort of announcements usually put their best foot forward? The highest end of the product line. This might be the highest speed Navi card, leaving the Radeon VII as their fastest offering. I don’t play games at 1080p so if they don’t have a Navi card that is at least on par or better than 2080 in performance and price then they have nothing for me.

First, they should fire everyone from their video-driver department. They always produce bad drivers and lag too much before releasing good ones. And the driver size is incredibly high (for its purpose).

Although, to be honest, Nvidia is not much better. Any video driver that is over 50 MB is bloatware. That means Nvidia should fire their driver-department programmers as well. How can a driver be 200 or 300 MB in size? That's just sloppy programming.

Makes you wonder how good is their microcode if they can't even optimize their drivers.

Whilst I dont think it matters that much, where is AMD getting its names from? The community gave Nvidia a lot of flack for going with 20xx & 16xx naming conventions with Turing but no one seems to care that AMD cards names are basically picked at random, I mean currently we have the RX 5xx series and then Vega and then the Radeon VII. And now they are adding RX 5xxx? I mean either they have no idea whats going on or its an intentional strategy to confuse consumers.

Either way my expectations for Navi is low. I expect to to slightly undercut the 2070 whilst not quite performing as good as it, then when Nvidia release a next gen cheaper card to replace the 2070 AMD will cut the price of this card to just under it, this will continue until the card is $100 and its competing against a 4050 or something.

*note: I am quoting notes from a journalist on reddit:

Graphics and Gaming:

Radeon is everywhere (PCs, Apple, Consoles) - 400m gamers
Google using AMD hardware with cloud gaming (Stadia)
VII - First 7nm GPU MI60/MI50 for datacenter. "Going to continue to see Vega" (in those scenarios)

"Play your favorite games anywhere, anyplace with your same ecosystem" in Navi.
Playstation 5 - Semi custom Navi + Zen2

PC
All new 7nm "RDNA" Architecture - Different from GCN
-Focused on Gaming
-Lower power, higher clocks
-Radeon DNA (RDNA)

GCN will still be used for Datacenter only.
RDNA will be used for Gaming - "From Scratch like Zen2"
-Brand new compute unit design
-Focused on efficiency, IPC
-Streamlined graphics engine
-1.25x IPC (over Vega?)
-1.5x Perf/Watt (over Vega?)

RX5000 Family; Named for 50th Birthday
-7nm
-RDNA
-Small chip size

Scott Herkleman:
Strange Brigade (Vulkan/DX12 only, very well optimized)
NV RTX 2070 -vs- RX5000 Series (not named part)
AMD beats 2070 by roughly 10% (they zoomed in but thats what he said)
June 10th 3pm PST more info with prices, products

PC Ecosystem: 1.5 Billion PC users
Consumers - General Users
Enthusiasts - Power Users (OCing, etc)
Content Ceators

Microsoft as most important partner - Inviting Roanne Sones (CVP OS Platform Microsoft)
Microsoft OS runs the world basically :D.
Working directly with AMD on CPU development / integration.
Ryzen integrated into all prices points
AMD helping to pick components as well -- SSDs, Displays etc
AMD first to Modern drivers
Ryzen - 50% modern devices this year
Lots of exciting stuff upcoming for cloud / gaming
Asus on Stage with her now (Joe ??)
Will have one of the first Desktop Zen2 full desktop builds
30 500 series Motherboard designs (?? wow)
Asus 30 year anniversity
Acer coming out now - Jerry Kao COO
Made tons of money off AMD stock :D
Talking about laptops and Ryzen Mobile 2nd gen
Nitro 5
Ryzen and Radeon -- AMD does both while competition failed to do both (lol). Great synergy.
Lots of Freesync Monitors
7nm + 7nm (CPU + GPU), A + A (Acer + AMD)

AMD Ryzen 3rd gen! Zen2
7nm (spoiler!)
AM4 Socket (spoiler!)
More Cores
2x Cache Size - reduced latencies
2x Floating point
15% IPC Uplift
3700X
8 Cores 16 Threads
65w TDP
4.4 GHZ boost 3.6 base (?)
~30% faster than 9700k in Cinebench
3800X
4.5 GHZ Boost
8 Core 16 Threads
Benching PUBG against 9900k
Same perf
Benching with 5700 Radeon (Navi!) PCI-4!
Vs Intel 9900k + 2080 Ti
3d Mark Feature Test
~69% more perf with PCI-4
Matches 9900k in single core perf, stomps in multithreaded (ob wait for benchmarks, but still woot!)

AMD might finally produce a graphics card to equal a GTX1080 in all aspects, especially power consumption. Only took them three and a half years plus a full node shrink.

Pricing better be good.

This. I'm still waiting with my GTX 1080 after 3 years. Lack of competition sucks. Price goes up without justifiable performance increase on both sides.

RX5000 Family - Named for AMD's 50th Birthday
-7nm
-RDNA Architecture
-Small chip size

All new 7nm "RDNA" Architecture:
-Different from GCN - (GCN will still be used for Datacenter.)
-RDNA will be used for Gaming - ("From Scratch like Zen2")
-Focused on Gaming
-Lower power, higher clocks

Radeon DNA (RDNA):
-Brand new compute unit design
-Focused on efficiency, IPC
-Streamlined graphics engine
-1.25x IPC (over Vega?)
-1.5x Perf/Watt (over Vega?)

I am disappointed, to be honest. AMD is taking a huge die shrink only to match today's nVidia and Intel parts. Imagine if both had 7nm, they'd leap in performance.
Your forgetting one thing.
Nvidia dont want to make huge jumps in performance because they wont benefit from it, they already control the market.
AMD is targeting the mainstream so let nvidia take the flagship spot that way the people who want to throw their money away can.If I had my way AMD would stop making gaming cards just so the nvidia prices get out of control. Be glorious to see people complaining regretting their actions.
But I dont think it will ever happen, its a real pity. All AMD gets is criticism and the only people who benefit from them competing are the people who buy nvidia hardware as its forced to lower prices.

Your forgetting one thing.
Nvidia dont want to make huge jumps in performance because they wont benefit from it, they already control the market.
AMD is targeting the mainstream so let nvidia take the flagship spot that way the people who want to throw their money away can.If I had my way AMD would stop making gaming cards just so the nvidia prices get out of control. Be glorious to see people complaining regretting their actions.
But I dont think it will ever happen, its a real pity. All AMD gets is criticism and the only people who benefit from them competing are the people who buy nvidia hardware as its forced to lower prices.
Well yeah. We have two companies making graphics cards but one of them can’t compete in certain areas and seems to be consistently second rate. So to balance it out we either need to make Nvidia worse or AMD better. People criticise AMD for not being better. We are hardly going to criticise Nvidia for not being worse!

Back