AMD's X2 Processors on my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomnia

I currently have a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ in my computer, but I want to look into AMD's dual core processors, but I have a couple of questions. I've read in a review that you may have to update your BIOS;

AMD says the Athlon 64 X2 should fit into existing motherboards with only a BIOS update, provided that the motherboard can deliver enough power to drive a current 90nm Athlon 64 processor. Existing Socket 939 CPU heat sink/fan combos should be sufficient to cool an X2, as well. As always, you'll want to check with your motherboard maker before assuming your mobo will work with the new chip. There are always exceptions.
Source

I have a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert and a 650W Silverstone PSU, will a X2 processor work on my motherboard or will I have to update/flash my BIOS?

I have a Thermalright XP120 with FAN for my CPU, it's at 29 °C (84 °F) now. Will that be enough?

What does DFI say on their website for this motherboard model. If they are posting a new BIOS, you should probably install it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back