Ams491.dat unable to run error on startup - HJT log attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I startup my computer it gets an error that "ams491.dat" is unable to start. I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. I also notice that my computer takes a long time to start up and my Symantec Antivirus program takes a good 20 seconds or longer to open whenever I double click on it in the system tray. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This next step is purely optional however viewpoint is considered foistware and is not needed on your computer,

'To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.'

Go to Start > Run and copy/paste or type: taskmgr
  • Under the Processes tab find the following tasks or processes:
    ViewpointService.exe
    ViewMgr.exe
  • Highlight and click "End Process".
  • Exit Task Manager.
Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press "OK".
  • Click the "Extended tab".
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called "Viewpoint Manager Service"
  • When you find the service, double-click on it.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disabled".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > highlight and remove all references to Viewpoint - i.e. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

Finally, delete the following folders if they still exist:
C:\Program Files\ViewManager\ <-- and delete this folder
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\ <-- and delete this folder

I need you to follow all the steps HERE and then post back with the three requested logs as attachments
  • AVG antispyware
  • ComboFix
  • Hijackthis (step 15)

Dont forget to make sure that AVG is set to quarantine the results, that HJT is the last step and to let us know the results of the antirootkit scan.

Good luck and welcome to techspot.

This thread is for the use of aaronlog only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back