An Intel sound driver is behind a Windows 11 BSOD, Microsoft posts workaround

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: If you've been getting a blue screen of death on Windows 11 and you have Intel Smart Sound Technology installed, you might want to check its driver version. Microsoft flagged the issue this week and has offered a workaround.

This week, Microsoft added a compatibility problem with the Intel Smart Sound Technology driver to its list of known issues in Windows 11. In addition to causing blue screens, the bug may prevent users from upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Microsoft says the affected driver is located in Device Manager > System Devices under Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) Audio Controller. The file name should be IntcAudioBus.sys, and the file version should be either 10.29.0.5152 and earlier or 10.30.0.5152 and earlier.

It's important to note that versions starting with 10.30 aren't necessarily newer than those starting with 10.29. It can be a bit counterintuitive, but the two appear to be from separate version histories. When looking at the files, the last section of numbers—the "5152," is the most important. Microsoft's workaround is to upgrade those drivers to version 10.29.00.5714 and 10.30.00.5714. You'll have to check with your computer's manufacturer for those drivers.

"You will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it," writes Microsoft.

Updating those drivers should let users upgrade to Windows 11, but the listing says it can take up to 48 hours before the upgrade offer appears.

Microsoft also says to contact your device manufacturer if an upgrade isn't available yet. It warns that users should not manually upgrade using the "Update now" button or the Media Creation Tool until the issue is resolved.

Ironically, Microsoft brought the old blue screen of death back to Windows 11 just this week. It had initially switched to a black BSoD, but users apparently preferred the soothing blue of the famous Windows crash screen.

Permalink to story.

Wow, so they listened to comments about the BSOD? Maybe they'll listen to comments about Windows 11's other UI shortcomings, too.

In 15 years I've never had a stitch of trouble with Intel's IGP or sound drivers. M$ fixed that, big time.
I had trouble with Intel IGP drivers recently. I had to do a clean uninstall and reinstall them because some games were crashing while launching because of a bug with the drivers. It was hard to track down the issue and figure out why games stopped working.

I had trouble with Intel IGP drivers recently. I had to do a clean uninstall and reinstall them because some games were crashing while launching because of a bug with the drivers. It was hard to track down the issue and figure out why games stopped working.
Maybe that's why I never had trouble with them, since I only do boomer things with my computers. No gaming, just searching for the perfect erotica, some Photoshop and making a nuisance of myself at Techspot..

Which is not to say I haven't had my share of issues with video cards.

I have an old Intel P-43 Gigabyte board. I'm trying to put a GT-730 in for the extra Vram. I had to get the XP drivers here, since Nvidia no longer has XP drivers on their site.

OK, I put the 730 in, install the drivers, and it works, but it blinks to black periodically. So, I dug up a dual link DVI cable. it blinks black less often, but longer. Next morning, I fire the turd up, and get hard crash black screens. But, I stuff in a GT-710, and it's been working perfectly..

The 730 is rated at 50 watts, the 710 at only 20. I'm thinking 10 or 11 years is all you can expect to get out of a PSU, so I ordered a 500 watt EVGA from Newegg. Hey, they were on sale for $40.00, with a $5.00 promo code. How can I go wrong, even if the old Antec is still good, and the 730 is bad?

I would think the 380 watt Antec should pull the system with only a Core 2 Duo E-7100 @65 watts. But hey, time marches on.

Seriously though, every time I've had issues with video cards or their drivers, I yank the card, and the Intel IGP has been there working perfectly, right on cue. YRMV

Here's a blood curdling mezzo doing a boomer classic. You can use it to check out your sound driver

Not your taste in girl singers? Perhaps Alissa White-Gluz would be more to your liking:

Last edited:

Here's a blood curdling mezzo doing a boomer classic. You can use it to check out your sound driver

Not your taste in girl singers? Perhaps Alissa White-Gluz would be more to your liking:

Arch enemy? That’s not boomer music, they formed in 1995, most of you guys had paid off your pathetically tiny mortgages by the time these guys formed. This is Gen X music. Or an early part of the “Nu Metal” Millenial generation I guess.

Arch enemy? That’s not boomer music, they formed in 1995
In truth, I'm not a big fan of "Arch Enemy". I am however, a huge fan of, "Kamelot". (Yes, even with Tommy Karevik on vocals).
Ms. White-Gluz does some exceptional work with them, to the extent of actually singing in full voice, instead of growling.

Witness "Liar, Liar", from "Haven".

Long story short, I still can't abide the seminal metal groups such as "Metallica". This drove me to country, which went completely to sh!t in the late 90's. A few years back, I discovered "symphonic metal". It has everything I've always relished, female singers, power, and an intrinsic melodic sensibility.

Hence, I now have another genre to add to my existing love of prog rock, and country.. Keeps my mind occupied and fresh.

Back