Analogue brings back its premium NES clone for one last run

Shawn Knight

Staff member
One last chance: Premium retro console maker Analogue Interactive is conducting one last run of its high-end Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom. If you’ve been kicking yourself for missing out on earlier runs, now might be the time to act.

Dubbed the Nt mini v2, the new console features an updated and “perfected” NES cartridge slot as well as a refreshed user interface. Buyers also get updated branding, new packaging and a new 8BitDo 2.4g controller bundled in.

Aesthetically, you’re looking at an aluminum anodized chassis with a gun metal finish, gold-plated I/O ports and transparent controller ports. Otherwise, it’s the same Nt mini that was previously offered.

The original Analogue Nt broke cover in mid-2014 at a staggering $499. The system uses the exact same CPU and PPU that were found in the original machine from Nintendo – the Ricoh 20A3 and Ricoh 2C02. Port selection is aplenty, with HDMI, RGB, Component, S-Video and Composite on the video side as well as analogue audio and a microphone input. Power and USB also come standard.

Still, that’s a lot to pay for a system that can readily be found second-hand for far cheaper. But the Analogue Nt is as much a work of art and a love letter to the past as it is a simple workhorse and for serious retro enthusiasts, that carries a lot of value.

Interested parties can pre-order the Nt mini Noir for $499. According to Analogue, this will be the final run for the system so you may want to get it while it lasts.

Permalink to story.

Never under estimate the blind, rose tinted nostalgia of the millennials, even though all the NES games, if we're being honest, look & play crap, when viewed through an adults eyes.

Just leave it in the past and don't waste your money.

I'm guessing this piece of junk didn't sell well 6 years ago, so they're going to try again. Same price for the same 6+ year old hardware that's in there. Yeah, these will sell like hotcakes! haha

I still have mine

nothing runs the software like the OEM equipment.

Attachments

• 43722A26-2FA3-460F-8370-D583B2556058.jpeg
    43722A26-2FA3-460F-8370-D583B2556058.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 4
Never under estimate the blind, rose tinted nostalgia of the millennials,
I agree with this.

even though all the NES games, if we're being honest, look & play crap, when viewed through an adults eyes.
Not so sure I agree with this.
Excitebike, Mario 1, 2 and 3, Zelda, Tetris, Punchout, Contra, Duck Hunt, TMNT Arcade, Double Dragon, BubbleBobble, Tecmo Superbowl, Blades of Steel, ext. All of those are playable and, while I don't care to ever play them again, someone who never has might get some real genuine fun out of them.

Never under estimate the blind, rose tinted nostalgia of the millennials, even though all the NES games, if we're being honest, look & play crap, when viewed through an adults eyes.

Just leave it in the past and don't waste your money.
Your opinion is for the closed minded and inexperienced. I am not a Millennial and yet I find great enjoyment of NES games, not to mention GameBoy, SNES, Master System, TG-16/TurboDuo games.

Your narrow perspective is yours alone.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this piece of junk didn't sell well 6 years ago, so they're going to try again. Same price for the same 6+ year old hardware that's in there. Yeah, these will sell like hotcakes! haha
You would be wrong. It sold out and likely will again.

$499? maybe if it was a NES/SNES/Megadrive/Genesis box with 100 ROMS of each system included. maybe.

pretty much. I'm in the old millennial camp, (1980) but I don't understand it. I grew up on NES but have no desire to play it anymore.

There's a typo in this article: "20A3" instead of "2A03".

Also, you might point out explicitly that unlike the original Analogue Nt, the Nt mini and Nt mini Noir do not have authentic 2A03s in them, as they are FPGA driven like the AVS...

Back