Analysts believe the Note series is finished

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Will there ever be another Galaxy Note? What once seemed like an improbable scenario has been looking more likely over the last few years as the increasingly large S series makes Samsung’s other main flagship less relevant. With the Galaxy S21 Ultra offering S-Pen support, some analysts and leakers believe we won’t see a Galaxy Note 21.

Rumors that Samsung could discontinue its long-running Galaxy Note series arrived last Summer. With a crowded high-end lineup that includes the Flip and Fold handsets, the company is reportedly looking to streamline its flagship offerings.

It used to be that the Note series, with its larger display and included stylus, was the preferred choice for professionals, but the S series has been growing ever similar to its sibling in terms of size and specs. The only real difference had been support for the S-Pen, but that changed with the the Galaxy S21 Ultra—though the stylus is an optional extra. It will also be supported on other future Samsung devices.

One person who believes the Galaxy Note brand has been discontinued is renowned and reliable leaker Ice Universe. They tweeted a simple “The End” card with the words “Galaxy Note” above it (via Tom's Hardware).

Ice Universe isn’t alone in his belief. Other analysts agree that the Note series is over, though some think Samsung will release an FE version of the Note 20, just as it did with the Galaxy S20 FE.

Not all reports point to the brand’s demise. Yonhap News last month wrote that Samsung is “preparing to release the next Galaxy Note,” in 2021, citing an anonymous official within the firm.

As someone who’s been a Note user since the Note 3, it would be sad to see the series come to an end. But all signs point toward its death.

Permalink to story.

Uncle Al

Admittedly the Note is a bit dated BUT it still offers a lot of functionality that most flip or foldable phones just don't have and while the sales are not as strong, they certainly are not losing money on them. Samsung didn't get to where they are by being foolish or just plain stupid .... I think the assumption they will cease product is more along the line of "click bait" that it is reality, but as with all things ... time will tell.

duckofdeath

It has nothing to do with being dated or unpopular, they're making the Fold the new Note.
Remember when you guys kept complaining that the Note isn't uber flagship enough any more. Now it'll be uber-ultra-pro-maxxxed flagshippy. :)

QuantumPhysics

Remember when journos tried to meme "tablets are going to replace the PC" into reality? No reason. Lol

Tablets are content consumers.

PCs are content producers.

Until someone builds a tablet that has 1:1 performance comparison with a Core i9 10900, 32GB of DDR4 and a RTX 3090, that whole noise is dead.

No Tablet will ever be anywhere near a high-end PC of its time.

mbrowne5061

Until someone builds a tablet that has 1:1 performance comparison with a Core i9 10900, 32GB of DDR4 and a RTX 3090, that whole noise is dead.

I'm just going to point out that the majority of PC users are content consumers, not content producers - at least not producing anything more than Word and Excel documents. Tablets are still dumb, but your logic doesn't hold up when trying to explain why they are dumb (its just the poor excuse for software performance across the board - fine for Youtube and Facebook, terrible for anything else)

terzaerian

Tablets are still dumb, but your logic doesn't hold up when trying to explain why they are dumb (its just the poor excuse for software performance across the board - fine for Youtube and Facebook, terrible for anything else)
And poor interface precision, build quality, thermals, peripherals, monitor calibration, storage capacity....

Tams80

It seems that this year there will still be a Note.

I think a lot of it depends on how development of the S Pen (Wacom EMR) on foldable displays is going. If they can get that right, then the Note line may well end/get merged into the Fold line. Perhaps they'd even call it the Note Fold.

What I'd like to see though, is the Note line continuing and going back to its time as the peak of Samsung. Being a true powerusers device, with all the features. Headphone jack, mSD reader, IR transmitter, hell even a replaceable battery. And it could ride of the S series, with the S series being the one that brings new features to Samsung devices.

DrSuess

They don't really need to. We use tablets that connect to AWS and Azure clouds that have substantially more computing power than Core i9 10900, 32GB of DDR4 and a RTX 3090, and low latency connection.

You can already play PC games on a phone/tablet that has little computing power thanks to GamePass and Stadia. So a tablet/phone does not need PC level computing power to perform the same task, you just need a powerful backend.

Shadowboxer

I think you would be surprised at how powerful modern iPads are. They have surpassed most windows laptops, desktops won’t be far off. Look at the new M1 chip in the MacBook Pro, it’s effectively a beefed up iPad chip and its incredible. My iPad Pro is far faster and more capable than my Ryzen 5 ultrabook.

toooooot

I never understood the Note, it’s too dam big to be a good mobile phone. But then again I am quite small myself.
The only time I agree is when my other hands is busy and I am trying to press buttons. But as someone who reads on the phone a lot, trhere is no such thing as a phone large enough.