Android 4.0: Tracking ICS's Availability on Smartphones

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/534-android-40-ics-availability/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/534-android-40-ics-availability/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

This is the exact reason that the ONLY phone I would ever get is the official Google Phones with all the latest OS Updates. I don't understand people who will go out of their way to buy the most powerful out today when it has Android 2.3.5 on it. It's like going out and buying a powerful gaming PC with Windows XP on it. Yeah it probably works pretty well but just imagine how much better it could be with Window 7? And for all of you XP fanboys please shut it!

Wow... you could've wrote that without all the anger dude... you missed your coffee this morning or something?

I love my LG Optimus One, I know its a bit old... but it does the trick perfectly =) (I actually have been thinking in changing it... but there is actually no need at all) and you can always install a rom wether you have or not the ability to oficialy do so. Don't see the problem.

<p>This is the exact reason that the ONLY phone I would ever get is the official Google Phones with all the latest OS Updates. I don't understand people who will go out of their way to buy the most powerful out today when it has Android 2.3.5 on it. It's like going out and buying a powerful gaming PC with Windows XP on it. Yeah it probably works pretty well but just imagine how much better it could be with Window 7? And for all of you XP fanboys please shut it!</p>

You're assuming everyone cares about ICS as much as you, which we don't. By the time it gets skinned, I'm not really missing it. Rather have a more powerful proc, more RAM, and a better screen. So why don't you shut it yourself? I ran XP for almost ten years, and it was magnificent.

This article seems a bit strange to me. It's a pretty unreasonable expectation to expect the update to be made available for every recent phone in their lineup, as soon as it's released. There is always a latency period of about 6 months before new versions of Android disseminate into the market en mass because development work and integration take time. And it's not exactly a dirty secret that OEM's are going to target their premium devices first, it's basic economics.

No offense but personally I'm finding it insane that we've reached a point where the customer has to wait over six months to receive the latest major OS version. Hell, companies like Sony still release flagship devices with Android 2.3 installed! It's pretty much the reason why I won't get an Android phone in the future unless this changes.

Interesting.. well, it's still better than to choose between two colors.

It's perfectly normal. Google releases Android with a HAL for one specific SoC, a TI OMAP nobody uses in the case of ICS. Phone builders do not get access to ICS during the development process. That means that as soon as ICS is out for the Nexus devices, all other manufacturers first have to build a completely new HAL and kernel. Then fix their own software. Then fix all third party software they have to include. Then push it out for certification (which takes about a month), then push it out to carriers and regional offices for regional testing and adjustments, and THEN they can release it.

6 months is long, but it's quite normal it always takes about 3-4 months.

Why do Apple and Microsoft not have these issues? Because they have very strict hardware control. Apple makes all their hardware themselves, and all Windows Phones run on the same SoCs with the same HAL. Because the update is then released globally it looks like it's fast, but both Apple and Microsoft have to do the same internal and external testing and certifications before they can push an update.

Google does seem willing to improve it, and they've said they will give manufacturers more time to adjust. Add to that that Android 2.3 to Android 4 is a HUGE step on system level and you have nothing but perfectly valid reasons why the update takes a while.

It's not even that big a deal really. Sure the interface looks slightly better, and sure the hardware acceleration does 'something' in some apps, but it all doesn't matter that much. My Xperia S is running 2.3.7 now, it's extremely fast, extremely stable, and it runs every app I found without issues. The stability and compatibility of ICS still aren't on Gingerbread-level you know.

No offense but personally I'm finding it insane that we've reached a point where the customer has to wait over six months to receive the latest major OS version. Hell, companies like Sony still release flagship devices with Android 2.3 installed! It's pretty much the reason why I won't get an Android phone in the future unless this changes.
No offense, but have you considered the fact that some codes are so well written, they don't need any updates for a long time? Or that some developers, unlike Google Chrome's, honestly introduce something new in the code, which takes a real long time?

Personally I've come to the conclusion that good OSs' skip a generation (2000 > ME> XP > Vista > 7).
If this update won't improve battery life, the extra performance is useless. Improve that, and I'll change my opinion.

If you're happy with GB, then I don't know why you are here arguing that ICS, an OS you haven't used, isn't a big deal. It is a big deal for people that actually use their phone for more than just text and making calls. It's a HUGE deal to those people.

I hate the "don't fix what ain't broke" generation/way of thinking with a passion. You were happy with XP for 10 years? Then why are you reading technology sites and commenting on current technology you obviously have no use for? You don't speak for the rest of us, so WTF?! That doesn't even make sense. Thanks for holding technology back for the rest of us you old farts.

SMH.

This seems to be one area where a lesser known handset maker like Hauwei could really excel at breaking into the android space. I think any OEM that promises (and delivers) timely android updates for the life of their phones (say at least 2 years) could really sway people away from the big players.

I have used 2.3 on my HP touchpad and now am using ICS on it for about 3 months...and 4.0 ICS is a lot better! Faster, cleaner and I love the multi-tasking.

Not sure if this directly translates to an experience on a phone but I would get it if you can.

I see my latest T-Mobile Android OS 2.3.5 Rooted Smartphone didn't make the cut yet from Samsung. ICS 4.0.3 vs JB 5.0 or even yet to be release KLP 6.0 out in 2013. JB 5.0 more optimized for Dual and Quad Core with a JB 5.0 Lite for Single Core phones and tables. ICS 4.0 has it's fair share of glitches in the OS and that's why the JB 5.0 is out on only certain Android Smart Phones.

<p>Personally I've come to the conclusion that good OSs' skip a generation (2000 > ME> XP > Vista > 7).</p>

Really. You bought Me too? Everyone I seem to run into on the internet complains how awful Me was.

If MS got a dollar for every person on the internet who complains about how shitty Me was, it would have been the best selling OS of all time.

MS Metro 8 Tablet due out here in USA during Labor day or whenever back to school starts. If MS doesn't release it then Xmas? Right now Android and Apple rule the tablet market. Time for 3rd player to start a rumple into that tight market. I am looking for Windows Tablet but not at over price marketing prices. So many have gone to Android since you can buy a tablet for less than $100 bucks today. You can not print to WiFi Printer using Print Share app So you can save files, view office files and more on Android but remote desktop still and issue.

Hmm, Galaxy S II in Canada now (Whats the big difference?)... so sprint is the best phone company data wise and it's the only one that wont be getting the S II update? WTF

Wow... you could've wrote that without all the anger dude... you missed your coffee this morning or something?

I love my LG Optimus One, I know its a bit old... but it does the trick perfectly =) (I actually have been thinking in changing it... but there is actually no need at all) and you can always install a rom wether you have or not the ability to oficialy do so. Don't see the problem.

Did my post actually sound angry? Seriously it wasn't. As you I too have an Optimus One (US Cellular version) that I REALLY do like. It actually does work quite well aside from a few glitches. Now, it is still on 2.2. Just imagine how much better it would run if it were on 2.3? Will it ever be on 2.3? No. Why? Because of all the the stuff that surrounds Android.

You're assuming everyone cares about ICS as much as you, which we don't. By the time it gets skinned, I'm not really missing it. Rather have a more powerful proc, more RAM, and a better screen. So why don't you shut it yourself? I ran XP for almost ten years, and it was magnificent.

YOU don't care. Not "We" as you state. And again, why have all of that additional processing power and ram if you can't use it efficiently? How many years and how many bumps in processing power did it take for Android to run perfectly smooth? You tell me that. You couldn't even switch pages without some sort of stutter. Even on some of the most powerful phones. And again, XP works just fine, but Windows 7 at the very least technically works much better. I ran fine with XP for years too but I'll be the first to say that Windows 7 is superior.

Really. You bought Me too? Everyone I seem to run into on the internet complains how awful Me was.

If MS got a dollar for every person on the internet who complains about how shitty Me was, it would have been the best selling OS of all time.

I didn't buy ME, it's my observation. ME sucked.

Did my post actually sound angry? Seriously it wasn't. As you I too have an Optimus One (US Cellular version) that I REALLY do like. It actually does work quite well aside from a few glitches. Now, it is still on 2.2. Just imagine how much better it would run if it were on 2.3? Will it ever be on 2.3? No. Why? Because of all the the stuff that surrounds Android.

Mine is on 2.3.3 officialy supported by my mobile company, in Chile, SA.

If a manufacturer is struggling to keep their phones updated then they should take a leaf out of Apple's book and reduce the number of models. HTC and Sony are doing; offer High, Medium and Low budget phone. Keep it simple and everyone benefits. I see no reason why companies need to reason dozens of variants; variety is important but stretching yourself thin is a bad thing.
I mean, take a look at the Motorola Xoom, not a phone but runs Android; the US version got ICS in Jan whereas pretty much the entire rest of the world is still waiting... and for what? Is my UK version of ICS going to see that extra 5 months+ of waiting time translate to a better OS experience?

Android is advancing so quickly that previous generations can't run the latest versions so they don't get upgraded, if you want the latest and greatest, pay up stfu.

There is an issue caused by carriers delaying updates so they can add their own bloatware and manufactures updating their own custom themes, if you buy a carrier-branded-non-Google phone then you have accepted this.

This is the MAIN reason the last 2 smartphones I've purchased have been bought via Amazon or direct from the manufacturer. Granted, Dell had no clue how to advertise the Streak, but, even with 2.2.2 is was a good device. I bought my non branded Note via Amazon Germany last December, because I suspected from past instances, that at&t doesn't give a hoot about updating any of its carrier branded devices, save for the iJunk. Not to mention, 99% of the time, if you purchase a carrier device, it will come with bloatware & have features locked out.
It's time for carriers to just be a pipe, and allow anyone to purchase any phone, that works with their network, but the "fat dumb & happy" people of the USA, think you can get a "bargin" with a 50 dollar phone, not realizing that after the 2 year contract, they have spent well over what a full retail price phone would cost, and use something like straight talk.

ICS on Samsung s2 - Careful what you wish for, my update has trashed my wifi and I'm going back to gingerbread, soon as I figure out how.

Back