Angry Birds Space downloaded 10 million times in first three days

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Angry Birds maker Rovio has announced via Twitter that the latest release in the bird-flinging series was downloaded more than 10 million times during the three-day opening weekend. The early success of Angry Birds Space could make it the fastest selling app of all time if the trend continues.

Trusted Reviews has done the math which comes out to 38 downloads a second, every second, over the three-day period. The game sells for $0.99 in the iTunes store and is available free of charge (albeit ad-supported) on Android.

angry birds space angry birds space

Space was launched with a massive marketing campaign that is usually reserved for Hollywood films and high-profile franchise video games. On Thursday, a massive 35-foot tall Angry Bird was loaded into an even large slingshot that was perched on the side of the Space Needle in Seattle. The LA Times also points out that Rovio partnered with Walmart, NASA, T-Mobile, National Geographic and MTV to promote the new title.

As the name suggests, the latest iteration takes the Angry Birds to the final frontier as they continue to wage war against the evil pigs that can’t get enough bird eggs. The new game adds plenty of elements to keep things interesting including gravity bands that affect the trajectory of our feathered friends during flight, new birds with varying abilities and new superpowers to experiment with. The initial release features 60 interstellar levels but Rovio promises to update the game regularly with new content.

Permalink to story.

Unfortunately I decided to take the plunge and download Angry Birds Space, to find out what all this fuzz is about, and it happily crashes after 2-3 levels on my HTC Sensation (still on gingerbread). So moral of the story, I'd rather stick with my favorite pool game I play during meetings ;p

Why pay for an overpriced under performing phone when I can have the game for free and a phone that does what I want it to...

Ha you'd rather see the ads then pay 99 cents. El Cheaporio you are ... exactly what google needs.

I uninstalled Space in a matter of days. It's less satisfying than other versions of Angry Birds. It also seems to have been designed for pad rather than phone. Also the ads are quite a bit more intrusive and actually interfere with the game, whereas earlier versions you could usually play around the banner ads. In fact it seems Rovio has gone back to those earlier games and added bigger and more invasive ads to them as well. With all the ad space and multiple loading of content, the game is more sluggish. It’s simply no fun anymore. Angry Birds RIP.

Guest said:
Ha you'd rather see the ads then pay 99 cents. El Cheaporio you are ... exactly what google needs.
No.. I'd rather see some ads instead of paying 99 cents on game and and 700$ on phone.

Sevrin said:
Guest said:
No.. I'd rather see some ads instead of paying 99 cents on game and and 700$ on phone.

You did pay $700 for your phone as well.

Plus I don't understand why anyone would tolerate the ad's in this game, they really are right in the way this time round!

Plus if your prepared to spend that much on a phone, how much REALLY is £59? I mean, really?

guest user is freedom!!!
thats why it is!!
anyway, old angry birds was boring, this is awesome. i start and end the day with it!

I just purchased my copy for $5.95, If you're bragging about getting it on a torrent or any other illegal way. You are telling us how much integrity you have as a person. Think about it.

Back