Anonymous member claims responsibility for GoDaddy hack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Domain registrar and hosting company GoDaddy is experiencing outages that could potentially affect millions of websites. The issues were first noticed around 10 a.m. PT and have been intermittent since then, a spokesperson for GoDaddy told CBS News. The outages have impacted their site as well as those belonging to customers.

The publication notes that calls to GoDaddy customer support are being redirected to a voice message stating they are aware of the situation and that it involves multiple services including email and web hosting. The message further suggests that customers keep an eye on their official Twitter feed for additional updates.

A member of hacker group Anonymous is already claiming responsibility for the attack according to some accounts reportedly linked to the group. @TibitXimer tweeted earlier: “Basically, every GoDaddy site on the planet just crashed.”

The motive for an attack on GoDaddy becomes clear after reading the following post from @AnonOpsLegion: “By using / supporting Godaddy, you are supporting censorship of the Internet.” This of course is in reference to the company’s controversial stance on the Stop Online Piracy Act that garnered a wealth of media attention late last year. GoDaddy reportedly lost over 37,000 domain names as a result of “move your domain day” on December 29.

It’s worth pointing out that Anonymous’ credibility has been called into question as of late. The group recently claimed responsibility for stealing 12 million Apple UDIDs from a federal agent’s notebook using a Java vulnerability. The data was made public to showcase what they claim was the FBI’s alleged tracking of Apple devices but as it turns out, only part of their story is true.

Anonymous did obtain legitimate Apple UDIDs and publish them online but they weren’t gathered from an FBI agent’s computer. Instead, the data was stolen from digital publishing firm BlueToad within the last two weeks. It appears the FBI involvement was fabricated to further their agenda.

Permalink to story.

And just when you think the hacking groups have gotten the message of the public, this shows up. Just because GoDaddy supported SOPA, as is their given right, doesnt mean that ANON or anyone else has the right to shut them down. As we are pretty sure most of these hacker groups are based in the US, all they are doing is trodding on the rights of others. They have become the enemy that they are trying to fight. They have become the ones censoring. Seems to me that they should just give up and start over.

Im all for stopping internet censorship, but the media coorporations are a better target then the people just trying to freaking survive.

I hope GoDaddy stays down. Their website is a cluster **** of ads. Just trying to checkout for a domain registration? Look at all our million other services! They're only popular because they spent a fortune with ads with sex symbols in it. They're a horrible company otherwise.

Once again, tip of the hat to ANON. it is every registrar's responisbility to ensure that their clients data and webpages are kept safe and secure. I do agree that the media outlets would be a better target, but if they go down, ANON's agenda wont be as widespread as they would like.

Yeah, what a bunch of gits. So it basically goes like this: GoDaddy supported SOPA, there was public outcry and cancelled accounts, so GoDaddy decided to pull its support from SOPA. Then many months later someone runs a DDoS attack on GoDaddy and claims it's because of that support. Which they already pulled back. For a proposal that already died. What's the message here? I say well done to those who voted with their wallets when it counted, and Anonymous, just die, will you?

And SharkSoban, the data is safe and sound (and you're confusing a registrar with a hosting service, but it's forgivable since GoDaddy is both). All the attack did was interfere with the service.

[FONT=Arial]The company where I work uses GoDaddy and this affected our business and being in IT I had to deal with everyone’s complaints and explain what was going on. I have no say if we use GoDaddy or someone else as this is a business decision at higher levels. As stated GoDaddy changed their stance on SOPA after they lost business, so why now so much later someone attacks them? The IT staff here and other places as well as many businesses are the innocent victims of this attack. How much support do you think you brought to your cause?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]This raises a bigger question; do these attacks really change anything? I believe it only causes more problems. If you want to bring awareness then do so in a peaceful means, such as the ‘move your domain day’ which was actually effective in creating change. Attacking only brings a response that you do not want. Essentially you are saying if someone does something we don’t agree with we will bully you. Think about it, if you were ever bullied how did that make you feel? Did that ever make you want to follow the bully’s direction? If you really want to change the world, participate in creating it and not destroying it. [/FONT]

GoDaddy is now saying this was not an attack but a server problem. You may then skip the first paragraph above as we can now put the full blame on GoDaddy. The second paragraph still rings true with any type of attacks, internet or real world.

Could anonymous just be the government fabricating little stories so they can change there laws surely its the hackers who develop and deploy the likes of that stuxnet virus etc who are the ones to be worried about

Back