Another BSOD 0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running WinXP Pro SP2 on a P4VMA-M 7.x Board
Have had the board for some time with only 256mb of Ram and works fine with the stock stick. However when the stick is changed out or another stick is placed in the second slot the beast goes into a repeating reboot cycle, going to the load windows screen and rebooting after a few moments before the login screen. After managing to time the pause/break at the right time in order to see the BSOD I recieved this error:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80615860, 0xF8B0BBF4, 0X00000000)

The replacement memory is a stick of Crucial RAM and is supposedly compatible as well as it works in another system I have. This is the second time this has happened with a number of different memory sticks all of which worked in another computer, the other sticks were identical to the stock stick in all matter except for being 512mb instead of 256mb.

When I attempt to run memtest86 or microsofts equivalent with a new stick of ram in the programs do not even complete loading up. One just reboots endlessly before the program begins the test the other will start to run the tests only to spit out gobbly **** characters over the gui and freezes up.

Any suggestions, I would rather hope that this is not a tragic case of the mobo having a strong attraction to that little stick of RAM making me need to get another mobo. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back