Another "Generic Host Process For Win32 Service" error....

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this forum, and have little technical insight.

I'm on PC running Windows XP, installed about one year ago. First encountered a problem yesterday that I will be exploring later today. Seek your input.

After a few minutes of routine Web surfing, my screen froze. I powered off
to reboot, and began to receive "Generic Host Process For Win32 Service" problem messages and "Dr. Watson Postmortem debugger" error messages -- pointing to problems in my C: document files. (suffixes are \svchost.exe.mdmp and \appcompat.txt)

Symptoms -- I cannot open or manipulate desktop folders, "My Computer" icon, or Control Panel. Attempts lead to error message and/or momentary blank screen before refreshing. Web browsing and Exchange e-mail access is functioning. Haven't yet explored all applications.

I ran some Norton Utililities including Win Doctor, which cleaned up a raft
of "medium" problems, and plan to run a full virus scan later, and try some spyware eradicator.

Any ideas about what I might be looking at?

Thanks

Same errors here. I've had it 2 or 3 times, and everything works fine, except email. I can receive, but not send email. Outlook, OE, and Eudora all receive email normally, but attempts to send now fail. The error reports finding the smtp server, but gets no response.

I just recently having the same problem in my office, and trying hard to get solutions.

The problem has been encountered even i have just my hard disk formated because of viruses. But I got an idea after surfing to many websites in my home PC and that clicked my mind. I don't have problem with my Home PC in which i never formated even I m sure there's some viruse in it. but I encountered this problem in my office after formated the C drive!

Solution: Ever since I installed • C:\Program Files\HP\ ...
or HP may be replaced by Hewlett-Packard. The subdirectory normally has "update" in it, and you should find and run an EXE file that connects you to the Internet and updates all the drivers automatically. Alternatively, you may try to search for the drivers for your HP device on the Hewlett-Packard website.

In fact, later I found out that I discovered a wheel: Microsoft agrees that the old or expired HP drivers are responsible for the bug. A Hewlett-Packard page offers a more complicated explanation that you will hopefully avoid. It is likely that the microscopic reason of the bug is that the HP drivers incorrectly interact with the firewall.

Ever Since I intalled HP, I got the problem in my all office PCs!, so i got 4 Pc there, all of them corrupted.

To ALL of you having this problem, try to further identify it by checking for corresponding Error in the Event Viewer:
Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr

Description of the Event Viewer:
Unfortunately, many Windows XP users aren't aware of the Event Viewer, what it is, where it is, how it can help with a problem:
The Event Viewer has logs for everything that happens on the computer. There are three sets of logs: System, Applications and Security. By opening the first two to display the Events, you can look for Errors that correspond to the time of the problem- in your case, the crash.

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
2. Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
3. Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should. Each Errors has three parts: an ID#, a Source and a Description. By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
Click to open the log> look for the Error> right click on the Error> Properties> Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V)

You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.

Please do not copy the entire Event log.

"Generic Host Processes" are part of Windows XP OS. Many processes and Services run under this name. You have to find out which one if having the problem.

Find Error fist, then depending on that, understand that malware can be spoofed under this heading also.

Hi i'm new on this forum. I had the same problem with "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem" on Windows XP SP3. I tried many things, smitfraudfix, hijackthis. But it did not clean the problem.

Because I read that some peoples corrected it by installing SP3. I uninstalled the Service pack 3 update from my computer. I restarted and I reinstall SP3. and I installed all the updates left from microsoft web sites. And since the problem disappeared.

So I hope that it can help someone !!

Have a nice day !

Regards

Generic Service Host Process for Win32 Services encountered an error...

I had this problem, kept shutting down MS Office programs repeatedly. I had recently loaded XP Service Pack 3, and more recently installed AVG 8.5. In my many efforts to fix the problem, and thinking it is a registry problem, I finally re-installed AVG 8.5 and as it started up I selected "repair this install." That fixed it immediately.

This "repair this install" does check all components of the install and repairs the registry, so I believe that is why it fixed the problem. My advice to others is that, if you have recently installed an application or update, completely uninstall it and reinstall, unless you have a convenient utility such as the one in AVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back