Another program is using task manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool17

Well first off i am not sure if this is the right section... but well my problem is different then most (i think at least) because i also cant d/l and install adaware because the installer is also in use :( So with that said heres my hijack i think theres a lot wrong with this old heap but i hope someone can help :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`re using an outdated version of HijackThis and your system is infected with malware.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Tool17 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

It appears your running three antivirus programmes. These are AVG free, McAfee and Symantec/Norton. This is definitely not recommended, will slow your system down and can cause serious conflicts.

I suggest you uninstall McAfee and Symantec/Norton.

See HERE for instructions on how to remove Symantc/Norton.

Once you`ve done that, please install one of the free firewall programmes below.

Zonealarm or Kerio free firewall programmes.

Then, post a fresh HJT log as well as an AVG Antispyware log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Tool17 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

i would gladly remove them but i get a error it says:
The windows installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. contact you support personnel for assistance.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

That creates one hell of a problem.

Which programme were you trying to uninstall when you got the error message?

Go HERE , download and run the removal tool, as per the instructions. See if that helps.

Then, follow the instructions for removing Symantec/Norton.

i was able to remove all of the nortan and the security center and the virus protection from mcafee but the antispyware from mcafee is being a pain and it didnt even get removed by the program you posted. Any thing else i can do to try and get rid of it? Well if not ill post my new hijack and my avg log.

ps thanks for all your help so far :haha:

Post the new logfiles and I`ll try and manually remove the McAfee programme.

Your AVG log says no action taken for all entries. This is because you haven`t follow the instructions properly for AVG Antispyware. You need to tell the programme to quarantine files.

Your HJT log doesn`t show any signs of McAfee or Norton.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\windows\ALCMTR.EXE

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

Run the Ccleaner programme as per step9 of the instructions HERE.

Post a fresh AVG Antispyware log, if it finds anything.

That`s absolutely fine. It looks like you`re good to go.

You might want to take a look at this thread HERE. It`ll show you how you can keep your system more secure.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back