Another thread about a GPU fan issue

I've searched several other forums and haven't seen anything similar to mine aside from the fan issue. My card is a GTX 970 SC.

I recently took my computer out of its normal spot to clean it, and noticed the fans on my GPU are spinning for about 10-15 seconds then stopping for a little bit, then repeating the cycle. I've had the card for about a year now and am curious how long its been doing this. I'm surprised nothing has exploded! :p

I started up GTA 5 as I know some cards have the intelligent fans that only turn on when it reaches a certain temperature. I launched the game and not even 5 minutes later that card felt like it was on fire! It was hot as can be, fans still doing the 15 second cycle and at that, barely running.

I launched Afterburner to see if I could force the fans on and that works and cools the card down tremendously, but it crashes the game just about every time I force them on.

Any solutions? I've seen other posts said to make sure the RAM is in all the way, cables are on tight, etc. I haven't tried taking out one of the sticks of RAM, but I did double check the cables and made sure everything was on correctly.

Thanks in advance.

970? :p It's a EVGA GeForce.
Sorry....typo. Excellent brand.

Yes.....since its used the warranty should be void....but you never know. I would call/email them and find out. It can't hurt. If it is void...then break it down clean it and reapply thermal paste. I've done it on a old PowerColor AMD 5870. It's a great learning curve.

Sorry for the delayed update everyone!

I found a temporary fix (until I get more time) using MSI Afterburner, they have the startup option for fan speed, so I set that, then I have another preset for when I'm gaming. Without the fans on the card when playing GTA V it said it was at about 125 degrees, with them on it stays around 70ish..............Crazy...

Back