Another thread about a GPU fan issue

By Durake ยท 7 replies
Mar 1, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. I've searched several other forums and haven't seen anything similar to mine aside from the fan issue. My card is a GTX 970 SC.

I recently took my computer out of its normal spot to clean it, and noticed the fans on my GPU are spinning for about 10-15 seconds then stopping for a little bit, then repeating the cycle. I've had the card for about a year now and am curious how long its been doing this. I'm surprised nothing has exploded! :p

I started up GTA 5 as I know some cards have the intelligent fans that only turn on when it reaches a certain temperature. I launched the game and not even 5 minutes later that card felt like it was on fire! It was hot as can be, fans still doing the 15 second cycle and at that, barely running.

I launched Afterburner to see if I could force the fans on and that works and cools the card down tremendously, but it crashes the game just about every time I force them on.

Any solutions? I've seen other posts said to make sure the RAM is in all the way, cables are on tight, etc. I haven't tried taking out one of the sticks of RAM, but I did double check the cables and made sure everything was on correctly.

Thanks in advance.
  2. What brand is your GTX 950?
  3. Durake

Durake TS Rookie Topic Starter

970? :p It's a EVGA GeForce.
  4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,228   +777

Sounds like it may be a warranty issue once you can chart the temperature curve.

Else, replace fan and..
    Durake likes this.
  5. Durake

Would it be okay to assume the warranty is voided since I bought it slightly used?
  6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,228   +777

Yes. In that case consider removing and cleaning fans...see Youtube for videos on 'sticky fan repair'.
    Durake likes this.
  7. Sorry....typo. Excellent brand.

Yes.....since its used the warranty should be void....but you never know. I would call/email them and find out. It can't hurt. If it is void...then break it down clean it and reapply thermal paste. I've done it on a old PowerColor AMD 5870. It's a great learning curve.
    Durake likes this.
  8. Durake

Sorry for the delayed update everyone!

I found a temporary fix (until I get more time) using MSI Afterburner, they have the startup option for fan speed, so I set that, then I have another preset for when I'm gaming. Without the fans on the card when playing GTA V it said it was at about 125 degrees, with them on it stays around 70ish..............Crazy...