Antarctic sea ice levels are declining faster than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
TL;DR: In addition to being the largest reservoir of Earth's fresh water, the Antarctic region plays a vital role in the planet's ecosystem and climate cycle through its sea ice packs. However, this year, sea ice levels haven't rebounded as scientists had anticipated, and this could signify a critical "tipping point" leading to irreversible changes in the climate cycle.

The Anthropocene is here, and the planet may already be beyond the point where climate change can be effectively mitigated, ensuring a decent chance of survival for most of humankind. This, at least, is one potential interpretation of a phenomenon observed by scientists earlier this year when the sea ice formations around Antarctica failed to recover as they typically do during winter.

Antarctic sea ice, typically a few meters thick, forms when seawater freezes during winter and retreats in the summer. However, in 2023, researchers discovered that Antarctic sea ice failed to "substantially" return to usual winter levels. The amount of frozen seawater around the South Pole reached "all-time low" levels in 2016, 2017, and 2022, but 2023 marked an entirely unprecedented milestone.

According to physical oceanographer Edward Doddridge, labeling this new milestone as "unprecedented" is insufficient. He emphasized that it qualifies as "a five-sigma event," meaning it is five standard deviations beyond the mean. Doddridge explained that, if nothing had changed, we would expect to witness a winter like this approximately "once every 7.5 million years."

Sea ice plays an important part in keeping Earth's climate balanced and, well, survivable for human beings and other living species, as it helps the planet regulate its temperature by reflecting part of the Sun's energy back into space through a process known as ice-albedo feedback. Furthermore, the annual cycle of freezing and melting drives global water currents which transport nutrients throughout the oceans and keep entire ecosystems alive.

If there is no Antarctic sea ice anymore, the scientists warn, sunlight will be absorbed by the ocean and temperatures will rise even faster than they are currently. Entire habitats like penguin and seal colonies could die out, while the lifecycle of smaller yet important organisms like krill could be disrupted.

Scientists are trying to understand why sea ice formation around Antarctica has come to a virtual standstill this year. Two significant potential factors have emerged: natural phenomena or human-induced climate change. Doddridge suggests that the latter is likely to blame, and the current situation may worsen in the near future.

According to Doddridge, changes in sea temperature likely disrupted sea ice formation. However, sea ice physicist Petra Heil believes the phenomenon results from a combination of atmospheric changes and warmer seawaters. Heil emphasizes that the entire system is "strongly coupled," and the root cause of the problem lies in human activity. The scientists caution that we might be heading towards a new state for our planet, which could be "quite concerning" for the sustainability of human conditions on Earth.

Permalink to story.

Lololololololololollolooloolooloollolol

the end is always juuuuust around that next corner guys. I also have a bridge to sell

the only solution of course, vote for your friendly neighborhood left wing politician. imagine that.

just dont check his jet habits.

it's also funny how the end of the world (tm) gets a yawn and 4 comments on your local far left wing tech blog. it's almost like noone cares about the boy who cried wolf.

I always enjoy articles based on facts, they make all the pathetic snowflake right wingers cry

200.webp

Seeing how this could have major effects on literally every aspect of everyone's lives, this is fine to post on a tech blog albeit a tangential post.

It's pathetic to see so many people butthurt about having this on their news feeds. For those shouting "This is irrelevant", this will impact how you consume your tech in years to come.

Anyone that believes this is irrelevant is delusional. Anyone that can't spare 5 minutes to care about it is lost.

Oh no, not a "five-sigma"! I can deal with an eight omega, or a ten gamma, but not a five sigma. We just missed that two beta last week! PANIC!

"However, this year, sea ice levels haven't rebounded as scientists had anticipated, and this could signify a critical "tipping point" leading to irreversible changes in the climate cycle."

Guys, things didnt fix themselves in one year, we're DOOOMED!!!11!1!!1!

The hubris of humanity truly known no bounds. The "critical tipping point" is always five years out!

The sad part about half these comments basically shows that people don’t care. I guess that’s living in the moment for them, no thought on how future generations will be effected, just worried about me, me, me.

Seeing this is a “tech” forum, maybe it would be a good start to discuss what technologies can be used to help with the problem? But I’m sure there will be a lot of bashing on solar, wind, and other so called green solutions as they produce as much waste in the long run as just burning up fossil fuels.

How about we all stop acting like inconsiderate citizens of Mother Earth and come up with a meaningful solution? Too much to ask in today’s age?

The sad part about half these comments basically shows that people don’t care. I guess that’s living in the moment for them, no thought on how future generations will be effected, just worried about me, me, me.

Seeing this is a “tech” forum, maybe it would be a good start to discuss what technologies can be used to help with the problem? But I’m sure there will be a lot of bashing on solar, wind, and other so called green solutions as they produce as much waste in the long run as just burning up fossil fuels.

How about we all stop acting like inconsiderate citizens of Mother Earth and come up with a meaningful solution? Too much to ask in today’s age?
Like not using jet planes to contribute to the problem as some of the activists are doing when they are promoting climate change awareness. All most people want is to lead by example not by hypocrisy. The problem is not listening to all the solutions provided and censorship!

update we just want to make you are aware if you stop breathing oxygen today nothing will change if the biggest polluters coming from the eastern hemisphere will still cause the inevitable. Until the activists acknowledge this no one will take this serious!

Last edited:

"waaah why dont you guys want to destroy your life to lower temperature by 0.0001c waaahh?!???!??!"

Maybe when these "activists" start living what they preach, giving up their coastal mega-mansions for bug pods in cities, eating bugs instead of Wagyu steak every night, taking economy seats on a train instead of flying private jets, abstaining from commercial consumption of things like iphones and fancy cars from megacorporations, ece, someone will take them seriously. When they start to suggest sensible changes instead of trying to rip apart our country while ignoring the likes of india and china, when they suggest sensible changes instead of trying to destroy their agricultural output to save a single penguin, when they return to reality from their ivory towers, then maybe we will listen.

Until then, nobody will respect the grifters. And the louder they screech about the sky falling for the umpteenth time, the more people will stop caring about their movement. If they had any self awareness, they would realize this.
Save the politics post for the government shills, not techspot. clean up your act.
Maybe techspot should stop posting political articles if they dont want political comments? Just a thought.

Look at how good it worked for China with one child policy they had....

China is 1.4B and India same. just two countries 2.8B from 8B

population-by-country

Pretty sure they were worried about the lack of a new generation unable to fund pensions and the sick, less tax paying peoples. But thats why first world countries are happy to have more than 2, because of the greedy govt.
You will have wars to level it if you don't do the smarter option.

End of the day people moaned about the state of the economy with lockdowns during covid.
They didn't say, wow pollution is down, don't our lives make no sense. Burning fuels, to go to work, in a job, that makes crap, that gets thrown, to drive home, because that's life and bills, adulting... Just to kill the world for the next generation.

All the roads in the UK at the moment dug up, for Electric cars. Private companies, fleecing the tax payer, to install something that won't work. Genius. But its money, and money even if it's BS wins. As long as the rich stay rich, the poor can F.O.D.

I mean the Saudis, were offering Mbappe, 22 euros a second, in 4 seconds, he earns a days minimum wage in the UK. He earns a days wage to breathe for 4 secs. That, is just so F'd up.

If this is what's cool now I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world, I'm gunna go home and kill myself. ... -Cartman 2008 S12E13

Idk about all these "were all good, it's been the tipping point since forever, you left wing people like panic" guys, but I don't recall having to deal with constant really bad air quality every day all over the entire US due to the global warming caused fires. Canada always has had wild fires before but not THIS bad. If you guys can't see what is happening, you're being willfully ignorant. The hottest days ever (world average) were broken 3 times in one week and people think the left is making it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back