Any way to force open an encrypted file or folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

I had a portable drive at work several years ago that I needed to load some business info
on to transfer to a colleague in another company but wanted to protect the other things on
the drive from being opened.

Being what I now know to be pretty much in the dark about such things, other than maybe
trying to password protect them from opening which I was unable to do at the time, I took
it to the Project (Construction, therefore short term) IT guy who did something to it which
did what I wanted.

It took a little while to get the drive back by which time the project had wound down and
the IT guy was gone, not to be found.

Now I can't open several gb's of data and photos.

The titles are in green font.

I asked the IT guy at my current project if he could help. He hooked it up his laptop and
worked with it for about 15 minutes and said it appeared to be encrypted and that I'd
need the original encrypter to "release" it (don't remember the exact term).

Being that's impossible, I took it home and worked with it awhile. I finally got some things
to happen so thought I was on the right track, but ended up stonewalled with a message
that I needed "permissions from" and a long number interspersed with .'s.

So, I'm stuck.

Any thing out there with all this new technology I might use to crack that nut open?
I don't care if I have to buy something, I'd sure love to be able to access all that data and
those personal photos!

Thanks!

Circumventing encrypted files/drives is breaching security. This site has regulations preventing us from aiding anyone in circumventing security. There is no way for us to know if you are the true owner of the machine and files, which prevents us from helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back