Anyone a fan of OCZ memory? What memory are you using?

What ram are you using?

• Generic cheap and cheerful ram

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Crucial / Micron

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Mushkin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Kingston

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Samsung / Samsung based

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Geil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OCZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• Other non generic ram

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

ramall.jpg

From OcPrices PC 3200/3500 shootout

PC3500-Retail.jpg

Just ordered this 512mb stick of OCZ Enhanced Latency PC3500 memory which has been proven capable of running at 500Mhz DDR. So I'm gonna try and overclock my Athlon XP 2100+. Going try for 333fsb but dunno if my air cooling currently in place will handle 13x166=2158, or even if the processor can handle this. Anyhow I'll post a Vehementi style User Review of the ram once I get back to the UK and get to play with it. This got me wondering what make of ram that everyone is using. I know a lot of regulars swear by crucial...

Currently I am using two 256mb PC2100 sticks of generic cheap and cheerful ram.

I have kingston and samsung( both PC 2700) in two of my machines. but I am planing on giving corsair a try soon

Crucial (ECC/Registered), Micron, and Mushkin for any of my "performance" machines.

Any other machine, generic ram is all I need.

I guess TwinMOS falls in under Generic Cheap ram... It's a bit slow, but suits my current needs (and my greatly reduced bankaccount...)

I've been using a 512mb stick of mushkin pc2100 ddr in turbo mode on my system and ive never had a problem. I haven't done any overclocking yet but when I do im sure this RAM will go far especially because of the big purple heat spreader :D

I've heard nothing but good stuff about OCZ, but I have 512Megs of Crucial because I got it real cheap (back before the prices went way up).

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I've heard nothing but good stuff about OCZ, but I have 512Megs of Crucial because I got it real cheap (back before the prices went way up).

I remember Bobes/Toby did a shootout between Crucial and OCZ ram here at techspot and said the OCZ ram came out a little in the lead but it was a higher rated stick (Crucial 2100 vs OCZ 2400). I don't think I will be disappointed with the OCZ ram that I have ordered.

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
I use Kingmax PC2400 and have no complaints.....

I use Kingmax as well, except mine is PC3200. It's not much for overclocking (above 400MHz), but currently I'm running it @ 333MHz since I have 2 sticks of 256...and the KT400 only supports one stick of 400MHz ;)
Default SPD settings, of course...

It's great because it uses TinyBGA, which are about half the size of regular SDRAM chips, and about half as hot. If I overclock it up to 372MHz (well, underclock...), it's not even warm to the touch. All those erroneous "heat spreaders" and "active memory cooling" are out the window!!

I have no complaints, especially since it only costs ~$70 per stick...

Ah yes and I also have a stick of 256MB OCZ PC2700 in another machine. I haven't had a single problem with it thus far.

And Arris - my name has 3 E's in it ;)

I have Crucial in all but one of my machines. It has Samsung in it(got it from a salvage machine)

I'm not much for changing brands every time someone claims to be better. I've found that when I find quality, I tend to stick with it. I have seen very few problems from Crucial and the ones I have seen have been corrected by them very quickly.

BTW: What makes this poll worthy of being Sticky anyway?

Originally posted by StormBringer
I have Crucial in all but one of my machines. It has Samsung in it(got it from a salvage machine)

I'm not much for changing brands every time someone claims to be better. I've found that when I find quality, I tend to stick with it. I have seen very few problems from Crucial and the ones I have seen have been corrected by them very quickly.

I'm not much for changing brands either Storm, just since EDO ram I've never really used a particular branded memory, so really this is my first experience with more expensive branded memory. If I find that this OCZ ram works well and lives up to its claims I'll probably stick with them unless I am building budget systems in the future.

Originally posted by StormBringer
BTW: What makes this poll worthy of being Sticky anyway?

Just thought I would have it sticky for a little while to encourage responses to the poll. Not really a case of being worthy, but what harm did it being sticky for one weekend cause?

Vehementi>Your name now has the correct number of e's in my first post too.

Originally posted by Vehementi
I use Kingmax as well, except mine is PC3200. It's not much for overclocking (above 400MHz), but currently I'm running it @ 333MHz since I have 2 sticks of 256...and the KT400 only supports one stick of 400MHz ;)
Default SPD settings, of course...

It's great because it uses TinyBGA, which are about half the size of regular SDRAM chips, and about half as hot. If I overclock it up to 372MHz (well, underclock...), it's not even warm to the touch. All those erroneous "heat spreaders" and "active memory cooling" are out the window!!

I have no complaints, especially since it only costs ~$70 per stick...

OCZ say that with their "Enhanced Latency" ram they are using ram chips with thinner packaging so the heat spreaders actually get something to do, as previously the heat would not transfer from the chip packaging to the heat spreader very efficiently. So this Enhanced Latency ram can have its voltage increased without too much worry being caused by the related temperature increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back