Anyone knowledgeable on compressor, airbrush and duster fittings?

Tommygunn

I want to buy a duster pistol to go with my hobby compressor so that I can clean my computer now and then.
I'm looking at the following:

The problem I have is that I do not want to use the quick connect that they come with but just use a threaded adapter that screws into the pistol grip and then into my compressor hose. Below is a photo of my current array of fittings including the fitting that goes into my spray gun.

Questions:
What is the unknown thread size that connects to the spray gun?
Will that adapter fit into the pistol grips of the dusters if I remove the quick detach fitting?
If not, what is the thread that is used within the duster pistol grip?

If all that if for nought, then what is the specific name for the opposing quick release(female?) or that type as a whole; size, name etc?

Cheers,
Tom.

I have some familiarity with USA standard air fittings (NPT) but just to be clear you are talking about non-USA standards, correct? If so, I doubt that I can be of any help.

Mailpup,
In the main the fittings for my equipment I.e. modelling, small compressors, companies such as Badger use British Standard Pipe. However, the screw thread that goes into my spray gun and the threads for the quick releases, on the above duster guns, are unknown to me, so I need to know these thread types to find a suitable adapter.

Learninmypc,
My suspicions are that the spray guns/dusters take a 3/8" thread, presumably in BSP, but I need to get this positively confirmed.

Tom.

In the USA typically fittings are 1/4" NPT but there are several different styles, such as industrial interchange, Tru-Flate and others. However, that measurement is a standard that isn't actually 1/4" o.d. Confusing, I know.

I suggest taking the item to a hardware shop and ask them to match it with the fitting you want with the proper thread size and type.

@Tommygunn As many of todays air tools, (as well as everything else), is made in China these days, any fitting on any air tool itself, is likely to be metric.

While hoses, fittings and such are in the 1/4" N.P.T. standard, due to patent reasons, a product copied from a US patent, can't be copied verbatim. In other words, while the Chinese knock off might look like a USA made "Binks", spray gun, very few of the parts are a direct interchange. (Only the cups might be a universal part).

"N.P.T." is a specific tapered pipe thread standard, differing from SAE, and NC bolts and nuts. The the sizing standard refers to the inside diameter of the pipes themselves.

If the female threads on the tool itself aren't 1/8" NPT, they're most likely 1/8" NPT, or a proprietary part, which you're not likely to find off the shelf.

Since I wasted 4 paraghraphs typing about NPT (US) standards, here's the difference it, and BSP: https://www.ralstoninst.com/news/story/the-difference-between-npt-bspp-and-bspt-seals

Notice BSP threads are also tapered, but with a different angle on the threads

Last edited:
If they are made for the American market, they will have NPT threads.
Not quite what I meant. The tool's body will have one thread of foreign , metric, or proprietary origin, while the end going toward the air hose, will indeed be 1/4 NPT. That attaches to all common air tools and spray guns, as you point out, here in the USA..

The solution our TS is looking toward is using something like a barbed hose fitting, and doing away with the quick connect. Unless I completely misunderstood the post, this is about what he is looking for.

Z3y450fo5oy.JPG

That type of fitting is the only thing I'm aware of to eliminate the quick connects.

What's complicating the issue, is the fact he's using a "hobby compressor", instead of a standard home compressor, which in Britain, would likely have 1/4" BSP outlet and hose adapters.

If the objection to a quick disconnect, is its bulky nature, why not use the adapters he has, and add a flexible "whip hose", between the air nozzle, and the primary compressor outlet hose?

Last edited:
To clarify, these parts are non US centric, they have come from the UK, EU, rest of world.
Also, none of the threads are tapered, they are all parallel.

Tom.

I want to use my current hose and fittings, no barbs, so ideally I would like to simply remove the supplied quick connect and use my chrome fitting, as shown above, which in size falls between the 1/8" BSP and 1/4" BSP hose and fittings, also shown above.
I've ordered the duster so unless I find out what threading it is cut with in the meantime I'll just have to tack on some more time to source an adapter once I receive it and figure out the threading.

Tom.

To clarify, these parts are non US centric, they have come from the UK, EU, rest of world.
Also, none of the threads are tapered, they are all parallel.

Tom.
I think I just read the BSP was tapered? That notwithstanding, the female thread into the body of the tool, isn't tapered over here either, as it's not our "NPT" standard.

I still think a barbed hose adapter and whip hose are the best solution, since once you lock the hose to the compressor permanently, how would you use it for anything else?

And do forgive me if I've misunderstood your intent. British English and American English are different, so perhaps there's a language barrier. :rolleyes:

Mailpup,
In the main the fittings for my equipment I.e. modelling, small compressors, companies such as Badger use British Standard Pipe. However, the screw thread that goes into my spray gun and the threads for the quick releases, on the above duster guns, are unknown to me, so I need to know these thread types to find a suitable adapter.

Learninmypc,
My suspicions are that the spray guns/dusters take a 3/8" thread, presumably in BSP, but I need to get this positively confirmed.

Tom.
understood :)

Back