Apple addresses iOS 15.4 battery drain complaints by saying "just wait"

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
The internet is mad again: Few things are more frustrating than when the battery on your phone dies in the middle of the day. We have certain expectations about how long our electronics should run. Sometimes those expectations are reasonable, and other times they are not. However, when you just so happen to notice remarkably shorter battery life right after a firmware update, it has to be the developer's fault, right?

Despite its long list of highly anticipated features, including "Face ID with a mask," users are beginning to find that their battery life has plummeted since installing iOS 15.4. Some owners report decreases of as much as 50 percent or more.

It's not uncommon for updates to have a few bugs on release, and battery life is a constant struggle with any smartphone. But Apple's response to these recent complaints is somewhat baffling.

In a tweet addressing one user's gripe, Apple support said, "It's normal for your apps and features to need to adjust up to 48 hours after an update."

Is it? If so, it's the first we've has heard of this, and nothing like that is listed on Apple's support website. Furthermore, iOS 15.4 rolled out on March 14, while news of the complaints broke only earlier this week. Surely, some reporting the issue have been running the update for longer than 48 hours. Apple's public response just doesn't add up.

At this point, Apple Support on Twitter seems to be taking on the complaints with troubleshooting sessions via Twitter direct messaging. However, it's not likely that anything support says on a case-by-case basis is much different than the battery-saving tips found on its support pages.

As an iPhone's lithium-ion battery ages, it begins holding less charge. At first, this could be so subtle as to be unnoticeable, but the update could have made the lower capacity more pronounced. So there is a chance that the affected users already had battery problems because of a worn-out battery and just didn't notice.

Users can check their battery health by going to Settings->Battery->Battery Health. Here they will see Maximum Capacity listed as a percentage, but Apple has no solid recommendations on when to replace your battery. Charge times can vary widely depending on how the iPhone is used, regardless of the battery health percentage. That is to say, a battery health reading of 75 percent could last all day for those who primarily use their iPhone strictly for communication. Conversely, a game player will see a more rapid drain at 75 percent.

None of this goes anywhere in explaining Apple's strange 48-hour excuse. It was likely just a poorly formulated tweet by an Apple Support moderator caught unaware and could not think of a better explanation. We'll see if Apple has a more logical excuse in the coming days or, even better, a patch that fixes the problem.

Image credit: Boyhey

Permalink to story.

Is there any actual evidence that this is happening? Or is it just based on some tweets? My battery life on my 2.5 year old iPhone 11 Pro Max seems to have improved.

I’d say it probably happens to phones from other manufacturers but we don’t know, most of them don’t get updates.

Apple: It's a NEW feature! Less battery life, so you don't use your phone as much!

I usually wait a week, before anything other than "security" updates.

ATTENTION APPLE SHOPPERS

"We are aware of the situation with battery drain on 15.4, and we can assure you all that we will handle it with our usual vigor.

In our own time and strictly at our own convenience."

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, that Apple would do something like reducing battery life using updates. I mean it has never happened before....

Is there any actual evidence that this is happening? Or is it just based on some tweets? My battery life on my 2.5 year old iPhone 11 Pro Max seems to have improved.

I’d say it probably happens to phones from other manufacturers but we don’t know, most of them don’t get updates.

I have the same phone, and could normally get to the end of the day with minimal use at 80ish% - it's 10am on a full charge from 7am and I'm already at 82%

something has changed and saying just wait, to me, sounds like they just don't know what's causing it, or they do and don't want to say.

The usual complaint thread. Does anyone bother to see what apps are using all the battery? Yah you can do that in settings. also what apps have background update on?. Personally I have an iPhone X with the original battery, and it is working fine. But I don't use Twitter or Facebook. that is where I would start looking.

But I agree, the answer that somebody received about 48 hours only makes sense to me on a Mac using Spotlight after a major update.

I have the same phone, and could normally get to the end of the day with minimal use at 80ish% - it's 10am on a full charge from 7am and I'm already at 82%

something has changed and saying just wait, to me, sounds like they just don't know what's causing it, or they do and don't want to say.

its Facebook stealing your data

And talking of Apple, they have just announced a breast implant that can store and play music and uses wireless technology. Prices are projected to be €499 to €699 dependent on cup size and storage capacity.

This is expected to be a major social breakthrough as until now women have always complained that men are looking at their breasts and not listening to them.

Apple’s response made is sound like the phone just had some sort of heart implant where the body requires time to adjust. I think historically, whatever issues the firmware resulted in, they never get fixed until some sort of hot fix or newer version of firmware gets pushed out. So I am skeptical about Apple’s advise to wait for a couple of days. This is also one of the reason I don’t immediately upgrade firmware if given the chance to do so.

15.4.1 Bricked my iPhone XR today. Even the Factory restore from iTunes did not work.
Now it's Just an Apple logo nightlight.

Apple’s response made is sound like the phone just had some sort of heart implant where the body requires time to adjust. I think historically, whatever issues the firmware resulted in, they never get fixed until some sort of hot fix or newer version of firmware gets pushed out. So I am skeptical about Apple’s advise to wait for a couple of days. This is also one of the reason I don’t immediately upgrade firmware if given the chance to do so.
Interpreting crApple's statement to what it really means: Wait until we figure out what the hell we did wrong, and push another update. Otherwise, will will just blame it all on you. ;)

Back