Apple AirPods Pro 2 sporting new design and improved silicon expected in late 2022

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Apple is expected to launch a revised version of its AirPods Pro with an entirely new design in the fourth quarter of 2022, analyst Ming Chi-Kuo said in a recent note to investors. New silicon is also said to be in the pipeline, making them a potentially attractive offering in a crowded market -- if the price is right.

Apple’s first-gen AirPods Pro debuted in late 2019, and is currently slotted between the base AirPods and the high-end AirPods Max headphones in the company’s product line.

According to Kuo, Apple will eliminate the stems on the current version in favor of a design that is similar to the Beats Fit Pro. They’ll be powered by a new chip said to enhance connectivity with paired devices and deliver fitness tracking capabilities.

Back in October, Apple added a new member to the standard AirPods family. The new third-gen AirPods feature spatial audio and offer increased durability and longer battery life compared to their predecessor. Pricing is set at $179 for the AirPods 3rd gen, and $249 for the AirPods Pro, although the latter can be found for around $190 if you’re willing to shop around a bit for a deal.

Kuo is also expecting no less than three new Apple Watch models next fall followed by a new iPhone SE with a larger display in 2023 or 2024. Specific launch dates weren’t provided, but Apple historically announces new watch models in September and iPhone SE refreshes in the spring.

Permalink to story.

I've had so many problems with the first gen over the years, I wouldn't even consider buying it again, and in fact would urge anyone else to stay away from this product.

I've had so many problems with the first gen over the years, I wouldn't even consider buying it again, and in fact would urge anyone else to stay away from this product.
Really? I love my AirPod pros! Not had a single thing go wrong with them and now they are two years old I’ve had them for longer than any other pair of headphones I’ve ever had.

I am hoping for better sound quality on the next ones though, it’s not bad on the current pros but compared to some other headphones for similar money they are def worse.

Back