Apple and Google join forces to develop Covid-19 contact tracing system

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Apple and Google on Friday announced a joint effort to help governments and health agencies track Covid-19 cases through contact tracing. The tech giants said both privacy and security will be central to their designs, as will transparency and consent (yes, these will be opt-in programs). Still, those promises are doing little to quell the concerns of privacy advocates and even conspiracy theorists.

In May, both companies will release APIs that enable “interoperability between Android and iOS devices” in apps from public health authorities. In the coming months, the two will work to build a broader Bluetooth-based contact tracing platform that bakes functionality directly into their respective mobile operating systems, making it potentially even easier for interested parties to participate.

It’s easy to argue that using smartphone data to trace Coronavirus infections has serious privacy implications. But then again, using smartphones to track people isn’t anything new as Snowden revealed years ago.

One could also argue the effectiveness of such a system. We’ve been told that our best defenses against the virus right now include staying at home, getting tested and quarantining yourself if you test positive. How much more helpful would a tracing system be? It’s a reactive system, only alerting you if you’ve crossed paths with someone that might have been exposed to an infected person.

At that point, you might already have it. I suppose it could help you make an informed decision about whether or not you should self-quarantine, thus potentially stopping you from spreading it to others before symptoms are evident.

Conversely, some will argue that if a system like this is able to save even one life, it would be worth it.

Apple and Google have posted several white papers on the matter for those interested in diving deeper into the technical aspects of the proposed system.

Image credit: Andrew Angelov

Permalink to story.

When you have a potentially fatal, highly contagious and readily transmissible outbreak with no cure or vaccine, you cannot contain the virus so you must contain the infected. Where it goes from there will have Orwell turning in his grave.

When you have a potentially fatal, highly contagious and readily transmissible outbreak with no cure or vaccine, you cannot contain the virus so you must contain the infected. Where it goes from there will have Orwell turning in his grave.
There is a cure. Heard immunity.. But we ruined that by delaying the spread to healthy individuals.. If all healthy became immune it cant be spread to the weak and elderly.

There is a cure. Heard immunity.. But we ruined that by delaying the spread to healthy individuals.. If all healthy became immune it cant be spread to the weak and elderly.

EXACTLY! This virus (CARS-China Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is a new strain of a corona virus, which is similar to Ebola, SARS, MERS. Unless you are elderly, have an underlying health issue, or very young, the MAJORITY of people will have "a cold" or "the flu" and, typically have little to no symptoms.
But, the "scare the crap out of people, so we can more easily control them" crowd has everyone running out and buying up all the toilet paper (for a respiratory virus), bread, sanitizing wipes etc.
Morons & sheep, that's what we've become.

EXACTLY! This virus (CARS-China Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is a new strain of a corona virus, which is similar to Ebola, SARS, MERS. Unless you are elderly, have an underlying health issue, or very young, the MAJORITY of people will have "a cold" or "the flu" and, typically have little to no symptoms.
But, the "scare the crap out of people, so we can more easily control them" crowd has everyone running out and buying up all the toilet paper (for a respiratory virus), bread, sanitizing wipes etc.

Yeah, but that healthy person who has contracted it, and doesnt know it yet, goes to work as a janitor at an aged care facility and boom, has just killed 50 people

Yeah, but that healthy person who has contracted it, and doesnt know it yet, goes to work as a janitor at an aged care facility and boom, has just killed 50 people

THAT is speculative and has not been proven conclusively. Seeing how forthcoming the media has been with the truth of the matter, this too will prove to be nothing but hot air.

Thank you, so many sheep everywhere blabbering MSM talking points. People have lost their critical thinking ability, and it's made them easily controllable.

In 1982, it was shown Coronavirus to be successfully treated with Monolaurin (monoester of Lauric Acid, found in the "meat" part of the coconut). This "modified" version is also susceptible because its outer structure is unchanged. This panic and hysteria is for nothing other than promote someone's agenda (Event 201, ID2020, etc).

Thank you, so many sheep everywhere blabbering MSM talking points. People have lost their critical thinking ability, and it's made them easily controllable.

In 1982, it was shown Coronavirus to be successfully treated with Monolaurin (monoester of Lauric Acid, found in the "meat" part of the coconut). This "modified" version is also susceptible because its outer structure is unchanged. This panic and hysteria is for nothing other than promote someone's agenda (Event 201, ID2020, etc).

"Though monolaurin has not been studied on coronavirus, it may have some benefit. "

https://www.urologyofva.net/article...ecautions-and-strengthening-the-immune-system

The 1982 study you are referencing did not in fact test against a strain of Coronavirus. Even if it did it wouldn't be directly applicable to the current strain.

By the way, here is the link to the study. You should be providing these links though, I should not have to dig them up for you: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-4565.1982.tb00429.x

monolaurin may help us against the Coronavirus but it is nowhere near as done a deal as you suggest. As you said yourself: "That is speculative and has not been proven conclusively."

Google and Apple are well positioned to invade your privacy using your Gov't tracking device (A.K.A. Cellphone)

While others are well positioned to apply that data....

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/04/06/nvidia-brings-gpu-hpc-ai-expertise-covid-19-battle/

The younger generation might think it's all scare tactics and the threat doesn't apply to them (yet)

But as this beast continues to mutate, now crossing over to tigers and most likely other animals that have not yet been tested, it may become a real threat as it returns year after year, weakening your defenses one year and putting you on a ventilator the next

If you still think it's just hype, stay tuned kids!

......and watch some news!

Thank you, so many sheep everywhere blabbering MSM talking points.
Wow! Have you got your fake news outlets mixed up?

Different day, different strain, different proven treatments, more unproven talking points - just like the unproven hydroxychloroquine.

Last edited:
The title of this article should read: "Google and Apple Capitalize on COVID-19: See even more gold by investing in shoring up their personal data collection empires."

Google and Apple are well positioned to invade your privacy using your Gov't tracking device (A.K.A. Cellphone)

While others are well positioned to apply that data....

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/04/06/nvidia-brings-gpu-hpc-ai-expertise-covid-19-battle/

The younger generation might think it's all scare tactics and the threat doesn't apply to them (yet)

But as this beast continues to mutate, now crossing over to tigers and most likely other animals that have not yet been tested, it may become a real threat as it returns year after year, weakening your defenses one year and putting you on a ventilator the next

......and watch some REAL news!
Fixed that for you!

I don't want anyone or anything "tracking" me.

If necessary, take off your smartwatch and smartphone and leave em both home.

Pay cash.

Cover your face to avoid face tracking.

My privacy belongs to me.

It may be the price to pay for freedom.

If your government requires you to use an application like that to be let out of quarantine you will have to choose between privacy and freedom.

It may be the price to pay for freedom.

If your government requires you to use an application like that to be let out of quarantine you will have to choose between privacy and freedom.

I live in America. I'm gonna move when I feel like moving. That's what my 2nd Amendment is for.

......and watch some news!

This is the problem. The fear mongering. Why would I watch any major news outlet these days? They are not trustworthy and are no different then clickbait articles on the web. You've fallen for the hysteria.

By the way, here is the link to the study. You should be providing these links though, I should not have to dig them up for you: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-4565.1982.tb00429.x

He has an ideology, not a logical basis in facts. So no citations are needed as no factual evidence is needed. Especially since the article you cite about his claims contradicts what he claims.

However this is just hiding the real causative agent: conspiratorial thinking. I *really* need to find my citation for this again, but somewhere between 1 and 5% of all people (closer to 1% IIRC) simply think in a conspiratorial way. It's really difficult to change that (if at all) as it's just biology, the way some people's brains are hooked up. IOW, they don't just believe in a conspiracy or two, they tend to believe in lots of them because it's in their nature.

And what brand of magic do you use to ensure the spread is only to people who are not overly susceptible to the disease?
What magic stops the spread when we still are at grocery stores.?. . Neither is a great solution but limiting a small percentage of the population vs trying to keep everyone home is the lesser of 2 evils

What magic stops the spread when we still are at grocery stores.?. . Neither is a great solution but limiting a small percentage of the population vs trying to keep everyone home is the lesser of 2 evils

I claimed no magic at stores, instead just use common sense. Cut 2 trips a week to every 2 weeks, then you've cut your exposure by 75%. Add to that handwashing, physical distancing, masks. All cut exposure further.

Healthy people of all ages have died from this, how do you separate them out beforehand? What's your criteria for limiting a small percentage of the population before you know who is actually susceptible? You will always be limiting people who won't get sick and exposing people who will get sick. And if you make a pick and choose policy of this, you will anger a lot of those people.

This is the problem. The fear mongering. Why would I watch any major news outlet these days? They are not trustworthy and are no different then clickbait articles on the web. You've fallen for the hysteria.
Fear mongering?

Have the dead fallen for hysteria?

Fear mongering?

Have the dead fallen for hysteria?

Do you not understand how many people die every few minutes? This is a drop in the bucket. It's horrible, but there are so many undocumented viruses and disease that get grouped as general known ones when people die. Do you really think the economy should be shut down for the minor amount of deaths when the gov't gladly sells and taxes Alcohol which kills 3 million in the world per year? 100k for Covid 19 world wide in 6 months (that we know of). The media has pulled the wool over your eyes.

I see end stage cancer patients 5 days a week. This 'pandemic' is NOT worth shutting the world down.

Yes, let's' social distance at the store 6 feet apart in a grocery store where we all touch the same door getting in, the pin pad, let alone cash, the same cashier, the same products, the same cart and the same door getting out.

Imbeciles. This has been around far longer than reported. "But the media says we have to like, flatten the curve man". Too late, the amount of those infected will never be known but I assure you, this is NOTHING, absolutely, NOTHING, compared to a real outbreak.

The old, extremely young and those with weak immune systems die? YOU DON'T SAY.

Last edited:
Back