Apple and Intel rumored to be developing an iWatch for 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple and Intel are rumored to be working on a smartwatch that could be ready for production sometime in the first half of 2013. Some elements of this rumor do make sense from a business standpoint but others seem a bit too far-fetched to fall into the plausible category.

According to German blog Mobile Geeks by way of a Chinese site, the two companies are building a watch with a 1.5-inch PMOLED display created by RiTDisplays. The watch face will feature ITO-coated glass while the watch itself will connect to other devices using low-power Bluetooth 4.0.

apple intel iwatch smartwatch

If you recall, Apple’s old iPod nano gained a significant following due to the fact that it could be used as a watch when paired with one of many compatible watch bands and lest we forget the Pebble customizable watch from Kickstarter. The fact that Apple recently redesigned the nano could be a clue that an iWatch may be in the pipeline.

The confusing part of this rumor, however, is Intel’s involvement. Apple has been keen on decreasing dependence on outside help as of late, especially with regards to processor development. An iWatch wouldn’t need a powerful processor as CPU-intensive tasks could be remotely performed on the paired device instead.

Smartwatches have gained a tiny bit of traction as of late but they’re by no means mainstream at this point. If you aren’t familiar with the concept, a smartwatch can connect to your smartphone, laptop or tablet and allow you to do things like read a text message or control music directly from your wrist without having to pull out your device.

Do you think smartwatches will eventually catch on with mainstream consumers or are they simply a passing fad that nobody will think twice about in a year or two?

Permalink to story.

Well, if it has at least a heart rate monitor (like some timex models), then health buffs will buy it.

but apple should drop the iBrand already... it's bordering on *** already...

So... everyone is working on a watch like this. I predicted the same exact thing 2 years ago... (that within 5 years most people will be **** tracy.)

Watch Apple try and patent it... lol

I think it'd be great. A watch that could tell you the forecast, could display text messages, and even display health-related information would combine a large number of devices, and would place them all in an easily-reached place. My only question is about water-proofing and battery life. I wouldn't buy this if I had to plug it into a wall at the end of every day, and if I couldn't take it into water.

Attention all watch manufacturers... get your attorneys at the ready, as Apple will soon apply for a for the circular or round watch format.

In our ever increasing tech world a simple device that would integrate multiple devices to a single screen would be a bit of a godsend. I know many ppl who have to carry a backpack just to lug around all thier devices and hook up equiptment. This does have the potential to be a very useful idea. However its Apple making it, so it will only work with Apple products and inevitably will fall off the market unless someone else finds a way to make it work across multiple platforms. Great idea, its just sad it came from Apple. If its true.

I guess the steam has run out of the iEngine, and they need to produce something that no one will want, but will generate the hype to get the iSheep to line up for a week in advance.
I thought no one really bought watches anymore, depending on the phone for time keeping.

I wonder if Apple will try to sue the universe for using it's patented time constant; Every time someone differentiates a first order LTI they will owe Apple $10..

I think this would be great. Blue tooth celluar, facetime, watch, health device, ipod music, all in one... can you say "home run" product. But would depend on price. Some stupid fools spends hundreds on a watch becasue of a name but now a phone can actually do something is great and worth $299+. I would buy.

Another revolutionary product by Apple!

No more old-fashioned mechanical watches made from the third world country like Switzerland, where workers have to make watches individually by hand and sell the product at an overpriced rate.

Apple stock should go over $700/share easily like it did with iPhone 5 for the awesome product design...

This'll go the same as all apple products. They will be labeled as "revolutionary" and "bold", and their product will sell like hotcakes for it's first few years (excuse me, "generations"), and by the time the iwatch 4 comes out, people will finally realize that there are better offers available (in this case, likely Android) and the product will go down in popularity.

Wow, I never realized how inconvenient it is to pull my phone from my pocket until now.

It's very simple. If you watch the TV show Star trek you will understand where they get their ideas from. If I was Android I would tell my RD department to watch the show and come up with ideas on how to match those gadgets.

OMG...

People will buy it because they think Apple makes them someone. Yet, these types of watches have existed forever. Ever hear about D!ck Tracy ..?

Intel + apple developing iWatch..

Hmm, I wonder what OS will be used? iOS or WP8?

Back