'Apple Car' will reportedly make its debut in Q3 2021, years ahead of schedule

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: Apple has been working on something car-related since at least the mid-2010s. First, it was an autonomous car. Then it was AI for autonomous vehicles in general. Then after several shakeups with project heads, the whole thing just dropped off the radar for a while. Now suddenly the company is ready to launch the "Apple Car" as early as next year?

According to Taiwan-based outlet Economic Daily News, Apple is ready to launch its Apple Car in the third quarter of 2021. Anonymous sources speaking with the paper said component suppliers in Taiwan are planning to scale up production in the second quarter of next year.

EDN also claims that Apple has been secretly testing several prototypes on streets in the Bay Area. This should come as no surprise. The California Department of Motor Vehicles granted Apple a permit in 2017, and the company immediately began testing several LIDAR-equipped Lexus SUVs.

Sources say that the director at one of the unnamed manufacturing facilities noted that Apple plans to launch its vehicle in September 2021. This time frame is 2-4 years ahead of noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions. The scheduling seems a bit questionable, considering Apple only began talks with automotive electronics manufacturers earlier this month. According to DigiTimes, it has also just started work with TSMC on producing "self-driving chips."

It is more likely that Apple will officially unveil a car in 2021, but the actual launch is still a few years down the road. Whatever the case may be, take EDN's reporting with a grain of salt. As we have seen too many times with "anonymous" sources, situations can fizzle out, if they were ever there in the first place.

Permalink to story.

Mr and Mrs Smug from number 9 Conspicuous Consumption Crescent will have something new to be smug about! They will also be able to compare models with the Ghastlies from number 3 and the Utter Horrors next door.

Ahhh, this explains all those new repair bays and service departments at my local Apple stores.

Hey, if that's what you want...go for it. I'll pass.
I never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Original schedule: random guy's prediction
New launch schedule: rumor
Headline: Apple car years ahead of schedule
Reality: Both "schedules" are wrong

Is there anybody here who thinks that this design is actually usable on the streets?
2020-12-21-image-9.jpg

The extreme rake angle of the "windshield" is ridiculous, and bound to cause problems with driver vision.

How are you supposed to get in the damned thing?

Would anybody want to hazard a guess as to what a replacement would cost, let lone how much something like that wouldadd to your comprehensive insurance costs?

Would this be a yearly "must have" for the iSheep?

Would Apple support for this monstrosity dry up on a schedule commensurate with its phones?

Would Apple slow it down as it ages, "to preserve battery life", as it does with its older phones?

If this does have segmented glass to afford entry and exit, after a few years, it will probably leak worse than a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

But what do I know, I don't own an Apple anything. (And never will).

An "Apple Car" has been foretold for how long? More than a decade.

How about the rumors Apple would buy Tesla?

The reality is: Apple doesn't make cars, Apple doesn't want to make cars. They are already profitable in what they do and don't need the liability.

Short of Tim Cook coming on TV and saying, "we are building cars", I refuse to believe it.

Will it cost triple what a comparable car costs? Will it “just work”?
And can I buy it from the Apple Store instead of a dealer? And will Apple Geniuses be in charge of repairs....
Comes with the Apple guarantee of only ensured to work for 2 years just like their phones, with bumpers made from glass to maximize profits of replacement parts.

I'd absolutely want one if they made it like the Rayfield Caliburn!!!
Yeah only going a max speed of 40mph on officially licensed Apple roads only guaranteed for 2 years before replacing, and guaranteed to break parts in the name of padding profits.but it's Magic according to them...and cones with a cable no charger.

Comes with the Apple guarantee of only ensured to work for 2 years just like their phones, with bumpers made from glass to maximize profits of replacement parts.

Actually, IPhones work way longer than 2 years, I still have a fully functioning IPhone 4S that's 9 years old., You must be thinking of Androids with their built-in obsolescence.

Wow, looks like we have the new DeLorean on our hands. Another blip in the automotive universe that is destined to fail to meet reserve at future auctions.

Actually, IPhones work way longer than 2 years, I still have a fully functioning IPhone 4S that's 9 years old., You must be thinking of Androids with their built-in obsolescence.
Yeah my phone is a 6S and I plan on keeping it until it dies... It works great today. Meanwhile my Android phone before it could not upgrade past 4.4 and barely made it two years before it became impossible to use. If I used it while being charged, it would often lose battery and it could die at anything below 50% battery when not plugged in.

Is there anybody here who thinks that this design is actually usable on the streets?
2020-12-21-image-9.jpg

The extreme rake angle of the "windshield" is ridiculous, and bound to cause problems with driver vision.

How are you supposed to get in the damned thing?

Would anybody want to hazard a guess as to what a replacement would cost, let lone how much something like that wouldadd to your comprehensive insurance costs?

Would this be a yearly "must have" for the iSheep?

Would Apple support for this monstrosity dry up on a schedule commensurate with its phones?

Would Apple slow it down as it ages, "to preserve battery life", as it does with its older phones?

If this does have segmented glass to afford entry and exit, after a few years, it will probably leak worse than a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

But what do I know, I don't own an Apple anything. (And never will).

It's kind of hard to tell because of the angle the photo was taken. It's definitely not a typical faily car... more like a very ugly car with a Lamborghini profile.

Artist's conception of a pregnant iPhone on wheels:
2020-12-21-image-9.jpg

Also available in miniature,as a Christmas tree ornament.,From all of us at Apple, to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas, and a happy new year.

Back