Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak: iPhone 13 no different than previous iPhones

zakislam

Bottom line: A common criticism aimed at new versions of Apple's iPhone is that the device doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak also shares that sentiment; the famed engineer and computer programmer expressed his view on the iPhone 13, which he believes is practically identical to the smartphone's predecessors.

The latest generation of iPhones launched in September and delivered several improvements compared to the iPhone 12, including increased battery life and the inevitable enhancements to the camera. However, Yahoo Finance notes, Wozniak doesn't believe such upgrades provide much differentiation to previous models of the iPhone.

"I got the new iPhone; I can't tell the difference really," he remarked. "The software that’s in it applies to older iPhones, I presume. I worry about largeness and size ... but I don't study it. I’m just into if products are good."

Regarding Wozniak's comment on the device's size, Apple made all models of the iPhone 13 thicker and heavier than each variant of the iPhone 12.

For the past few years, consumers and reviewers alike have criticized the stagnation of the latest features each new iPhone brings with it. As noted in our iPhone 13 reviews roundup, the recently released smartphone "isn't a game-changer for Apple's series of smartphones." Minor tweaks such as a smaller notch, minimal design changes, the lack of a 120Hz screen, and slower charging than rival products were all highlighted by critics.

It's a similar state of affairs for the Pro version of the device as well: "Pro models have fewer of the special features that justify the higher prices."

As for the positives of the phone, excellent cameras, more base storage, and longer battery life were the common themes. Still, these improvements are usually among the few features underlined as worthwhile additions aside from any major processor upgrade.

Before the launch of the iPhone X, which replaced the popular home button's fingerprint sensor with Face ID authentication, Wozniak said it would mark the first time he wouldn't buy the latest iPhone model on release day.

"I'd rather wait and watch that one. I'm happy with my iPhone 8—which is the same as the iPhone 7, which is the same as the iPhone 6, to me," Wozniak stated. "For some reason, the iPhone X is going to be the first iPhone I didn't—on day one—upgrade to."

Permalink to story.

As a iPhone 12 Pro Max owner who upgraded, I have to object.

The key difference that separated iPhone 13 was the inclusion of 1TB of storage.

Arguably, the 1TB storage should have been included with iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 13 should have had 1TB plus the fingerprint scanner.

Unlike "other phones" that have to rely on micro SD cards that cost a fortune and are not as fast or reliable, Apple's NAND flash makes the 1TB iPhone 13 a powerhouse for video production on the phone (when used with iMovie).

I make Travel Vlogs.

The problem with Travel Vlogs is it can be very difficult to upload and download video files to your laptop for storage unless you purposefully buy a 2TB Macbook.

You need as much storage on the phone as possible to store your clips, edit your clips together and then finalize the HD video.

When you're talking about a 5 hour travel vlog, that may cost you about 70GB of storage, but require over 150 GB for the entire finalization.

Usually, I finalize my videos by plugging iPhone into the plane's USB port (for power) and then letting it finalize in iMovie for the next 5 - 7 hours since I can't use the phone on the plane anyway and the flight is usually longer than 12 hours.

So, Wozniak, doesn't see the whole story.

The key difference that separated iPhone 13 was the inclusion of 1TB of storage.

Arguably, the 1TB storage should have been included with iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 13 should have had 1TB plus the fingerprint scanner.

Unlike "other phones" that have to rely on micro SD cards that cost a fortune and are not as fast or reliable, Apple's NAND flash makes the 1TB iPhone 13 a powerhouse for video production on the phone (when used with iMovie).

I make Travel Vlogs.

The problem with Travel Vlogs is it can be very difficult to upload and download video files to your laptop for storage unless you purposefully buy a 2TB Macbook.

You need as much storage on the phone as possible to store your clips, edit your clips together and then finalize the HD video.

When you're talking about a 5 hour travel vlog, that may cost you about 70GB of storage, but require over 150 GB for the entire finalization.

Usually, I finalize my videos by plugging iPhone into the plane's USB port (for power) and then letting it finalize in iMovie for the next 5 - 7 hours since I can't use the phone on the plane anyway and the flight is usually longer than 12 hours.

Everything in you post is complete nonsense. You explain one use-case scenario that fits YOUR need (extremely rare for anyone else to be using the phone in such a way), but we should ALL consider your needs when reviewing the phone. Ridiculous. I've seen you on here being hung up on this 1TB magic storage number for a while now and you seem to believe that having the option to add CHEAPER storage is somehow a bad thing. Then again, if I spent a fortune on a piece of crap Apple product I guess I would be defending it too with random nonsense.

You want to shoot video? Here's an idea: buy a camera! You know, like every other sane person on the planet. (Here comes your reply explaining how the iPhone is so amazing for video recording that no camera in the world comes even close!)

iPhone 13, just like 12, just like the 11, just like the XS, just like the XR, just like the X?

Dang, they sure are consistent - but have forgotten what the word ‘innovation’ means for quite some time now.

Slapping a new battery, processor, refresh rate, and bigger screen has yet again, been the iNorm.

I make Travel Vlogs.

Dude, just get a fast external SSD, that’s what I do. The only reason I can think of where you may need 1tb built in is if you wanted to take about 24 hours of non stop footage. But the iPhone battery won’t last that long and are you really going 24 hours without a phone!? Just get a camera with a 1tb memory card!

internal storage while fast still costs more fortune and also unreliable for being soldered and not enough portability compared to sd card...

what kind of pill did you take before submitting that comment?

Steve is usually very critical of Apple products. But I do agree with him here. Besides the usual upgrades, screen, camera and SOCs, there is practically not much difference between the different generations of iPhone, starting from iPhone X. I don't even find the long lost Touch ID back despite this COVID mask mandate which basically breaks the Face ID. If I had to input my passcode every time I log in when I am on the go, that pretty much negates any security that Face ID is suppose to bring. When people need that feature, Apple just happily ignores.

I usually buy a new iphone once my current iphone dies. Roughly every two or three years. By that time the phone upgrades have usually progressed enough for the new purchase to be worth it. I've never been unhappy with my upgrades.

I usually buy a new iphone once my current iphone dies. Roughly every two or three years. By that time the phone upgrades have usually progressed enough for the new purchase to be worth it. I've never been unhappy with my upgrades.
What? iPhones die every two to three years? I gotta say, switching from iPhone X to 13 ain't much of a difference.

Don't need Wozniak to tell me what I can already see myself. Since iPhone X it's been almost exactly the same phone. This applies to Android flagship phones as well.
Most android flagships, but remember the fold exists which is a game changer....if you can afford it.

Dude, just get a fast external SSD, that’s what I do. The only reason I can think of where you may need 1tb built in is if you wanted to take about 24 hours of non stop footage. But the iPhone battery won’t last that long and are you really going 24 hours without a phone!? Just get a camera with a 1tb memory card!

I need the files to be ON THE PHONE to finalize them in iMovie iOS.

I have no idea why people don't understand that.

iCloud and external HDD don't help at all.

internal storage while fast still costs more fortune and also unreliable for being soldered and not enough portability compared to sd card...

what kind of pill did you take before submitting that comment?

I've used iPhone's NAAND Flash to make Youtube videos in iMovie since iPhone 4.

You're basically talking into a dead phone. Nobody's even listening.

I need the files to be ON THE PHONE to finalize them in iMovie iOS.

I have no idea why people don't understand that.

iCloud and external HDD don't help at all.
You still dont make sense. How big are these movies that you are finalising? And why on Earth are you using iMovie? iMovie is fine for short clips but if you were doing video editing of hundreds of GB worth of data files you would use something much more comprehensive.

Never had an apple phone, but not just apple. With the exception of the folding screen phone, pretty much EVERY new smartphone, has been just faster, bigger battery, more memory, better camera etc.
If Woz is into "innovation" the "folding" phones have really been the first difference than the brick phones of today.

Sooner or we will hit that wall with phone technology. The more advance they get the faster they will hit it. They can't be lazy or slow with the process because the competition will get the upper hand. This of course includes raising prices to slow down the inevitable. It will buy you time but it's a double edge sword so to speak.They can always just claim chip shortage or mother nature issues like blame it on the next earthquake. The stockholders will just eat it.

Let's just admit it the majority of people are happy with even with the cheap prepaid phones.From what is see the majority of people just need it to communicate with others, take selfies and watch video's

"Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak: iPhone 13 no different than previous iPhones"
I don't get it. How is this a GOOD thing?

You still dont make sense. How big are these movies that you are finalising? And why on Earth are you using iMovie? iMovie is fine for short clips but if you were doing video editing of hundreds of GB worth of data files you would use something much more comprehensive.

He needs to use his iPhone to use iMovie through his RTX 3090 FTW3.....what part don't you understand here?

Without the use of his 3090, iMovie sucks!

I have a budget Samsung from Tracfone. I wish it had a better camera but ya know all those Kodak Instamatic pictures I took in the 60's? They look pretty good. It would not nit pik a pic

Back