Apple discontinues all iPod SKUs, rumors of refresh surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

The iPod has greatly assisted Apple in maintaining their MP3 player market dominance. As it stands, "MP3 player" is nearly synonymous with iPod - much to Microsoft's chagrin. That doesn't mean Apple has been resting on their laurels, even if it seems that way to resellers. Numerous resellers are apparently concerned over a drop in stock volume, reporting low quantities of iPods available for resale.

That's just the tip of the iceberg though, with Cupertino announcing even more harrowing news. The company has discontinued all existing iPod SKUs, demonstrating that it is preparing to cease manufacture (and hence sales) of every existing iPod model. Is the iPod becoming stale? Perhaps, depending on your point of view - but it is still a blisteringly successful device.

Why would Apple put a stop to all their existing SKUs? Rumor has it that Apple is planning to refresh iPods across the board. This move seems to coincide with the widespread anticipation of a rumored September event. Though it's obvious they are planning something big for the iPod, Apple is tight-lipped as usual.

In the meantime, the halt may indicate a temporary shortage of iPods as existing supplies run dry. We'll post more as we hear official news from Apple.

Permalink to story.

This refresh is coming with enough time for retailers to stock up for Christmas.

Got a free Ipod touch for buying and Imac last month. It's an amazing device that is now gathering dust because after all it's just a fancy miniature jukebox with a really slow web interface.

I'm afraid you'll find the slow internet experience is down to your internet connection rather than the hardware.

It'll be good to see what Apple manage to come up with to replace the classic line of iPods, they've been solid performers for years. Whatever happens it'll be another kick in the crotch for Zune and Creative. I'm not even going to do Sony the courtesy of listing them as a competitor.

I'd bet money that it's just iPods that output video in HD formats and have higher capacities. Acting as if supply is running out is just their attempt to steal thunder from the imminent Zune HD and Zii launches.
If they had something more interesting to do with new iPods, they'd have already been talking about it, long ago, to keep as many people as possible from waiting on something from MS or Creative, instead.
If they're simply matching what the Zune HD does, then they'll be doing so later than MS, which they would never dare draw attention to.

Its simply because Apple wants to get people to buy iPhones (cost more, and licensing bonus from AT&T), stupid fanboys give so much praise I feel like I'm at a church or something.

There was no praise for Apple in any of the posts in this thread, why are you always so quick to jump at any chance you get at bashing Apple? And as it turns out, the article headline was correct, and they just refreshed their lineup. So no, it wasn't to sell more iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back