Apple explains how AirPods Max conserve power when not in use

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Apple's new AirPods Max headset is an always-on device. There is no power button, and when placed into its "Smart Case," it still does not shut down but instead enters a low-power mode to conserve battery life. Apple now explains that this state is also triggered when the headphones are left alone for five minutes.

Last week Apple launched AirPods Max—a set of over-ear wireless headphones with the same key features as AirPods Pro. Users had mixed feelings about the new headset. The quality and appearance are superb, and the functionality is familiar, but users have been perplexed about how to turn them off.

The headset doesn't have a power button. Instead, slipping it into the "Smart Case" deactivates it. For days users have been trying to find a workaround to shut the cans down without putting them into the "bra case," as some have come to call it. As it turns out, magnets are the key. However, it appears that even putting them into the case is not actually turning them off.

In response to the concern over battery life, Apple quietly updated the AirPods Max support document on its website. It explains that the headset enters a low-power mode when placed in the bra. Additionally, it is unnecessary to put the headset in the case or use refrigerator magnets to activate this low-power mode.

"If you set your AirPods Max down and leave them stationary for 5 minutes, they go into a low power mode to preserve battery charge," the support document says. "After 72 stationary hours out of the Smart Case, your AirPods Max go into a lower power mode that turns off Bluetooth and Find My to preserve battery charge further."

Likewise, putting the phones into the Smart Case activates these two modes, albeit more quickly. The low-power mode is triggered immediately, and ultralow kicks in after 18 hours rather than 72.

So, for users wishing to step away for a while, it's good to know that triggering low-power mode only takes five minutes longer than putting the AirPods Max into its case. Those wanting to put them away for more than a couple of days would probably be better off putting them back into the Smart Case to kick that ultralow-power state on sooner.

Ultimately, the AirPods Max is an always-on device. However, since much of the headset's functionality is derived from software, Apple could theoretically add a switch to control the battery modes from the user's phone in future software updates. Whether it will or not is another matter entirely.

Permalink to story.

When placed into its "Smart Case," it still does not shut down but instead enters a low-power mode to conserve battery life.
So the same thing Sennheiser did on the first gen True Wireless in-ears. Which went very badly for them and is the reason I would no longer buy a Sennheiser product.

Stupid feature that will inevitably cause more recharges that degrade the battery faster. I would 1000% rather have a switch to turn off headphones to get an extra listening time even if it's only15 minutes during the week.

Stupid feature that will inevitably cause more recharges that degrade the battery faster. I would 1000% rather have a switch to turn off headphones to get an extra listening time even if it's only15 minutes during the week.
See, for me and my experience with Sennheiser's, Not having the ability to properly turn them off means when you do want to use them, they will be dead, no doubt about it. I go to london every other month or so and use them on the Tube, if I've just forgotten about them or not used them in a few days, they are completely dead. absolutely useless.

To add insult to injury, they're only two years old and the battery is completely shot, they barely last an hour now. Sennheiser dealt with the situation poorly and instead of releasing a firmware update that would actually turn them off, they released the next version which now actually turns off...

I learnt my lesson, Don't buy anything from Sennheiser anymore.

So if you're not going to use them for awhile, charge them? I can't stand "buds" anyways... I like "regular" headphones... but don't really see the problem here...

*eyeroll* This stuff has been disputed over and over again. Its not hard to check traffic going out of your network.
I'd disagree to an extent, sure you can check SOMETHING is leaving, say a Google home speaker, but you can't tell what it is sending. I tried getting HTTPS Inspection working on a few devices in my home (Sony Android TV, Google Home Mini) and due to the lack of support for installing custom certificates, you'll never know fully what exact data is being sent.

This is the future, the peasantry will cry out as the on/off buttons get removed from more and more devices. Much like they did when headphone jacks were removed. Progress is never without its cynics but it is necessary.

What’s most amusing are people worried about being listened to. I mean your phone could already be doing that quite easily. Your TV, any smart speaker you may have, your existing headphones. But more to the point, who is going to pay for a technician to hack into your home network and sit there listening to the microphone on your headphones? Unless you happen to be someone important and most of us are not - you have nothing to worry about.

This is the future, the peasantry will cry out as the on/off buttons get removed from more and more devices. Much like they did when headphone jacks were removed. Progress is never without its cynics but it is necessary.
Having a power button has nothing to do with progress, nothing at all, no one cares that their Google Home or Alexa speakers don't have power buttons on.
Battery powered devices on the other hand? Not being able to turn them off simply destroys the battery...

I already listen to music less because of the shift to Bluetooth only headphones. making the battery life way worse across all products isn't really a smart move...

Having a power button has nothing to do with progress, nothing at all, no one cares that their Google Home or Alexa speakers don't have power buttons on.
Battery powered devices on the other hand? Not being able to turn them off simply destroys the battery...

I already listen to music less because of the shift to Bluetooth only headphones. making the battery life way worse across all products isn't really a smart move...
You really think turning them off manually and saving that 5 minutes is going to make a huge difference to the battery? Considering that they are made by Apple and probably include the battery preserving technology they have in their iPhones and AirPods currently I don’t think users would get noticeably less battery degradation by saving 5 mins of standby with a manual button. Also that button is a point of failure, a mechanical component that could break.

Your phone has a battery. Does it have a manual power on or off button? Do you power it down to conserve your battery?

You really think turning them off manually and saving that 5 minutes is going to make a huge difference to the battery? Considering that they are made by Apple and probably include the battery preserving technology they have in their iPhones and AirPods currently I don’t think users would get noticeably less battery degradation by saving 5 mins of standby with a manual button. Also that button is a point of failure, a mechanical component that could break.

Your phone has a battery. Does it have a manual power on or off button? Do you power it down to conserve your battery?
I don't know about the AirPods (I was under the impression when they are put into their case, they completely switch off?) but my experience with Wireless Headphones that don't actually turn off just means they're useless more often than not.

I don't use them every day, sometimes not even once a week, which means whenever I do actually want to use them, they will be dead. I'm not saying Apple can't overcome this issue with some apparent crazy low power draw but my point is, how is not being able to turn something off progress? What is the point of not being able to turn them off?

Back