Apple granted patent for interchangeable iPhone camera lenses mounting system

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The US Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple a patent that describes a mounting system for the iPhone that would allow users to attach different lenses over the phone’s camera. The system would use a bayonet attachment mechanism by which the user attaches the lens by twisting it into the receptacle until it locks - similar to methods already in place on traditional interchangeable lens cameras.

The Cupertino-based company notes in the filing that bayonet mounts are much more secure than other methods of attachment like magnets, clips or adhesives. This means that the lens would always sit in the correct position and you wouldn’t have to worry about losing it.

apple iphone camera patent lens interchangeable camera lens

Despite the benefits of such a system, I’d personally be surprised if we ever saw this show up on an Apple product. For one, it would add a bit of girth to whatever platform it was installed on and second, I’m not sure how popular aftermarket lenses are in the first place.

Then again, the cameras inside smartphones are improving with each generation and it could serve as yet another income stream for Apple’s accessory business. What’s more, they could even license its use out to third-party manufacturers for added revenue.

Either way, it’s important to remember that this is just a patent filing right now. There’s no way to know for sure if or when Apple will ever implement such a system or if they’re simply doing it to prevent other companies from using such a mount on their devices.

Permalink to story.

similar to methods already in place on traditional interchangeable lens cameras.
So all the other phone makers can make their own design or use the traditional interchangeable lens. I don't see a problem with this.

Ah awesome wish I got patents free without inventing or making any products like that, just shows that even if your pathetically stupid you will be given random patents to sue the hell out of others :)

This is an example of money ruling the world. Apple should have never been granted such a patent. There have been multiple companies developing cameras for iPhone for years: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=iPhone+camera

And now Apple decides to patent their work and start milking them, and receives the patent just like that...

This is terrible. The patent office must be totally corrupt.

The patent office isn't corrupt, but they do have to follow the laws. The problem is the laws were written 100 years ago and don't apply well to technology.

My first thought was also that Apple did this to get the patent so that others couldn't do it. But I really doubt any big name company would have thought about building something like this for their phone without first filing a patent. I also don't see why Apple would do it to prevent a small company from attaching a lens as it would drive sales of more iPhones. It’s not like they stopped Sqaure from making their credit card reader for the iPhone. Who knows though… maybe they tried.

When a small company applies for a patent, it goes into the "patent pending" status for a long-long time, because of the backlog.

When a huge corporation applies for a package of patents, they get to push it through right away, because they pay better and have an army of lawyers help them all the way.

There is no fairness in this business, it is both flawed and corrupt at the same time, imho.

I really would love an attachable lens, as long as the built-in lens doesnt extrude to accommodate this.

Why don't they just cut the crap and patent the act of patenting something.
I'm sure the USPO will gladly give them the patent like they always have.

This way they never will have any more issues with pesky other companies trying to make a buck.

I think it's important to differentiate between interchangeable and attachable. The patent looks like it is a bayonet for attachable lenses. There doesn't appear to be any electrical contacts either. So it's a patent on a clip shape, nothing more. It won't stop anyone else doing something similar because there are a huge number of pre-existing and similar patents and bayonet mounted lenses have been around for decades.

This clearly shows that it's ok for Apple to copy other companies and products without consequence. They didn't created the snap lens and shouldn't be allowed to get a patent on something they did not freakin' invented.

Back