Apple investigating reports of iPhone 8s bursting open; battery swelling a possible cause

midian182

Staff member

It’s common for some newly released smartphones to experience problems. Huge production numbers and the rush to get the handsets ready in time often mean issues do appear — some more serious than others. But as Samsung would tell you, anything relating to the battery can be worrisome. Sadly for Apple, the iPhone 8's battery could be why some of the handsets are reportedly bursting open.

Photos have appeared on Twitter from iPhone 8 Plus owners showing the handsets with massive splits along the sides. Some say the casings cracked as they were charging the phones using official accessories, while others claim the devices were already destroyed when they opened the box.

Just how many iPhone 8 buyers have experienced the problem is still unknown, though it appears to be several isolated cases rather than a more widespread issue. According to The Independent, Apple believes the splitting is caused by battery swelling but says it does not pose a safety concern. The company confirmed it is “looking into” two reports of the issue.

Even if this is just a few rare instances, it’s more bad news for the iPhone 8. The handsets come with few upgrades over their predecessors, and most Apple fans have shunned them in favor of the iPhone X, which launches in November. The muted interest in Apple’s latest handset led to some of the smallest lines for a new iPhone in years.

Last week, Apple confirmed that some iPhone 8 owners are experiencing a crackling or static sound that affects the handsets’ audio, but said it is working on a fix for the problem.

Permalink to story.

There is obvious "lead time" between concept, design, testing, and final manufacturing but ... after the Samsung incidents you would think that somebody in engineering or quality control would be anticipating heat related battery swelling and would pay very close attention.

These iPhone 8’s did what they were designed to do. This is a safety feature. This is the iPhone’s way of telling you that there may be a problem with the battery, or that you’re not holding it right. Or that you should have taken a bigger bite of the Apple and waited for the iPhone X.

Didn't know the iPhone 8s had interchangeble internal to jump to your face like an alien facehuger. Nice touch.

That Iphone X would be headed right back to where it came from for a full refund.
I really don't understand why apple is in a hurry to come out with newer version every year.
I would like to see apple fix their current screw ups in IP5 - IP7 before they start talking about $1000 phone.

Ha, must have the tampon too tight for the Crapple, got to love a dying sheep or its production needs better Jobs.

I really don't understand why apple is in a hurry to come out with newer version every year.

Because it sells.

Just not so much this time. Hauwei pushing iPhone to number three spot (globally) would have a little to do with it, as well as some great feature rich android phones out there from the usual players.

The question of why Apple puts out a new phone every year, even though they always have problems, came up in the comments. I'll explain it. It's ALL about $ $$$.$$. They know Tech Writers will show "leaked" pictures of a "supposed" (speculation) NEW iPhone, months ahead, and will describe it as GEORGEOUS, and the most BEAUTIFUL phone design they've ever seen. In spite of the FACT "all" cell phones are RECTANGULAR, with square, or round corners. BUT! Apple KNOWS they only have to make any (1) small change (good, or bad), and Apple fans will stand in long lines, for hours, to willingly put another $700 to $1000 on their CC, every year. Apple thrives on Loyalty! (aka: Suckers)

Apple believes the splitting is caused by battery swelling but says it does not pose a safety concern - except when disgruntled owners throw them through Apple Store windows in angry disgust, causing plate glass shards and plastic phone parts to embed in the bodies of store employees. Apple is contemplating assigning a full-time paramedic to each store, in anticipation of the onslaught...

Apple believes the splitting is caused by battery swelling but says it does not pose a safety concern - except when disgruntled owners throw them through Apple Store windows in angry disgust, causing plate glass shards and plastic phone parts to embed in the bodies of store employees. Apple is contemplating assigning a full-time paramedic to each store, in anticipation of the onslaught...

Very unlikely... They are using Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on their windows. Lol. The trolling won't stop soon.

Because it sells.

Just not so much this time. Hauwei pushing iPhone to number three spot (globally) would have a little to do with it, as well as some great feature rich android phones out there from the usual players.

Let me help something stick inside your brain for a long time:
Quality over quanity aka Production quanity will win every time.
I've seen how apples phone work, the services they offer and the features.
It wasn't nearly enough to get me to buy one and its just too over rated.
A good android phone from ZTE would do more than I needed it to do.
Even the windows nokia phone I use everyday is still more worth it than apple.

Let me help something stick inside your brain for a long time:
Quality over quanity aka Production quanity will win every time.
I've seen how apples phone work, the services they offer and the features.
It wasn't nearly enough to get me to buy one and its just too over rated.
A good android phone from ZTE would do more than I needed it to do.
Even the windows nokia phone I use everyday is still more worth it than apple.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, but the mobile space is not your forte.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lets hear you're thoughts about apple ?
How about my thoughts? Let me see..
1. Apple products are aimed at elitists (snobs).
2. Apple products are sold to wannabe elitists ("upwardly mobile" middle-classers who want people to think they're elite).
3. iPhones are way over-priced for what you get.
4. There's a Sheeple born every minute.
5. Alarming tendency to explode, catch fire, or eat your wallet with replacement/breakage insurance.
6. Marks the owner as an elitist jerk (random face punches inevitable).
7. iPhones are heavily targeted by thieves and muggers, so have fun "showing it off".
8. Deleted the 3.5 jack just to sell expensive AirPods ($160? WTF?).
9. Steve Jobs is in the top 10 list of the worst humans of all time.
10. Wow...(with thanks to hahahanoobs).

Back