Apple iPhone 5 Review: Thinner, Lighter, Faster

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/579-apple-iphone-5/]https://www.techspot.com/review/579-apple-iphone-5/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Shawn: THANK YOU for reporting on telephone call sound quality and resistance to dropping calls. While you didn't address the subject until close to the end or your review, few reviews of cell phones have ANY information on how well the device functions AS A PHONE.

Everyone would laugh if a review of a new Nikon or Canon DSLR camera had no information on picture quality, but how well a phone functions as a phone seems to be irrelevant to most reviewers.

That's awesome Memphis has LTE now. I've been under the impression my "4G" icon meant I really had 4G and that it just sucked. AT&T would never lie, tho. O.o

Battery life looks good, think that's the only thing that would make me look at an iPhone.

This reviewer seems to be trying hard to overlook the flaws. This is not how to review something, a review should be impartial, not from a fanboy.

I actually went to the Apple store and looked at it extensively even with the wife begging to walk around the mall. The device itself is very sturdy and well built. I really like the back aluminum instead of glass feeling. It's thin and very light. The OS is as fast as you'd expect and the display is clear and sharp.

But the biggest flaw only in my opinion is the boring and "samey" feeling of the OS. It's the exact same experience since the iPhone's original inception. Sure it's faster, sure it's slightly longer now at 4 inches. But it's nothing extraordinary. You still cant customize it to your liking. There are still no widgets. And would it have killed them to widen it up a bit maybe a few cm?

Overall though it's a phone made for people who don't like radical change. Which is good or bad depending on your own criteria. And apparently 5 million cultivists, I mean consumers, agree that its what they want.

Interesting. Although very much focusing on improvements. Randomthom said: "This reviewer seems to be trying hard to overlook the flaws". I agree with this is very much so. Commenting on increased screen space not being used with "Some apps still need to be updated for the larger screen". I believe that refers to 95% of all apps not using this extra space. And that's not a whole lot of nothing.
The apple maps dysfunctionality is simply brushed away. I read on internet that a google app might be still far away.
How about commenting on for example a still lacking widget funcionality? The interface is one big app drawer with a couple of folders. Honestly, ios is working just fine but does show signs of old age.

Battery life looks good, think that's the only thing that would make me look at an iPhone.
I was thinking something similar. I don't think anything would give me a desire to look at an iPhone but this one sure is tempting.
This reviewer seems to be trying hard to overlook the flaws. This is not how to review something, a review should be impartial, not from a fanboy.
There must not be any flaws or you would have presented them for addition to the article.

in this case you should really be looking at new Motorola droid RAZR MAXX

as for review, seems way too fanboyish:
Super fast
so previous iPhones were actually slow or what? my first gen Windows Phone is fast too, although some 3rd party apps can perform poorly regardless of hardware advancements.
larger display
it's only new for iPhones and brings some problems with majority apps not supporting new aspect ratio
thinner body
making things thinner is only good when it makes sense, I don't think there is any problem with previous iPhones thickness or competing phones thickness.
solid battery life
the only valid point here, although not the longest battery life out there.
has been around for a while now and it's only new for Apple devices.
improved camera
just who don't improve camera on a new flagship device? it's nothing special and not the best either.

So from this review there is nothing wrong with the phone? Did you get it free?
Do you think everything should be free? Do you consider something wrong with everything that you have to pay for?

Did I miss something, or do I need to get all my stuff from you?

I'm willing to bet you wouldn't put much out for free either.

Why is it that because a lot of people love and buy Apple products that automatically makes them some kind of cult or what not? Granted---there are people who absolutely love Apple products and buy nothing else, but how is that any different than people who buy only Android or Windows or Rim?

The thing is---Apple products are in demand right now and they make great products and that's probably why there's always a line for a new product such as the iPhone. They provide a great user experience and they're high quality products.

For those that don't like Apple, there are great choices from Samsung, Motorola, and a host of other companies.

It's all about choice and preferences.Either way, go out and enjoy the great products we're getting from all these companies. You can't go wrong either way.

Personaly I think Google Maps is not coming soon, Google will delay the launch of this app in iOS because it is hurting apple and if they launch this app in iOS they will produce money for apple via advertisement which basically is Google's bussiness and what is worst those who pay to Google for Adversiment won't get adverts in iOS Google Maps. In other words launch Google Maps in iOS is help the enemy in the same bussiness without get a real revenue plus lost clients, delay it and some advertiser will drop iOS and go to Android.
The only option is to create a kind of shorcut that open the browser in Google Maps and Google will be able to use their own adverts but will be apple let go some kind of app in their store?

"It may not be as open as Android and it doesn’t have the largest screen, but Apple has once again proved why it's among the most innovative consumer tech companies in the world."

LMAO!!!

This review is why fanboys should not be allowed to write reviews...

Looks good? As much as they say it gets "All-Day-Battery Life" that's with less than minimal use. If you're worried about battery life, you can pick up the [FONT=Open Sans]Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx which easily has replaceable batteries.[/FONT]

Super fast

It's not "Super Fast" it's speed is milliseconds of a difference when compared to most dual-core phones. Besides, for the past 4+ years I've shared my one mini USB style charger with Blackberry Users, Android Users, and nearly everything in between like the ENV 3. You now have to carry a pigtail to use anyone else's charger.

larger display

Larger than the one you just bought months ago** It's still smaller then the Galaxy Nexus, Evo 4G, Thunderbolt, Droid Bionic, Galaxy S 2 & more. Oh, but the ppi is better! - Yea, not good enough to show you how much you waste in money buying the same phone over and over.

thinner body

I currently have the Droid 4, which is one of the fattest of them out there. My hand is also slightly larger and can grip a larger bodied phone as opposed to a thin one. Saying a good change is the thinner body is like me celebrating that I just paid over $200 to lose 3 pounds.

solid battery life

Fresh out of the box, they always are. Give it two months. Oh wait, my old Droid 2 cell phone still gets better battery life, and I paid nothing for it.

LTE

Metro PCS had LTE before Apple did. They have unlimited talk, text, and data plans for $60 a month. They're a crumb in comparisin to Apple in terms of company size.

improved camera

You mentioned that Android phones have had the panoramic capture for a while, and there have been apps that do this on the iPhone anyway. Why are they praising it again? To give Apple fan's something to talk about.

-The fact is, the people buying these phones are pure fanatics. The majority of people who buy the iPhone literally buy it the second it's available...for what? To take a panoramic photo that Android phones could do over two years ago? I've seen a hand full of people "Accidentally" break their screen days before the iPhone 5 came out, coincidence? No, they just felt they needed a good reason to buy the new version.

I understand this is a Tech News & Analysis website (And I love you guys for it) but when will people face the reality that apple could turn it's logo upside down, call it iPhone 5s, and people WOULD BUY IT.

Numbers don't lie:
Current Percent of iOS Platform World Wide Use: 18.8%
Current Percent of Android Platform World Wide Use: 64%

Good review. Nice phone. Nice update. Complaints in the forum here border on the usual childish "I don't have one so I hate them" borelogues. For example, Windows (except v.8 Metro which most despise and try to turn off) has been using the same desktop-icon interface FOREVER.

I usually like reviews at techspot, but I have to say this one looked really biased. needless to say, I am a happy user of an iPhone 4, and I think androids are cool too.

When it says...
"Of course, this is a feature that some Android handsets have shipped with and it's even been possible via third-party apps on previous iPhones, but that doesn't take too much thunder away from Apple's native offering in my opinion." personally I think it does take a lot of thunder, it's nothing new to flatter about.

I also respectfully disagree with...
"The iPhone 5 is the handset that many people have been waiting for. It's lighter, thinner, faster and more durable than previous versions" While it is objective to say it's lighter, thinner and faster, I question the word "durable", the phone doesn't even has 1 month in the hand of users, how can you measure it is more durable than an iphone 4?.

While I do like Iphones and apple products, I think this version left many expecting for something much better. Personally I wouldn't have give it a 90... more of an 81.

To the reviewer of this article:

personally, I think it's a nice review.. people (especially guests) who comment this reviewer is biased, they don't realize that their opinion(s) itself is biased..

So what is the benchmark in this review?

This should be called an overview because not much as been tested.

Can we look forward to some shoot outs with maybe the s3 and comparable motorola devices?

It still shoots at 8 megapixels but results are said to be better thanks to a new sapphire crystal on the lens and backside-illuminated sensor.

are they or aren't they better? who is it that is saying it's better? this is a review, did you not review the pic quality of the camera on your own or are you just taking someone's word for it?

Numbers don't lie:
Current Percent of iOS Platform World Wide Use: 18.8%
Current Percent of Android Platform World Wide Use: 64%

what are you trying to say? I say you still don't get the big picture yet, next time please leave more qualified comments, as I see yours is still ..not intelligent and not very objective
and the numbers? sorry, that's not true..

if you see by OS, the result:
iOS: 34%
Android: 51%
the rest is other OS (symbian, bb, windows, etc)

now, if you see by OS then manufacturer, you'll see another thing
Apple (iOS): 34%
Android 51%: (samsung 17%, HTC 14%, Motorola 11%, other 9%)

check this out
http://www.businessinsider.com/char...manufacturer-share-by-operating-system-2012-7

If a dual core outperforms a quad core I blame the software.

It is not that simple. It is actually the entire platform on which the software is developed:

- For iPhone it is mostly native stuff, Object C, which compiles into native code and thus offers utmost speed and best memory management.

- For Android too many apps are written in Java - a performance hog that cannot catch up with the native code. This is why experience on iPhone continues to be better even with inferior hardware.

@Randomthom

"This reviewer seems to be trying hard to overlook the flaws. This is not how to review something, a review should be impartial, not from a fanboy"

I think that's the point for a review, highlighting the pros and cons as well as the flaws objectively to the readers, so the final judgement will be depends on readers alone..
For me, the reviewer is neutral and trying to review this very objectively. And I'm lucky it's not you who reviewed this..

Back