Apple loyalty reaches new heights as Android brands falter

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Apple fans have long been known for their brand loyalty, something which, according to a new survey, has now reached an all-time high of 92%. It’s the opposite story for owners of Android handsets, with many preparing to switch to different brands or even jump to iOS when they upgrade.

Sellcell’s survey involved more than 5,000 smartphone users in the United States aged 18 years or older. Out of the 2,000 iPhone users who participated, 92% said they would stick with Apple when upgrading. That’s an increase from 90.5% in 2019. The top reasons for staying with Apple were:

• Like iPhone best or never had an issue with it: 65%
  • Locked into the ecosystem: 21%
  • Switching from iOS to Android is too much hassle: 10%
  • Prefer to stick to what they know: 8%

Looking at rival Samsung, the Korean firm saw its brand loyalty rating fall 11.7% from 85.7% in 2019 to 74% in 2021. Over half of those jumping ship will land on Apple’s platform, with 31.5% citing privacy concerns as the main reason for moving to an iPhone, while 25% say Apple offers better value for money.

The top reasons for staying with Samsung were:

• Like Samsung best or never had an issue with it: 64%
  • Locked into the ecosystem: 5%
  • Too much hassle changing operating systems from Android to iOS: 18%
  • Prefer to stick to what they know: 13%

Other Android brands are also struggling to hold on to users: Just 65% of Pixel users intend to upgrade to another one of Google’s phones; 34% of LG owners are sticking with the brand; a mere 29% of users are staying with Motorola.

When asked about the leading smartphone companies’ flagship lines, 46.6% of respondents said they believe the new iPhone 12 range is the best while 30.4% prefer Samsung’s Galaxy S21 series. They were also asked to pick their favorite individual models released in or after August 2020. The iPhone 12 topped the list, followed by the iPhone 12 Pro Max and Samsung Galaxy S21.

Most popular smartphones.

1. Apple iPhone 12 — 17%

2. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max — 12.7%

3. Samsung Galaxy S21 — 11.4%

4. Apple iPhone 12 Pro — 10.6%

5. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra — 10%

6. Samsung Galaxy S21+ — 9%

7. Google Pixel 5 — 8.1%

8. Apple iPhone 12 Mini — 6.3%

9. Other — 5%

10. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G — 3.1%

11. Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G — 2.5%

12. LG Wing 5G — 2.3%

13. Motorola Razr 5G — 1.2%

14. Motorola Edge S — 0.8%

The pandemic meant the smartphone market struggled during the first three quarters of 2020, but an Apple-led revival in Q4 brought renewed optimism. Overall, global shipments were down 5.9% across the year. While demand for phones is increasing, supply could become an issue as the industry becomes the latest to feel the effects of worldwide chip shortages.

Permalink to story.

Android's problem is when people think Android, they think Samsung, and anything else isn't as good. Someone needs to consistently match or surpass them year after year for things to change in a good way for the platform.

Until then, iPhone will continue to be a very good/better alternative more times than not.

I'm still blown away that Samsung has such a massive following, they really aren't the best Android based smartphones out there.

I've had a lot of phones over the years, I would go back to an iPhone if Apple actually improved their phones (Fingerprint scan and USB-C would do it for me but iOS is a bit crap these days) but they just don't do anything other than improve the camera.

I'm still blown away that Samsung has such a massive following, they really aren't the best Android based smartphones out there.

I've had a lot of phones over the years, I would go back to an iPhone if Apple actually improved their phones (Fingerprint scan and USB-C would do it for me but iOS is a bit crap these days) but they just don't do anything other than improve the camera.

Advertising is everything.

I’d probably never buy an Android for personal use, but if I did, I’d buy a Samsung flagship.

Advertising is everything.

I’d probably never buy an Android for personal use, but if I did, I’d buy a Samsung flagship.
This is the thing, advertising just doesn't work on me, at all really. Almost everything I buy (this includes mundane things as well like kettles) I Google to see what's got the best reviews, aggregate several sites together, whittle down to the top 2-3, then look at lots of reviews to see which one would serve me best. Then I look at user reviews to see if there's any glaring issues that reviewers miss out (although most user reviews tend to be just user error).

Adverts never play a part in my decision, the most I get out of an advert is "well that exists".

Android has the edge because I can load my media and emulators onto the device with no hassle. Google has been doing their best to screw this up withfile permission changes and other tom****ery. That and headphone jacks, I have vehicles and a home sound system, none of which are bluetooth, and I'm not about to dump money into fragile adapters and put more wear on my charging port all so someone can make some more $$$ on headphones.

I liked my iphone SE when I had it, but the battery just didnt last long enough for me. If Apple actually put big batteries in their "PRO" line, on par with the cells were getting in motorola g power and samsung flagship phones, and brought the headphone jack back, I might be tempted since android's midrange market right now sucks.

I couldnt care less about "muh updates" and "muh security". Apps get updated independent of the OS, and despite the shrill cries from tech media, I've never been pwned from my phone, neither has anyone else I know or worked with over the last 10 years. Now PoS machines in restraunts? I've had my data lost on 4 of those things. And had my employer hacked, and the hospital I go to, and the online stores I buy from. But never from my phone.

And I aint paying $1000 for a phone, unless the battery is user replaceable and I can keep it as long as I want.

This is the thing, advertising just doesn't work on me, at all really. Almost everything I buy (this includes mundane things as well like kettles) I Google to see what's got the best reviews, aggregate several sites together, whittle down to the top 2-3, then look at lots of reviews to see which one would serve me best. Then I look at user reviews to see if there's any glaring issues that reviewers miss out (although most user reviews tend to be just user error).

Adverts never play a part in my decision, the most I get out of an advert is "well that exists".

You're looking at this wrong: If you are the type of user to look at and compare reviews, advertising for those products will not work on you in the same way.

But, notice I said "the same way" because there's different market segments and different ways to sell to each. Mass market, Samsung advertising does work simply because most people are not critical enough and just care about the presentation of a product.

The tech user being more critical, looking over a specs and such, that's a different market. But advertising on those consumers actually does work and it works great, it just needs to be far less obvious to the point it gets insidious: A tech users wouldn't just believe the hype of a typical ad but he would believe the opinion of a trusted youtube "reviewer" And let's be perfectly clear: even if they preach and somehow adhere to impartiality their function is the same: advertising. If they get any review samples at all, companies give those as part of a marketing campaign and can mold opinion in more subtle (And sometimes not too subtle) ways to make sure their key talking points get covered by all these reviewers and in a way that helps them like enforcing review embargo dates and NDAs.

So to me the lesson is never to assume anyone is too smart to fall for advertising: nobody is. There's always a psychological trick to cohere people into buying things, even into changing deeply held believes and chances are people in marketing already figured out even the "smart" people and savvy consumers, long ago.

The best Android phones are the budget ones. For example a redmii note 9 costs £100 in the U.K. and can do most of the things an S20 can do. It’s plasticky, no OLED and isn’t waterproof etc but for what you’re going to use it for it’s fine mostly.

I massively prefer iPhone and I really don’t understand why people give iPhone money for Android devices but I can absolutely understand why someone would buy a budget Android device over an iPhone.

Samsung phones aren't even great when it comes to the Android OS. They load it with their bloatware and own theme to begin with.

I rarely see techy people with iPhones, at least not the real techy people.

Apple's ecosystem is just half rate IMO. Their cloud system is bottom of the barrel. You're better off using alt options.

Google really could use a kick to start making more premium devices.

I'd totally rock a galaxy fold if the price wasn't so expensive.

If you really care about privacy you'd micromanage your info you put out there. Apple uses privacy more as a marketing term than anything.

What I have noticed about the apple cult followers, they have never used an Android device, specially a Pixel phone.

Both platforms have their good points and right now, if you want a really good smartwatch, sadly to say, the iWatch is number one.

But me personally, would never get an iPhone, given how useless iOS is (for me at least).

I cannot do anything that is not approved by Jobs ghost on my iPad Pro, their cloud offerings are really weak and the so called superior privacy has one big flaw that everyone ignores: Apple holds the encryption keys of all the data on your profile. Also, they love to attack Google on the privacy matter, yet they also use Google servers to store your data.
And they also have their own advertising division that is using your data to feed it.

If they are forced to open up the platform and at the very least offer sideloading, then I would consider an iPhone, but meanwhile, I will stay with Androids.

How do you think Google works? It's not a charity search engine.
Everything is advertisement. This "analysis" writeup is advertisement. It's tailored to suit Sell Cell's needs the most. Both in getting the most "news" return and to get the best profits from what they're doing, buying and selling phones.

Um... okay my sample size is not 2000, (probably more like 400) but 95% of those people stick to the OS they have because it's what they know and have been using for the last 10, some cases almost 15 years and think switching to another OS is too much of a hassle, and additionally they don't think they'll be able to get the same apps they used to have or "need" to have. Not this 18% or 13% crap (31% total if you want to be generous).

Last edited:
I rarely see techy people with iPhones, at least not the real techy people.

Apple's ecosystem is just half rate IMO. Their cloud system is bottom of the barrel. You're better off using alt options.

Google really could use a kick to start making more premium devices.

I'd totally rock a galaxy fold if the price wasn't so expensive.

If you really care about privacy you'd micromanage your info you put out there. Apple uses privacy more as a marketing term than anything.
Spot on. Working in IT field with over 600+ IT folks. Only about 10% has iphones the rest rock Android OS. For the non IT... how I know. Everyone's phone is linked to work e-mail and we can see the OS version and details...

Apple's fans are just iSheep, they refuse to think with their heads, they don't want to look to phones made by innovative producers like OnePlus or Xiaomi that are much better then any iphone at half the price.
With any Android phone you are not limited by what Apple wants you to do, bu you have limitless freedom to customize the way your phone looks and behaves.

I use Android but I never stick to the same make, I like to mix things up and get always change when its time for an upgrade, might even pick up an iPhone eventually, you will never know if you like something different if you keep buying the same S**t : - P

Huawei made very popular Android phones, then there‘s Xiamoi....we all know what happened.

Apple's fans are just iSheep, they refuse to think with their heads, they don't want to look to phones made by innovative producers like OnePlus or Xiaomi that are much better then any iphone at half the price.
With any Android phone you are not limited by what Apple wants you to do, bu you have limitless freedom to customize the way your phone looks and behaves.

Both android and apple have strength and weakness. Which one is best for each person depend what their priority of feature is. This can include thing like price or customize, but there are many other reason to favor one over other. Different people have different preference and priority. It is not matter of right and wrong or using head vs not using head. Just using what you like and please give other peoples respect to choosing what is best for them. Including insult is not constructive to discussion.

Please don't call people sheep. Most people just buy what works for them or what fits in their budget. Also, changing platforms can be quite intimidating. Especially for non technical people (the majority of buyers).

I'm done with the whole smartphone paradigm as it currently exists. I've had reservations about it since the beginning but no manufacturer sees fit to produce a device I don't want to instantly smash to bits.

they don't want to look to phones made by innovative producers like OnePlus or Xiaomi that are much better then any iphone at half the price.
I wouldn't touch a Xiaomi phone with someone else's ten-foot pole, it stinks of China. BLEH!!!
It still has Google and that's what a lot of people are trying to get away from.

What would you call me? I dabble in programming, I build my own systems, I tweak stuff with my own home-built system, yet I own an iPhone. Does that make me an iSheep? I just want something that works and an iPhone does it. I get my tweaking fix with my PC.

What would you call me? I dabble in programming, I build my own systems, I tweak stuff with my own home-built system, yet I own an iPhone. Does that make me an iSheep? I just want something that works and an iPhone does it. I get my tweaking fix with my PC.
It makes you someone that would probably be just as happy with a feature phone as an iPhone, and 4 figures richer for the bargain.

Unless of course you bought it for the cache of owning (or leasing, as the case may be) an Apple product, which would, yes, make you an iSheep, regardless of your other technical achievements.

Last edited:
Back