Apple may be plotting the demise of the iPhone's Home button

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple iphone home smartphone handset mobile phone phone iphone home button home button

The iPhone has evolved in many ways over the years but the one constant – the physical Home button – remains largely unchanged. That may soon be changing according to the latest scuttlebutt from DigiTimes.

Sources in Taiwan’s semiconductor industry claim Apple is developing new touch and display driver integration (TDDI) single-chip solutions for its iPhones. These chips are said to include fingerprint sensors meaning the entire front panel of the iPhone could be used to unlock the device, authorize payments and so on.

Eliminating the Home button would free up a ton of extra real estate on the front of the iPhone which Apple could either fill with more screen or eliminate completely for a slimmer device. Apple is known for its rather large top and bottom bezels and being able to reduce their footprint certainly makes sense.

The report suggests Apple is interested in developing more of its chips in-house. As you know, the Cupertino-based company already custom designs the A-series processors used in the iPhone and iPad. If true, the decision could have a significant impact on the global semiconductor industry (Apple suppliers), sources said.

DigiTimes doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to Apple rumors although they have been accurate at times. The removal of the Home button also isn’t a new idea but thus far, it hasn’t happened. As always, it’s advised to take rumors with a healthy dose of salt.

Permalink to story.

More fingerprints on the screen...

iPhones do have almost the thickest borders among top smartphones, kind of a shame. If they just slimmed the borders like other manufacturers did, the iPhone6+ could have been even usable.

One main reason I didn't buy it, it's just too large for my hands. Trying to grow or stretch fingers didn't work for me... :)

Aww... What a let down. I almost missed the last two words of the articles headline, I was getting all excited until I noticed them. :D

More fingerprints on the screen...

iPhones do have almost the thickest borders among top smartphones, kind of a shame. If they just slimmed the borders like other manufacturers did, the iPhone6+ could have been even usable.

One main reason I didn't buy it, it's just too large for my hands. Trying to grow or stretch fingers didn't work for me... :)
You're not trying hard enough. I managed to grow and stretch my fingers but the price burnt and shrunk them back down again.

After using Android, I wish Apple would incorporate a "Back" button.

Watch apple introduce soft touch buttons and call it a revolutionary new feature even though laptops and android based smartphones have had them for nearly a decade now.

Honestly, Apple's design team hasn't done anything all that useful in the past several years. Their devices have not greatly changed. Look at Samsung's galaxy line, and you can see some vast changes from the original to now.

iPhones top n bottom big bezel's getting 'old' now. I agree that it needs to be changed. My idea Apple, try & make the top one smaller and lose the bottom one. Add a see-through bottom bezel that's big enough just for a fingerprint scanner, and use the space for screen real estate. But the scanner is also glass see-thought and a part of the screen... good idea peep's? :)

Back