Apple PR boss Katie Cotton to retire after 18 years of service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple guru katie cotton retire pr katie cotton public relations

Katie Cotton, Apple’s vice president of worldwide communications, has decided to retire according to a report from Re/code. Cotton has been in charge of guiding the media narrative around a multitude of Apple products, having worked with both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook over the past 18 years.

The report notes that Cotton has long been among the company’s most powerful executives and has played a key role in shaping mystique and exclusivity around the Apple brand.

In a statement on the matter, the Cupertino-based company said Cotton has given her all to the company but has wanted to spend time with her children for some time now. Apple is really going to miss her, the statement read. When reached for comment by Re/code, Cotton said the decision to leave Apple was one of the most difficult of her career as Apple is part of her heart and soul.

No word yet on who will fill Cotton’s position but as we saw with the death of co-founder Steve Jobs, Apple is bigger than any one person and will continue with business as usual.

The immediate future for Apple includes next month’s Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, the imminent launch of the iPhone 6 later this year and perhaps the unveiling of the long-rumored iWatch. A revised iPad could also be in the works although those hoping to see an Apple television set will likely be disappointed. It is unclear when – or if – such a device will ever be produced.

Permalink to story.

18 Years.... Thats nothing... She only retired from the 18 Years of shares/ Billions of $$$$ in her pocket.

The very person responsible for Apple's brainwash for the masses, convincing the world for 18 years that Apple is a must have, a true architect for the gullible.

Must be utterly satisfying for her to see an endless zombie-nation behind shoulders. Job well done.

In the meantime, Apple seems to start losing it...
  • The long awaited iWatch never made it, after years of speculation;
  • The Apple TV never made it, and likely never will, by the look of it;
  • They just updated Macbook Air, fitting it with much slower SSD-s than before, that's an unheard-of "upgrade" by Apple;
  • Everything indicates they are going to push their 326 PPI iPhone screens into the 5th year of its utilization, for iPhone 6, putting them so far behind the market trend. That is not innovation.
So yeah, I would also take the billions, if I had them, and run away, before the zombie wakes up :)

Last edited:
Mystique and exclusivity??? C'mon man that's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. What's so exclusive about their products when millions of people already own them? And the only mystical thing about them is how the execs sleep at night knowing they are done nothing but sued, stolen, robbed, bullied & connived (and those are their good points) to get to where they are now but remember nothing lasts forever. Good luck to this chick whoever she is, I hope she enjoy's her retirement.

Last edited:
Apple products have been rather disappointing recently . I think Android Phones have definite edge on them. I wonder why she decided to retire all of a sudden she was not that old to begin with if you know what I mean. Their CEO have been rather active lately visiting yahoo and all. I dont what they are going to do about this

How quickly sentiment can change. It wasn't long ago that an Apple story would be fluffed with comments from Fanbois.

Now the turn against Apple seems unstoppable, and about time!

Windows Phone are going to NUKE Apple like they should have a long time ago.

No more smug products from a smug company that acts smugly with all their profits.

Mystique and exclusivity??? C'mon man that's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. What's so exclusive about their products when millions of people already own them?
The fact that they once were. Back when nobody owned them. You are reading the comment as in now, when to me it covers her past as well.

The fact that they once were. Back when nobody owned them. You are reading the comment as in now, when to me it covers her past as well.
I was overreacting a bit, I tend to do that when I read about Apple, I have nothing against Apples employees and really do wish her the best for the future but as for Apples "mystique & exclusivity". Bah!!! A Rolls Royce? Yes that is exclusive and mystic but not everyday consumer products like Apples.

Last edited:
Big whoop. Any other company and this wouldn't be news. This shouldn't be news. Is every single person holding a management position in Apple a tech icon now? *shakes head*

Back