Apple prepares to crack open iOS' walled garden in Europe

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Apple's determination to keep iOS a secure and closed software platform has been controversial and new European laws threaten to force Cupertino to open it. Reports now indicate Apple will soon comply with those laws, fundamentally changing iOS as we know it.

Bloomberg's sources report that Apple employees are laying the groundwork to eventually allow iOS and iPadOS users to install apps outside the App Store. The process could involve allowing third-party app stores, sideloading, or both. The company may initially only open its walled garden for users in European Union countries to comply with new legislation. Of course, operating two separate infrastructures could prove problematic.

Businesses and regulators have long criticized Apple's role as the sole gatekeeper for all iPhone and iPad software, taking a 30-percent sales cut from all transactions on the platform. However, Apple continually defends its policy on user safety grounds, highlighting the relative lack of malware on iOS compared to other, more open operating systems.

The company's impending reversal complies with the Digital Markets Act (DMA) the EU enacted in November. The new law prevents "gatekeepers" — businesses that control platforms where other companies operate — from locking clients and consumers into specific distribution channels or payment processors. The EU designed the legislation to stop Apple and Google from locking users into walled gardens.

However, the new European rules don't immediately go into effect. The EU won't formally apply them to companies like Apple or Google until the middle of 2023, and consequences for noncompliance wouldn't take effect until 2024. Therefore, Apple's changes might not arrive for a while.

Some businesses that operate heavily through iOS are already benefitting from the news. Spotify's stock price rose by one and a half percent today. The music-streaming service currently doesn't sell music directly through its iOS app because of Apple's 30 percent commission. Distributing the app outside the app store would circumvent this problem. The same could be true of services like Bandcamp or Kindle, potentially costing Apple a lot of money.

Apple previously confirmed it would obey another new EU regulation forcing phones sold after 2024 to support USB-C. As a result, a future iPhone model will switch to USB-C from Apple's proprietary lightning cables. Apple and Google have also opened up to third-party payment processors in response to South Korean and Denmark regulations.

It's unclear when or if Apple could allow third-party app downloads beyond the EU's jurisdiction. Lawmakers in the US previously proposed bills targeting Apple's and Google's control over mobile software, so something similar to the DMA could also force Apple's hand on the other side of the pond.

Permalink to story.

FINALLY we can enjoy all the malware that Android user's been enjoying! CAN'T WAIT.

Literally no one benefits from this besides app publishers. It's not for the benefit of the users, it's the exact opposite.

Wow. So there are people that actually believe in Apple's propaganda and those anti-consumer practices...

Learn how to properly install apps, and there won't be such thing as "all the malware", just like on your Macbook or PC or whatever that always allows sideloading. Used Android since Galaxy S and never affected by malware once.

FINALLY we can enjoy all the malware that Android user's been enjoying! CAN'T WAIT.

Literally no one benefits from this besides app publishers. It's not for the benefit of the users, it's the exact opposite.
As a user with more then 2 functional brain cells, I can think of many ways this benefits me. Being able to install apple that apple claims are naughty, like emulators or chat apps that dont work with apple, being able to get lower prices on big games, ece.

But I guess if you think everything you download is malware the concept of freedom would scare you.

"Fundamentally changing iOS as we know it" Perhaps adding a switch as an option, adding disclaimers, etc. And we all know the statement "For Export Only". This will be interesting.

Last edited:
More like "Apple prepares to drag it's feet and do as little as it thinks it can get away with for opening iOS".

But man, it'll be a great day when we're not required to go through the Apple store (which requires a stupid review for internal testing), or use another app to install a dev ipa. When all it takes is something (relatively) simple, like installing an apk on Android.
That'll remove sooo many headaches for people that just want to test an app, or let a team member test an app...

Stop blindly defending anti-consumer practices based on fake PR excuses. Nobody who sideloads worries about "malware" since this isn't a process that normal users know how to do.

It's about freaking time Apple allowed something this basic on their phones.

I wonder how normal users will find software? There won’t be a central place to go, there will be multiple app stores, multiple payment systems holding my credit card details (they’ll be a target for hackers). On an iPhone it’s not easy to browse the web for software due to screen size. The way software is presented will be inconsistent, some app stores will promote software they want as they won’t be scrutinised like a single place. And developers will have to create new deployment packages for each App Store which will increase their costs, our cost, time to deliver, lower security, and mean they need to use and learn new tooling from the each of the app stores.

Don’t get me wrong, as a user, when I get my new phone, I’m going to love downloading all the app stores and restoring my apps.

Personally, I prefer a single place to go.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks this decision won't impact security and privacy of users.
Apple ecosystem has advantages and disadvantages, and one of the main pros is that it has a "Hardened Security" which helps close most dangerous doors in which vulnerability comes, reduce potential threats, and malware attacks, and most importantly the user unwanted curiosity of installing unverified apps, whatever kinds of customization tools and other things that barely meets the security measures of apple's app store. Remember game apk mods? where this developer will publish this game that has in-app purchase options? Then this guy because he can sideload an app outside the play store, he'll modify the original apk and hack it, and there you go.. anyone now can bypass the in-app transactions and the developer will lose money because users won't pay, they found this "modified version" of the app that unlocks all the paid-only options.

Most users are not enthusiastic or developers who would like to try and experiment things, like experimental apps that perform some kind of hacking or illegal tasks which could eventually make you become a "pirate" or even destroy your phone if that app makes some experimental system customizations. 99% of iPhone users just want to use the phone and have fun. Don't tell me you want to install some hacking tool or modded app without developers authorization, that's a red flag.

Why do you even want to mess up with your phone? This device that can change your life forever, or, it can become a spy tool against you, a data harvesting machine that collects all your data, a place where malware from different sources hacks your documents, contacts, pictures and use them for against you.

Yes I know, not everyone is going to agree with me, because they want iOS to become more open and do what Android can do. That, I believe, will eventually happen... at the right time.

I wonder how normal users will find software? There won’t be a central place to go, there will be multiple app stores, multiple payment systems holding my credit card details (they’ll be a target for hackers).
So hold on, you think Apple are closing their own App store?
I respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks this decision won't impact security and privacy of users.
Apple ecosystem has advantages and disadvantages, and one of the main pros is that it has a "Hardened Security" which helps close most dangerous doors in which vulnerability comes, reduce potential threats, and malware attacks, and most importantly the user unwanted curiosity of installing unverified apps...
So again, just like the comment above you, do you think Apples App Store is closing? Because you also make it sound like the only way users are going to be able to get Apps is through "dirty third party app stores full of malware and pirates".

Apple ecosystem has advantages and disadvantages, and one of the main pros is that it has a "Hardened Security" which helps close most dangerous doors in which vulnerability comes, reduce potential threats, and malware attacks, and most importantly the user unwanted curiosity of installing unverified apps, whatever kinds of customization tools and other things that barely meets the security measures of apple's app store. Remember game apk mods? where this developer will publish this game that has in-app purchase options? Then this guy because he can sideload an app outside the play store, he'll modify the original apk and hack it, and there you go.. anyone now can bypass the in-app transactions and the developer will lose money because users won't pay, they found this "modified version" of the app that unlocks all the paid-only options.

Most users are not enthusiastic or developers who would like to try and experiment things, like experimental apps that perform some kind of hacking or illegal tasks which could eventually make you become a "pirate" or even destroy your phone if that app makes some experimental system customizations. 99% of iPhone users just want to use the phone and have fun. Don't tell me you want to install some hacking tool or modded app without developers authorization, that's a red flag.

Why do you even want to mess up with your phone? This device that can change your life forever, or, it can become a spy tool against you, a data harvesting machine that collects all your data, a place where malware from different sources hacks your documents, contacts, pictures and use them for against you.

Yes I know, not everyone is going to agree with me, because they want iOS to become more open and do what Android can do. That, I believe, will eventually happen... at the right time.

What you said makes no sense. You clearly don't know how apps are made and what they can do. The "experimental app" threats you mentioned are just movie fantasy.

If 99% of iphone users just want to use their phone then this won't change anything for them. But the 1% will rejoice for being "allowed" to fully use the phone they paid for. (FYI made-up percentages are not cool)

This is why Apple apologists are being made fun of. They have no clue wtf they are talking about. There is only one reason why Apple refused to allow this: money.

What you said makes no sense. You clearly don't know how apps are made and what they can do. The "experimental app" threats you mentioned are just movie fantasy.

If 99% of iphone users just want to use their phone then this won't change anything for them. But the 1% will rejoice for being "allowed" to fully use the phone they paid for. (FYI made-up percentages are not cool)

This is why Apple apologists are being made fun of. They have no clue wtf they are talking about. There is only one reason why Apple refused to allow this: money.
I experienced the piracy software party for years and it is not movie fantasies as you said, it is a reality check for all developers who work really hard on a game or an app, then those guys will come bypass the security and make another version of the same application publicly available, unlocked, modded and hacked for everything free, including the in-app purchases.
Since sideloading is here now, all of this easily possible and hackers couldn't be happier.
Digital books, apps, movies, games, protected content, pretty much everything.

I worked in xda developers forums for years and I know how it works. Clearly you don't even know what you're talking about.

And Yes, 99% of iPhone users will happily use their phones with the built-in features and customizations that works. Stop playing with your phone and use it for what's good.
You want more? then switch to another platform that allows those things, or even better, become a developer, or, participate in the "request a feature" poll.

Literally the worst comment I've read in a long time here. Definitely clueless about malware, how it works and just general usage of any kind of software, period.

I very much doubt Apple will allow sideloading without hindering it somehow. Being forced to have it also doesn't help.

I experienced the piracy software party for years and it is not movie fantasies as you said, it is a reality check for all developers who work really hard on a game or an app, then those guys will come bypass the security and make another version of the same application publicly available, unlocked, modded and hacked for everything free, including the in-app purchases.
Since sideloading is here now, all of this easily possible and hackers couldn't be happier.

I worked in xda developers forums for years and I know how it works. Clearly you don't even know what you're talking about.

And Yes, 99% of iPhone users will happily use their phones with the built-in features and customizations that works. Stop playing with your phone and use it for what's good.
You want more? then switch to another platform that allows those things, or even better, become a developer, or, participate in the "request a feature" poll.
you don't just make an app that bypasses the OS security. again you don't know wtf you are talking about (you've clearly never made a phone app). sideloading doesn't change anything since the apps still need to be compatible with the SDK and the APIs Apple provides.

the only thing that sideloading changes is that things that aren't allowed on the store (like in-app payment or, god forbid, a better browser engine) can be used. malware is not a concern for normal users since this is not something the 99% of the users that you describe (while using fake percentages) will use. and sideloading can't be forced, the user has to go through a lot of steps to allow such apps.

It's been a thing on Windows, Linux, MacOS and android since they were invented, developers still develop for all those platforms. You thinking this is the death of all games on the App Store is a movie fantasy.
You "worked" on the xda developer forums for years yet you're actively against side-loading on the iPhone? Right...
Do you hear yourself? It's my phone, I paid Apple a small fortune to own it. If I want to download and use an App on it, I should be allowed to without Apple deciding for me if it's ok or not.

You never answered me though, is Apple closing down it's App Store? Because we all know the answer is no, so for people like yourself who don't want iOS opened up, the changes literally won't affect you, or anyone else who likes how iOS currently operates. My girlfriend included. For me though, I can finally install things that can't make it to the App Store like Space Cadet pinball from Windows XP, A version of Floatplane that hasn't had everything ripped out just to make it onto the App Store, Fortnite can be installed. I can install an alternative App Store that doesn't take as big a cut so those devs get a bigger cut while still Auto-Updating the Apps etc...

Great stuff, now, the question is, how Apple will make it it unusable and how many years they will hinder using OS in a way it should be used (my device, my decision on how and what I do with it).
My main reason of using Android is that I can write and use my own applications without a worry or extra expenses.

People in NY can go see a production on Broadway - most don't but they love the idea
People in London can see a show in the West End or go to the Opera - Most don't they love the idea

Ie Apple opening this up - most people will love the idea they can sideload - most won't

Yes it means old phones can get a new life - sandboxed from your important stuff

Plus like old android devices - you have option to run apps , games that may not work now or on future phones .
Lots of things pulled by Apple as not updated or just for laughs - so could play old sentimental games

This is good and bad. That simple. I've enjoyed the mostly secure and closed ecosystem. I think this is a way for it to get exploited.

This is good and bad. That simple. I've enjoyed the mostly secure and closed ecosystem. I think this is a way for it to get exploited.
Exploits dont stop happening without sideloading. Stop fearmongering. It can be done already, it just requires a developer account and has time restrictions.

And if they find expolits, those can be patched. Security through obscurity is an AWFUL idea.

This is hilarious. "Oh no, its the end of the world, only 99% of iphone users will pay for our apps instead of 100%. Oh whatever will we do"

Careful, you clutch that pearl hard enough it'll shatter.

What "work" did you do "for years" on XDA that makes you think sideloading is about piracy and bypassing IAP?

Just curious. My experience with developing phone apps and XDA is completely different.

Don't install additional stores or sideload apps then....... stop acting like giving other folks choices affects the things you do.

Last edited:
Back