Apple removes all vaping-related apps from its App Store

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple has never allowed the sale of vaping cartridges through the App Store and stopped accepting new vaping apps in June. The apps that were removed today were instead a mix of games, store apps and companion apps that allowed users to adjust various aspects of their vaping hardware such as heating and lighting.

Apple on Friday removed all 181 vaping-related apps from its digital online marketplace following a string of vaping-related illnesses and deaths.

In a statement issued to Axios, Apple said they’ve also updated their App Store Review Guidelines to reflect that apps encouraging or facilitating the use of such products are not permitted. Users that have previously downloaded vape-related apps will still be able to use them, Apple said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently identified vitamin E acetate as a “chemical of concern” in the ongoing investigation into vaping-related illnesses and deaths.

Vitamin E acetate could have been added to products as a thickening agent, the CDC added. As of November 13, a total of 42 deaths have been confirmed in 24 states and the District of Columbia.

E-cigarette industry leader Juul earlier this month discontinued the sale of its mint-flavored vape products after it was found to be popular among teenage users.

Masthead credit: Vape pen by GrungeElfz

Permalink to story.

That's their prerogative, they're welcome to accept or deny apps of their choosing. There should have at least been an age restriction on such apps. However, I seriously doubt any of the apps were for illicit THC vaping (the cause of these lung-illnesses).

To repeat myself from another topic:

Evidence from the CDC:​
29 of 29 fluid samples from victims tested positive for Vitamin E Acetate.​
Pesticides found in illicit THC products.​
Vitamin E Acetate found in illicit THC products.​
ZERO contaminants found in e-cigarette products.​

Last edited:
It makes my brain hurt that everyone is all up in arms and going ape **** against Vaping because less than 100 people died because of vaping products ... most of witch were black market products.

Over 480,000 people in the US die because of Tobacco products. But they aren't going nuts about that.

Granted I am a firm believer everyone has the right to consume whatever they want...Let natural selection sort it out.

Last edited:
While I am an advocate of vaping as harm reduction for smokers, I'm not a fan of JUUL (aka Big Tobacco). However, JUUL did have one recent innovation to help curb youth vaping. It was an app tied to their new vapes which required age verification before it would allow a user to vape.

That's their prerogative, they're welcome to accept or deny apps of their choosing. There should have at least been an age restriction on such apps. However, I seriously doubt any of the apps were for illicit THC vaping (the cause of these lung-illnesses).
Its unreferenced statements like the one in bold above that render your credibility specious. How about a link to the CDC that says "we have determined the cause of vaping related illness to be only THC containing cartridges"?

Oh wait. You can't because the most recent update to the page posted November 14th, 2019 says this
What We Don't Know
  • While it appears that vitamin E acetate is associated with EVALI, evidence is not yet sufficient to rule out contribution of other chemicals of concern to EVALI. Many different substances and product sources are still under investigation, and it may be that there is more than one cause of this outbreak.

Its unreferenced statements like the one in bold above that render your credibility specious. How about a link to the CDC that says "we have determined the cause of vaping related illness to be only THC containing cartridges"?

Oh wait. You can't because the most recent update to the page posted November 14th, 2019 says this

If you look at each update they've provided. Not one lick of evidence has actually linked lung-illnesses to anything but illicit THC products. The only link to e-cigarettes has been patients afraid to admit a felony. Patient fluid samples found vitamin e acetate. Illicit THC oil cartridge samples found vitamin e acetate and pesticides. Eliquid samples found nothing.

Some facts that are ignored. Vitamin E Acetate is an oil. It's used to cut oil-soluble liquids. THC cartridges contain oils and are oil-soluble. Eliquid, aka e-cigarette products are water-soluble, they do not contain oils (beyond traces left over from natural flavor extraction which isn't a cause for concern).

The CDC is purposefully and actively confusing the public. I'll be surprised if multiple lawsuits aren't filed in the coming years.

To repeat myself from another topic:

Evidence from the CDC:​
29 of 29 fluid samples from victims tested positive for Vitamin E Acetate.​
Pesticides found in illicit THC products.​
Vitamin E Acetate found in illicit THC products.​
ZERO contaminants found in e-cigarette products.​
The cause was that *****s that compounded the THC liquids included Vitamin E Acetate, an anti-oxidant that someone presumed would extend the shelf life. Instead, it prevented absorption and other natural processes in the lungs as the oily liquid built up and would not break down, causing disease. These *****s should be imprisoned for life, if they're ever caught.

I don't even vape but I just don't like this. I feel like they think they know what's best for us and what choices we should make by taking away choices. They have every right to do it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

If you look at each update they've provided. Not one lick of evidence has actually linked lung-illnesses to anything but illicit THC products. The only link to e-cigarettes has been patients afraid to admit a felony. Patient fluid samples found vitamin e acetate. Illicit THC oil cartridge samples found vitamin e acetate and pesticides. Eliquid samples found nothing.

Some facts that are ignored. Vitamin E Acetate is an oil. It's used to cut oil-soluble liquids. THC cartridges contain oils and are oil-soluble. Eliquid, aka e-cigarette products are water-soluble, they do not contain oils (beyond traces left over from natural flavor extraction which isn't a cause for concern).

The CDC is purposefully and actively confusing the public. I'll be surprised if multiple lawsuits aren't filed in the coming years.
I've got a tinfoil hat for sale. Interested?

Legalize weed cartridges and REGULATE. It's the only way to beat the black market products people are buying off the streets!

Simply take the bitter pill and ban all smoking products. Regardless of the COUNTLESS arguments, there is not a single benefit from smoking or vaping, period. I'm a pipe and cigar smoker for most of my life and I challenge anyone to produce EVIDENCE supporting health benefits of smoking. Don't give me your jaded opinions or foolish "some guy told me" junk. Produce the evidence and submit it to a peer group for analysis. If you CHOOSE to smoke and take the risks, be adult enough to admit that but don't waste people's time with those empty opinions. I smoke because it was a learned habit that I now get some enjoyment from but won't argue that it's harmful.

If it could be proven it already would have been again and again ..... think about it.

It makes my brain hurt that everyone is all up in arms and going ape **** against Vaping because less than 100 people died because of vaping products ... most of witch were black market products.

Over 480,000 people in the US die because of Tobacco products. But they aren't going nuts about that.

Granted I am a firm believer everyone has the right to consume whatever they want...Let natural selection sort it out.

That's because the FEDERAL & STATE governments make a TON of money in taxes off of tobacco, but not as much on vaping products ;)

Its interesting how this happens ONLY in US while there are millions of vape users all around the world.

Its interesting how this happens ONLY in US while there are millions of vape users all around the world.
Also interesting: What's the probability that a product that's been on the market for 12 years will suddenly start killing people at the exact time tainted THC cartridges hit the black market and start killing people?

Back