Apple says goodbye to design chief Jony Ive after 30 years

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: Long-time Apple design chief Jony Ive will be leaving the tech giant to pursue his dreams. The mind behind the innovation of many of the company's products, including the iPod, iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad, will be leaving to start his own design startup.

Apple announced on Thursday that its long-time Chief Design Officer Sir Jonathan Ive (better known as Jony Ive) will be leaving the company to start his own design firm called "LoveFrom." One of his first clients will be his former employer, so it will almost be like he never left.

“Jony is a singular figure in the design world and his role in Apple’s revival cannot be overstated,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “Apple will continue to benefit from Jony’s talents by working directly with him on exclusive projects … After so many years working closely together, I’m happy that our relationship continues to evolve, and I look forward to working with Jony long into the future.”

"I am most proud of the lasting work we have done to create a design team, process and culture at Apple that is without peer."

On his departure, design team leaders Evans Hankey, VP of Industrial Design, and Alan Dye, VP of Human Interface Design, will report to Apple’s COO Jeff Williams. Williams, who has headed up the development of the Apple Watch from the beginning, will be working more closely with Hankey, Dye, and the rest of the design team in Ive's stead.

Ive has been with Apple for almost 30 years, starting as a designer in 1992 and being elevated to Senior Vice President of Industrial Design in 1997. Working closely with Steve Jobs, Ive was instrumental in reviving the Apple brand and was promoted by Tim Cook to Chief Design Officer in 2015.

“After nearly 30 years and countless projects, I am most proud of the lasting work we have done to create a design team, process and culture at Apple that is without peer,” said Ive. “The team will certainly thrive under the excellent leadership of Evans, Alan, and Jeff, who have been among my closest collaborators.”

Apple’s design team has won numerous awards including being named Best Design Studio of the past 50 years by Design and Art Direction in 2012. Ive will no doubt achieve great success in his new venture, and we wish him the best.

Permalink to story.

When I hear his name, all that comes to mind is the jittery awe he was trying to impress when sharing his genius behind the trash can. Good-bye, Mr. Trash Can, we will miss you! (maybe).

Apple, like many companies that have a BIG run up (iPhone), now has become "big"...sometimes when
they get so successful, the bean counters take over, and, become stuck in the mud. Innovation takes
a back seat to shaving the costs to boost stock prices. Apples needs to get back to its roots to innovate.
Pumping out basically the same thing year after year, with marginal improvements isn't going to cut it.
People are holding onto their computers, phones longer, because the prices are going up and up, and for what? Benchmark programs? Yeah, people that use the bleeding edge will see an improvement, but for the majority, last years "next best thing" is fast enough.

I love that they're his first client, basically meaning "Hey, you've gotta now basically pay me 5x what you were paying before, and honestly most of the work will be done by a grad on £25k a year. Enjoy!"

Did he inherit SJ polonecks ? both physically, emotionally . Is he a Tortoise or a Giraffe. And hey, no mention of the vulgar . His shares are worth £(x),xxx,xxx,xxx.xx

One man does the but takes 3 to replace. Better hope Ive taught them well but I doubt he taught them everything.
Good luck to both Ive and Apple. In 5 yrs Apple will ask him to come back lol

I doubt it will take 5 years, in fact I'm betting they are already trying to get him to change his mind; but now he will have the freedom to pursue projects that Apple poo poo'd and in the end Apple will buy them up at a higher cost ......

This is the nail in the Apple innovation coffin. We had a feeling it was already dead, but now it is officially so. RIP Apple innovation.

One man does the job but takes 3 to replace. Better hope Ive taught them well but I doubt he taught them everything...
That means he worked a lot. where I work it happens the same with the good ppl who actually spend at least 6 hours with work out of 7 (we work 35 a week because we have one hour of lunch time). And when he/she leaves we hire at least 3 ppl and spread across his/her work across 5-6 ppl for balancing...hehe so we are paying 4 times more for 2 extra person just because yea sure it's a lot, but can be done in 6 hours a day work. Not to mention when are on a work trip 3 person instead of 1. Eventually they will see that the yearly bonus will be halved and will sack ppl anyway. Only thing they have to do to hire the person who wants to to do quality work and just the lump sum

So is he the one that cursed the world with notches?
Yep. I really wonder who is actually going to hire such "designer" ....
1. Apple introduces iPhone X in 2017 with a notch (nobody noticed that no consumer phone existed till this day with 'notch' in other words, trying to use every inch of the phone on the front)
2. Early 2018 *ppl criticise Apple for the notch* phones start to appear with notches, Google Start supporting it. (Still nobody takes a **** about what technology they have in that small notch, no consumer competitor to FaceID)
3. Late 2018 numerous phones (including Google Pixel) use notch or punch hole camera design
4. Early 2019 OPPO shows the camera under the display, yet ppl complaining about the notch with faceID yet no competitor

Have you ever considered to check out an iFixit article about a phone? what tech it has?

Back