Apple support

princeton

Hi,

So my ipod touch went through the washing machine. So I asked apple if it was covered by warranty and if it wasn't if there was a way to get it fixed somewhere. I got an email reply saying

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that this has occurred. Don't worry. I assure you, buying a new one will solve your issue.

WHAT THE ****? If someone working for me said that to a customer I'd fire them on the spot. Is this how apple typically responds to their customers?

AT&T Support

With the economy being in the dump, more and more service groups are making obscene suggestions.

I lost cell service from my home and yet went just a few blocks to the market and it worked
fine. Went to the local AT&T retail store to report it and here's what happened
1) your contract has lapsed and you need to renew it (bs. I've been on month/month for several years!)
2) your phone is too old and needs to be replaced (huh? just told you it works everwhere else!)
3) I made a cell call while standing there (I told you it worked :) )
4) your SIM card needs to be replaced (did you notice the phone works fine?)
5) finally he said he would enter a service report on the cell tower​
Ten minutes after returning home, the service availability was restored

Hi,

So my ipod touch went through the washing machine. So I asked apple if it was covered by warranty and if it wasn't if there was a way to get it fixed somewhere. I got an email reply saying

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that this has occurred. Don't worry. I assure you, buying a new one will solve your issue.

WHAT THE ****? If someone working for me said that to a customer I'd fire them on the spot. Is this how apple typically responds to their customers?
I'm not sure why you find this surprising. First, putting the phone in the washer voids the warranty, big time.

Second, the more you miniaturize electronics, the more they become impossible to fix, certainly by convention bench technicians.

When I pointed this fact out, in reference to what I perceive as the potential inability to perform repairs on the new Macbook "Air", I was told those views are rather immaterial, provincial, and that shouldn't have any bearing on whether an individual should be willing to buy it. So be it. Apple's telling you, what I already knew, that by and large, conventional bench repair of electronics is pretty much a dead art, and even rather expensive pieces of electronics might be considered expendable.

I suppose that, "deal with it" is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is the philosophy I use when I buy electronics. For example, I won't pay more than $300.00 for a laptop, and I won't buy a cell phone period, iPhone or otherwise.

I'm sure we all understand how easy it is to forget to check the pockets and after we
discover the object when extracting from the wash or the dryer, it's an OMG moment.
I ruined a brand new dress shirt by ignoring the ink pen :(

The OP's comment is directed at the callous nature of the support person's response
and total lack of empathy - - in the least, he/she could have cracked a joke and giggled
and then said "Gee, I'm sorry you had that experience".

I'm sure we all understand how easy it is to forget to check the pockets and after we
discover the object when extracting from the wash or the dryer, it's an OMG moment.
I ruined a brand new dress shirt by ignoring the ink pen :(

The OP's comment is directed at the callous nature of the support person's response
and total lack of empathy - - in the least, he/she could have cracked a joke and giggled
and then said "Gee, I'm sorry you had that experience".
I appreciate that. Like the song goes, "a teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down". I'm still loving the panache of Apple's CS. BTW, did you know that Apple's customer service is very highly rated? That said, I'd hate to hear what the other guy's CS would have had to say. :rolleyes: .

Back