Apple Watch might soon get built-in sleep tracking

nanoguy

Staff member
Rumor mill: Apple may have found a way to provide Watch sleep tracking without a big penalty on battery life and is expected to showcase the feature at its upcoming event on September 10.

Apple will be adding sleep tracking to the Apple Watch lineup as soon as next week according to a new report from 9to5Mac. Ever since Apple bought sleep tracking company Beddit, there's been plenty of speculation that this would make its way into watches, especially since it's one of the areas where it lags behind even some low end wearables from competitors like Fitbit.

While you can already enable basic sleep tracking with third-party apps like AutoSleep Tracker and Pillow, the new feature -- codenamed Burrito -- is said to combine a number of factors like movement, heart rate, and noises to provide a more accurate assessment of your sleep quality. It will be found on the Apple Watch as "Time in Bed tracking" and will allow users with multiple Watches to set one as the preferred device for the feature.

Data about users' sleep quality will be available in the Health app as well as a new, dedicated Sleep app and a complication for quick glancing at the sleep stats. The latter will presumably remind users to charge their device before going to sleep as a way to ensure it will last through the night. Naturally, Apple will also add some fine details like stopping an alarm if you wake up before it goes off, as well as providing options for a more gentle wake-up by only vibrating the Watch.

The feature reportedly requires no special hardware like that found in the Watch Series 4, but we'll have to wait for the official announcement to see if it will be made available on older models. Even though Apple Watch is leading the smartwatch segment, sleep tracking will likely affect its already short battery life. In any case, Apple is expected to unveil new ceramic and titanium Watches next week along with watchOS 6.

Permalink to story.

A real game changer would be if diabetics could get am implant (from a doctor) that could sync up with an Applewatch to automatically read blood sugar so that the blood test kit industry could die.

Unfortunately there is a lot less money to be made if that were to happen. I'm sure those companies would quickly write Apple a check to pause that feature indefinitely. Capitalism isn't a system that cares about the greater good, the number one goal is making money.

Put yourself in Apple's shoes, you are going to make whichever decisions make your shareholders the most money.

It's kinda all pointing toward AW5 having much better battery life than older gens.
IMHO Apple did not implement this feature before, because the battery life of AW is simply baaaaaaaaaaad.

Interesting....My Samsung G3 Frontier already has sleep tracking. I use it every night.
And, I get 3-4 days of battery life. What's the big deal??
I would though, love to have the EKG thingy, but I hear that's coming maybe this or next
year.

Interesting....My Samsung G3 Frontier already has sleep tracking. I use it every night.
And, I get 3-4 days of battery life. What's the big deal??
I would though, love to have the EKG thingy, but I hear that's coming maybe this or next
year.
EKG on smartwatch is totaly useless and inaccurate feature.
No matter what watch you chose, it will never work.

Explain why Apple's is ok'd by the FDA? And, has proven itself to work?
Explain why do you believe that? Many medical professionals already explained why it won't ever work, even heart rate measurement on many smartwatches, including Apple ones, are not even close to reality.
Believe and you will be healed ...

Back