Apple Watch Series 7 rumored with a flat-edged case, larger display sizes

nanoguy

Staff member
Rumor mill: The Apple Watch is set for a major redesign with the upcoming Series 7, as the company is looking to bring the aesthetics more in line with the current iPhone and iPad lineups. It probably won't be the most impressive Apple Watch yet, but a bigger display and improved battery life should make for a good upgrade path for people stuck on a Series 3 or older model.

September is shaping up to be a busy month for Apple, with a slew of hardware announcements expected to take place on a tighter schedule than usual. One of these is the Apple Watch Series 7, which is said to come with an updated display, faster internals, and much-improved wireless connectivity.

While many no doubt have been waiting for a major health upgrade in the form of a body temperature sensor and a blood sugar sensor, both features are said to have been delayed for future versions of the Apple Watch. Instead, the biggest changes this year are an updated design and a larger screen.

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, this year's Apple Watch will feature a flatter design with more squared-off edges and thinner display bezels, as well as more color options. Gurman also corroborates what a number of leakers have been saying this month about an increase in size associated with the redesign. Apparently, the Apple Watch Series 7 will come in 41mm and 45mm sizes, which will accommodate a new set of watch faces, including a new Infograph Modular Face.

When Apple last changed the display size with the introduction of the Apple Watch 4, most of the new faces it introduced didn't make it to the older watches, which could also be the case this time around. In any case, the redesign would bring the new Apple Watch more in line with the new aesthetic of iPhone and iPad, both of which sport a flat design akin to the old iPhone 5.

More importantly, the larger case size will accommodate a slightly bigger battery, which along with a more efficient S7 chipset is expected to result improved battery life. Based on past launch dates, we'll probably see an official reveal on September 14, or the week after that.

Permalink to story.

I charge my Apple Watch every night but it lasts about 2 days on one charge. I don’t really need a better battery on it unless they can make it last weeks or so as it’s just easier to get into the routine of charging it daily.

What they should add is a camera, I’d love some video calls on my wrist on the move.

I charge my Apple Watch every night but it lasts about 2 days on one charge. I don’t really need a better battery on it unless they can make it last weeks or so as it’s just easier to get into the routine of charging it daily.

What they should add is a camera, I’d love some video calls on my wrist on the move.

which series?

My applewatch 1 needed daily recharge.
My applewatch 2 could last close to 2 days.
My applewatch 6 is at 35% by the day's end and needs to be recharged nightly.

which series?

Series 4. I find it depends on how much I use it, if I make calls on it, spend a lot of time listening to music and using it to control music etc then Itl be about 30-40% battery life left at the end of the day. But if I don’t do any of that it can often be 70% left in it at the end of the day.

I’m guessing you use the always on display? Something I wish mine had, although it is a challenge to try and look at the watch without the screen coming on!

which series?

My apple watch 6 only needs to be charged every other day. It's usually around 10% when I'm getting ready for bed on the 2nd day.

Last edited:
I have 2 AW6's, both go typically 2 days, I use one for sports/activities, other for dress. Even with a 1 hour outdoor run, 1 hour of lap swimming, I can get more than a day out of the sport one. Both are LTE and I always have GPS and Music running on my runs. Rarely ever carry my phone anymore.

I don't like the flat edges, at all. I don't like flat.

which series?

Do you use AOD? that cuts battery life, obviously.
I had a Samsung Gear 3 Frontier, 3 years old and was still getting 3 1/2 days battery life.
The only time it was powered off, was from the time I got home from work, until I went to bed
around 10pm. I disabled the rotate your wrist to wake it up since I do a lot of work with tools
and it was waking up constantly. I also disabled the tap to wake.
I had it set to check my heart rate every 10 minutes, along with bluetooth on all the time.
I've since upgraded to the Galaxy 3 watch and get about the same battery life with it.

To me, a bigger battery is always welcome, but above all, the thing that is keeping me away from Apple Watch is the miserable battery life. We are talking about a watch that last round about 1 to 1.5 days. So if one forgets to charge it after a day, then good luck trying to use it the next day.

Need to sort the battery life out at some stage.

I have had a couple of Apple Watches now but returned/sold them as the battery life is just bad. If you want to use for sleep tracking or silent alarms (vibrate) in the morning, its a pain having to keep charging. Also if you run every day, I had to charge during the day too.

Ended up with a Garmin Fenix 6. Get 10 days of battery life with always on display. I don't "talk" to my watch, so getting notifications of texts/calls is fine for me, but not having to think about battery life is amazing.

My Fitbit Versa2 lasts a week...!

Need to sort the battery life out at some stage.

I have had a couple of Apple Watches now but returned/sold them as the battery life is just bad. If you want to use for sleep tracking or silent alarms (vibrate) in the morning, its a pain having to keep charging. Also if you run every day, I had to charge during the day too.

Ended up with a Garmin Fenix 6. Get 10 days of battery life with always on display. I don't "talk" to my watch, so getting notifications of texts/calls is fine for me, but not having to think about battery life is amazing.
I tried several Garmin's, including the Fenix. Man they are buggy, and the HR sensor sucks. I do talk to my watch and also answer calls on it. It's awesome.

Back