Apple working on car crash detection feature that'll automatically dial 911

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple is working on an iPhone feature that will dial 911 automatically in the event you are in an auto accident. Sources familiar with the matter provided documents to The Wall Street Journal detailing the feature, tentatively called “crash detection” for iPhones and the Apple Watch. It’ll use data from sensors built into the devices such as the accelerometer to detect sudden changes in g forces, like those that occur upon impact.

Apple is no stranger to using sensors in this manner. A couple of years back, the company rolled out a fall detection feature for its smartwatch designed to detect if its wearer has fallen and alert first responders if the wearer doesn’t respond to a notification asking if they are alright. Another feature that debuted in iOS 15 assesses how steady a user is when walking.

Documents viewed by The Wall Street Journal suggest Apple has been testing its crash-detection feature over the past year by collecting data shared anonymously from Apple Watch and iPhone users. According to the WSJ, the feature has already detected more than 10 million suspected crashes and called 911 roughly 50,000 times.

Apple wouldn’t be the first to market with such a feature. Google rolled out a similar feature with its Pixel smartphone in 2019 and General Motors has offered related functionality through its OnStar service since the mid-90s.

Sources said Apple’s rollout timing could change, or that the feature could be scrapped entirely, so don't be surprised if it's slow to materialize or never shows up at all.

Image credit Michael Fortsch, David Svihovec

Permalink to story.

The fall detection thing is actually quite good. Me and some friends spent some time trying to trigger it when I got an Apple Watch a few years ago. In the end the only thing that worked was jumping off my balcony onto a mattress and being rugby tackled on the beach. But this is good, if it dialled emergency services every time you launched yourself onto the sofa for example you’d just turn it off permanently.

Similar to bugler alarms enough false positives will make 911 operators and police reluctant to follow up on these calls. I would hope that would not happen, but over time it's been the case again and again ....

Similar to bugler alarms enough false positives will make 911 operators and police reluctant to follow up on these calls. I would hope that would not happen, but over time it's been the case again and again ....
I have to agree.

Also, the "auto-dial 911" feature is built into some new cars by default, or through something like "On-Star", if Air bags are deployed - is it not? As I see it, this makes Apple a bit late to the game.

I have to agree.

Also, the "auto-dial 911" feature is built into some new cars by default, or through something like "On-Star", if Air bags are deployed - is it not? As I see it, this makes Apple a bit late to the game.
My 2018 Accord can do this. It will make a call with paired Android or Iphone if the airbags are deployed.

I have to agree.

GM on star does exactly this, and has the advantage of being linked tothe CAN BUS, so it can see fi the airbags have been deployed or a collision has been detected instead of relying on a phone being thrown.

This is jsut another silicon valley company tryign to re invent the wheel.
My 2018 Accord can do this. It will make a call with paired Android or Iphone if the airbags are deployed.
2018? Bro GM was selling on star on cadillacs in 1996! Apple is so far behind here that I expect them to announce NeXT later this week.

Considering how smartphones have integrated features with many cars today, whether it be connected with Android Auto/Apple Carplay, or dedicated manufacturer apps, it wouldn't be hard for the Car to signal whether an accident has occurred to a device and if you don't, for example, respond to the notification on the phone (or car screen) it could then connect to emergency services.

In addition to Onstar, which is a system that many have heard of, Mercede-Benz's have done this since 2010, built into the car without the need for either phone or app: https://www.daimler.com/innovation/case/shared-services/mercedes-benz-emergency-call.html

BMW also has a similar platform called Intelligent Emergency Call, Audi SOS Emergency Call, etc, and I think every car manufactured/sold for the EU market since the late 2010s requires this capability.

Back