Apple's 4th generation iPhone leaked, gets hands-on review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

The blogosphere was abuzz with iPhone 4G rumors over the weekend after Engadget posted photos of what it claims is the next-generation model of Apple's smartphone. Now, the handset itself has fallen into the hands of Gizmodo, which has posted a review complete with videos and photos as well as a detailed list of changes from the 3GS model. Indeed it appears to be the real thing -- somebody at Apple is in big trouble.

New features include a front-facing video camera for mobile chats, a camera flash and higher resolution back-camera, a second microphone for noise cancellation, and an improved display on the phone that will stretch to 960 pixels, which is almost double the screen resolution of the current iPhone 3GS. The case is thinner with an aluminum border and the back of the device is completely flat with a material made either of glass or "shiny plastic" to improve reception.

The person who found the phone -- supposedly on the floor of a Redwood City bar inside of an iPhone 3G case -- said it was running iPhone OS 4.0 but Apple "remotely killed" it. The device cannot be restored because each firmware is device specific, and there are no publicly available firmware versions for Apple's next-generation iPhone yet.

Permalink to story.

Well, if there are any mysterious deaths/suicides in the next couple of days, we'll know why.

I really hope this phone supports Verizon's network here in the US. I love my current iPhone 3G but I'm fed up with the terrible reception I get with AT&T. I'm actually planning to unlock my iPhone and switch over once my contract is up this summer, but this would be a great excuse to upgrade my phone.

I want to see how much of this flows into the touch :) as i won't be getting the phone in any case.

I am actually pretty tired of my current iPhone (3G) and I have no intentions of buying the new one. When I am finally going to buy a new phone I think it will be a HTC.

Ugh, that looks pretty ugly compared to the 3G/3GS, more brick-like. But probably less easy to slip out of your hands and drop though.

I hate all this Apple secrecy BS, who cares if the phone is leaked early? No doubt heads will roll (perhaps literally) over this.

The design looks like crap. The shape doesn't seem very ergonomic. Hope this is not the real thing.

someone somewhere is in pain over this, most likely being i-tortured into submission. good times

"I wonder if they are going to give it back to Apple. "

Apple won't even admit it is an iPhone let alone validate this as the new one...

maybe apple did this on purpose to see what everyone had to say xD.

but yea from what ive read they are planning to give it back.

Good thing I didn't buy one of those itouch I see Apple has replacement batteries one selling for $169 fo 8GB. But to me these devices are missing a Camera or Web Cam. Good to have though.

You do realize; that even if the iPhone went to VZW you could NOT use any iPhone that is currently on the market right? the iPhone is built and designed for ATT which uses GSM. VZW uses CDMA. Both are two totally different networks in terms of the network and technology behind them. Otherwise the iPhone would already be unlocked and used on VZW but only unlocking it is going to give you is access to TMO USA and EDGE services.

"Unlocking it is going to give you is access to TMO USA and EDGE services."

ONLY TMO's EDGE since TMO's 3G uses a different frequency from that of AT&T's 3G support. To be usable as 3G on TMO, the iPhone 4G needs to support both the AT&T and TMO Frequencies (both networks use the same frequency for the 2G EDGE support so an unlocked iPhone supports TMO EDGE.

PanicX said:
I really hope this phone supports Verizon's network here in the US...

Apple making a CDMA version of the phone? Possible. But would you *really* want the first version of that phone? AT&T had to explain to Apple how to fix their software on the 3rd iteration. I would expect them to make the same mistakes with Verizon as well. IMHO Apple has established a trend of releasing too early and fixing mistakes by the 3rd generation of a product line.

how could gizmodo leak the 4g without apple knowing? unless apple was trying to keep it hush hush and suprise everyone well to late now. According to the rumor it was found on a floor at a redwood city bar inside a concealed 3gcase gizmodo claims it was running on 0s 4.0 operating system and has double the res.

further more how much will it cost me to updrade from my 3gs model when it hits stores? and what carrier should i switch to if any im currently with at&t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back