Apple's advertising growth appears to have tripled since instituting App Tracking Transparency...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Facebook predicted that there would be an "adocalypse" after Apple began enforcing its App Tracking Transparency earlier this year. I don't know if that's actually been the case since ad-supported apps still pound me with advertisements that seem no different than before. However, one analyst firm says Apple has greatly benefitted from the new ATT rules.

Apple's on-device advertising platform, Search Ads, reserves spots at the top of App Store queries for developers to advertise their apps in relevant search results. For example, when searching for Telegram, a user may encounter a paid Twitter banner at the top of the results page (below).

The Financial Times notes that data from mobile marketing analysis firm Branch indicates Apple's mobile advertising market share has tripled over the last year. Search Ads only held a measly 17 percent of the iPhone advertising market a year ago. As of last month, it commands a majority share of 58 percent, with most of that growth coming in the previous six months.

"It's like Apple Search Ads has gone from playing in the minor leagues to winning the World Series in the span of half a year," said Branch Product Marketing Head Alex Bauer.

Analyst group Evercore ISI predicts that Apple's advertising platform is likely to clear $5 billion in fiscal year 2021. Researchers see growth over the next three years, reaching $20 billion annually.

"[Apple's privacy push] significantly altered the landscape," Evercore reported.

Apple began requiring developers to ask users for permission to gather and use their data for ad targeting earlier this year, after a nearly four month delay. As expected, many users have opted out of tracking on most apps. As a result, Facebook's "Audience Network" and Google Ads were severely hobbled when users began denying permissions to track.

The Financial Times suggests that this mass exodus is what led to Apple's ballooning advertising growth. However, this might be a bit overstated. For one, Apple's Search Ads platform is an exclusive feature of the App Store and does not engage in first-party advertising within its apps.

Additionally, analyst Eric Seufert points out that the data Branch used in its analysis excludes gaming apps, a dominant subsector of the broader app market. He mentions that Branch only looked at "mobile app install ads spending and not mobile web ads spending," which further skews the analysis. Also, the actual values used in the study are unknown.

"This data is presented as a percentage of total attributed installs," Seufert said. "Given that these figures are percentages and not absolute values, the total market size of iOS installs is a relevant consideration which is omitted here, ie. if the total market shrank, Apple's increased share might not be indicative of increased revenue or scale."

Seufert said that without solid numbers, it is hard to put the study into context. In other words, Apple's advertising growth came at least in part because of an overall market shrinkage caused by the new transparency rules.

Indeed, several mobile advertisers have adjusted their advertising budgets in favor of the Android platform. Analysts at Singular say that advertising between Android and iPhone markets was split nearly 50/50 toward the beginning of 2021. As of June, advertising dollars spent now favor Android 70.3 percent to 29.7 percent.

So, it is hard to determine how much of Search Ads tripling go market share was actual growth without knowing the absolute values used to calculate those percentages.

Permalink to story.

So we are all clear, apple requires apps to ask permission for third party (such as cross app) tracking by advertisers like facebook, but apps don’t need to ask user permission if using Apple’s ad tracking service because Apple says it is “first party” because it is in iOS.

Apple is strong arming developers who want cross-app ad tracking to use their service and they used user permissions and app store policy to do it.

This is not about privacy, its about funnelling ad money to apple.

So we are all clear, apple requires apps to ask permission for third party (such as cross app) tracking by advertisers like facebook, but apps don’t need to ask user permission if using Apple’s ad tracking service because Apple says it is “first party” because it is in iOS.

Apple is strong arming developers who want cross-app ad tracking to use their service and they used user permissions and app store policy to do it.

It can be both!

In the short-term, Apple wins here because they have such a massive gain in the market share (doing exactly what you said). Even if the size of the market is smaller -- it's hard to imagine that it's shrank so much as to negate the increase in marketshare.

But, in the long-run, it's easy to see their absolute size growing at a slower pace (think Apple in the 80's and 90's!). This is a serious problem for Apple even if they continue to avoid their own privacy protections. [Key point: "their problem" -- these privacy notifications are a great first step for consumers!].

What are you trying to say? Android/Google is far worse. There's tons of apps in Play Store with built in tracking (information is sold).

Google tracks you way more than Apple, the question is, do you care? I don't..

What are you trying to say? Android/Google is far worse. There's tons of apps in Play Store with built in tracking (information is sold).

The difference would be that Google is up front about that, whereas Apple has spent the past few years talking the privacy talk whilst quietly doing the opposite. Remember this?

apple-privacy-ad-100784598-orig-3.jpg

Meanwhile they were developing the technology to scan every photo on your phone and uploaded to iCloud, and report CP based on an algorithm. 'We don't want third parties tracking our customers because we value privacy', when their own ad network benefits from the monopoly it created for Apple's own tracking services. They all do it, but Apple is particularly two-faced about it.

The difference would be that Google is up front about that, whereas Apple has spent the past few years talking the privacy talk whilst quietly doing the opposite. Remember this?

apple-privacy-ad-100784598-orig-3.jpg

Meanwhile they were developing the technology to scan every photo on your phone and uploaded to iCloud, and report CP based on an algorithm. 'We don't want third parties tracking our customers because we value privacy', when their own ad network benefits from the monopoly it created for Apple's own tracking services. They all do it, but Apple is particularly two-faced about it.
Google is not upfront with anything, just like Apple. Stop using a phone if you have something to hide, would be the easy way.

There's tons of way to get compromised on an Android unit and way more unsecure apps in play store than app store.

If you sideload apps on android + root then you are even more exposed. I have seen android phones hijacked with 1:1 screencapture + camera access tons of times, from unknowing people who just installed some random apk file they downloaded, even on a stock device.

This article is about Apple and their action isn’t just using their platform control to muscle out competitors in the advertising space (they’ve done that with books, music etc). This time they deceived consumers into believing they are made aware of third party tracking and provided the option to avoid it, without knowing that they can be tracked by apple in the same way and not given the same opt-out option.

This isn’t about google, but the closest google equivalent would be to block tracking for chrome users except still track them using the browser and provide that targeting to google ad customers.

Wrong - if you are an Apple owner - Apple knows about everything you do on your phone -Everything they track and scan it all .
It's a laugh when people scream about M/S collection on a PC - it's only 1% of what Apple does - It knows every apple pay - it knows every email, photo, video, click .
You saw the YT video - Google wants to know to target adverts .
Apple wants to know you - to target everything you do - to get a cut in every dollar you spend - to control you. What you can use and see . To give your info if chinese to chinese govts - to spy on you for the police * govt .
Apple controls your feed - what apps you see etc . Why do you think they make you sign away your rights and keep you in a walled garden.
Your privacy is an illusion - Why do you think security do not want the POTUS to have an iphone ?- because they spy on everything you do .

Google spies - but they have no where the relentless obsession of Apple.
Apple doesn't need to do make market research on it's users - as it knows everything they do and post via themselves
They will have lots of info from the people themselves about how to price phones - reading your emails , your Icloud data they own .

It was a laugh when people were cheering Apple on over FB and Google - Google probably does buy the data Apple has you - they market it to all their advertisers . We won't let THEM see it , but we will sell them your profile for lots of money .
You can have Android free of google to a certain extent .

With Apple maybe - if you just use the phone - wouldn't be surprised they want your voice data - If they can do it - they will take it .
The main reason for Apple's secrecy is not for competition reasons - it's to control image and that it each seeks maximum exploitation of it's buyers

I just laugh when I see Apple users say if it's free - you are the product.
Apple give you nothing for free - they know their base models have too little memory - they do it on purpose . As the battery improves - they make it smaller - every time .

Every app they remove is to protect you.
When they remove Iphone size choices - they do it to protect you .

Thankfully in countries outside the USA - Apple are more limited as people have rights . So most of the datamining will be in The USA, China and all the other countries lacking basic protections

Wrong - if you are an Apple owner - Apple knows about everything you do on your phone -Everything they track and scan it all .
It's a laugh when people scream about M/S collection on a PC - it's only 1% of what Apple does - It knows every apple pay - it knows every email, photo, video, click .
You saw the YT video - Google wants to know to target adverts .
Apple wants to know you - to target everything you do - to get a cut in every dollar you spend - to control you. What you can use and see . To give your info if chinese to chinese govts - to spy on you for the police * govt .
Apple controls your feed - what apps you see etc . Why do you think they make you sign away your rights and keep you in a walled garden.
Your privacy is an illusion - Why do you think security do not want the POTUS to have an iphone ?- because they spy on everything you do .

Google spies - but they have no where the relentless obsession of Apple.
Apple doesn't need to do make market research on it's users - as it knows everything they do and post via themselves
They will have lots of info from the people themselves about how to price phones - reading your emails , your Icloud data they own .

It was a laugh when people were cheering Apple on over FB and Google - Google probably does buy the data Apple has you - they market it to all their advertisers . We won't let THEM see it , but we will sell them your profile for lots of money .
You can have Android free of google to a certain extent .

With Apple maybe - if you just use the phone - wouldn't be surprised they want your voice data - If they can do it - they will take it .
The main reason for Apple's secrecy is not for competition reasons - it's to control image and that it each seeks maximum exploitation of it's buyers

I just laugh when I see Apple users say if it's free - you are the product.
Apple give you nothing for free - they know their base models have too little memory - they do it on purpose . As the battery improves - they make it smaller - every time .

Every app they remove is to protect you.
When they remove Iphone size choices - they do it to protect you .

Thankfully in countries outside the USA - Apple are more limited as people have rights . So most of the datamining will be in The USA, China and all the other countries lacking basic protections

Facebook and Google tracks you far more than Apple does, because IT'S WHAT THEY DO. Apple earns money on hardware and services. Google and Facebook earns money on information, which is sold to 3rd party. And Play Store has tons of insecure apps because Google cares about numbers over quality. Pretty much all multiplat apps run better on Apple, because they are optimized, WHY? Because developers know exactly what hardware to code for - Android phones has 1000's of different configurations, which is why it's a wonky experience most of the time.

Android will always be the least secure platform and bugs are rarely fixed. Most Android phones barely gets 1 year of support from the manufacturer, meanwhile Apple supports their phones 5+ years.

When iOS have bugs, they are fixed within days, because millions of people are affected and Apple only have few phones, meaning fixing them is easy. Same software on all.

When Android phones have bugs, the manufacturer ignores them and release a new model and the old model is sold for 50-75% OFF. Thats why Android phone price plummets after 6-12 months. Sad bue true. Apple devices maintain their price way better and can actually be sold instead of collecting dust.

Last edited:
Android will always be the least secure platform and bugs are rarely fixed. Most Android phones barely gets 1 year of support from the manufacturer, meanwhile Apple supports their phones 5+ years.

When iOS have bugs, they are fixed within days, because millions of people are affected and Apple only have few phones, meaning fixing them is easy. Same software on all.

Android is considered a secure platform and it should be because it's by far the most used mobile OS in the world. Google is also pretty bullish when it comes to fixing bugs, see stuff like Project Zero. Apple on the other hand lately has been criticized a lot because of their lackluster communication/inaction/bounty program when it comes to security issues.

You should also consider that parts of Android can be patched through Play Services which are independent of manufacturer updates. Ultimately, there are a lot of things that can be done to make Android safer (especially on cheap phones) but it's not as dire as you say. I use an iPhone 12 mini as my daily driver by the way.

Current Android issues:

Last edited:
Android is considered a secure platform and it should be because it's by far the most used mobile OS in the world. Google is also pretty bullish when it comes to fixing bugs, see stuff like Project Zero. Apple on the other hand lately has been criticized a lot because of their lackluster communication/inaction/bounty program when it comes to security issues.

You should also consider that parts of Android can be patched through Play Services which are independent of manufacturer updates. Ultimately, there are a lot of things that can be done to make Android safer (especially on cheap phones) but it's not as dire as you say. I use an iPhone 12 mini as my daily driver by the way.

Current Android issues:

The only reason why Android is the most used mobile OS is because most Android phones are dirt cheap and it's free to use.

I use both Android and iOS - Work and Private - Android is far more wonky in general thats for sure. Tons of software issues in alot of apps - rarely gets patched and I'm even using a Pixel 4A - Soon Pixel 5/6 - Hopefully they have improved, just slightly.

I get new phones every year thru work. So I don't care at all, I don't pay for them. I just exprience far more wonky sh1t on Android in general. More issues, bugs and unoptimized apps.

And thats pretty much just how it is. When coding apps for iOS you have a very limited amount of devices to test and optimize for. On Android the app have to work on 1000's of different phones - and the developers don't test the apps on all of them obviously. You _WILL_ see more bugs, this is logic 101.

Last edited:
Facebook and Google tracks you far more than Apple does, because IT'S WHAT THEY DO. Apple earns money on hardware and services. Google and Facebook earns money on information, which is sold to 3rd party. And Play Store has tons of insecure apps because Google cares about numbers over quality. Pretty much all multiplat apps run better on Apple, because they are optimized, WHY? Because developers know exactly what hardware to code for - Android phones has 1000's of different configurations, which is why it's a wonky experience most of the time.
Did you even watch that YT video? - you are didn't see the Apple builds up a unique profile of everything you do ?. Did you not see Apple makes a lot of money from Advertising - and selling that data to advertisers - so they can target you ?
Yes I'm an OTT ranter against Apple - hands up .
But you have been sold an illusion - Apple is brutal, relentless.

is out there, it can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop... EVER, until you are dead! and no longer a subject of milking and control

Did you even watch that YT video? - you are didn't see the Apple builds up a unique profile of everything you do ?. Did you not see Apple makes a lot of money from Advertising - and selling that data to advertisers - so they can target you ?
Yes I'm an OTT ranter against Apple - hands up .
But you have been sold an illusion - Apple is brutal, relentless.

is out there, it can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop... EVER, until you are dead! and no longer a subject of milking and control
Google and Facebook are worse than Apple in every way. No I did not watch your cherrypicked video. There's tons of video's about Google and Facebook saying the same crap. Who ****ing cares. Go live in a tent without electronics if you are afraid of what Apple/Google/FB will do with your information. I could not care less, since I have nothing to hide.

Back