Apple's iPhone XR goes up for pre-order tomorrow starting at $749

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Early iPhone XR reviews will likely hit the web by the middle of next week, if Apple’s previous embargos are any indication. The first batch of new iPhones received favorable reviews but several recommended waiting to see what the iPhone XR brings to the table before making a purchasing decision.

Apple’s budget-minded iPhone XR goes up for pre-order tomorrow. The handset, introduced in early September alongside the flagship iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, will be offered in a variety of colors including white, black, blue, coral, yellow and red.

The iPhone XR features a 6.1-inch “Liquid Retina” display that adopts Apple’s full-screen, notched design. Like its siblings, it’s powered by Apple’s new A12 Bionic chip and ships running iOS 12. Unlike the more expensive versions, however, it utilizes a cheaper LCD panel and only has a single rear-facing camera. It also carries a lesser IP67 rating versus the IP68 rating of the XS-class devices.

A fully charged iPhone XR is reportedly good for up to 15 hours of Internet use and 25 hours of talk time. According to Apple, it lasts up to 1.5 hours longer than an iPhone 8 Plus.

Interested parties will be able to place their order for the new iPhone XR starting at 12:01 a.m. PST on October 19. Pricing starts at $749 for a model with 64GB of on-device storage and tops out at $899 should you want 256GB. It ships a week later on October 26.

Permalink to story.

Eeeww, budget. I only buy top devices. Speaking of...Time to try something Chinese top, Xiaomi remi perhaps...

LMAO, in WHAT WORLD, is something that people are tossing in the dresser drawer or garbage can every couple years, is $749 bucks considered a "budget friendly" phone?
Maybe in the New York, San Fran, Seattle type cities 750 bucks would be considered a "budget friendly" price, but for the rest of the nation (I know I know...if you aren't in any of "those" cities, you are nowhere), that's an insane price for something Apple considers "cheap".

if you can tell the difference, youre holding your phone way too close to your face.
If you can't tell the difference, you are blind.
For comparison, I have a 720p Samsung J5 Pro and a 1080p Pixel 2, they both have AMOLED screen made by Samsung (mind you XR has LCD screen not AMOLED). The difference is staggering. And they are both 5" screens, the XR is way bigger.
Misus also has iPhone 6S Plus which has higher ppi than the XR and yet I still spot the difference between it and the Pixel 2, due to the 6S Plus bigger screen (they are both FHD).

The reason you don't is probably because you aren't used to higher resolution screen/higher ppi screen. It's like people swear by 30 FPS being cinematic or 60 FPS being plenty fast enough.

Last edited:
The screen is not very nice.

The difference between between XR and XS Max is like that between IPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

That’s a big jump but at least it’s an iPhone.

"however, it utilizes a cheaper LCD panel "

Last year no one said iphone 8 and 8+ screens are cheap!!!

I heard xr same screen as iPhone 8. Xs is upgrade. I not call this budget phone. It typical smart phone today. Xs is excessive and very luxury.

The screen is not very nice.

The difference between between XR and XS Max is like that between IPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

That’s a big jump but at least it’s an iPhone.

Back