Apple's most expensive Pro Display XDR needs a special cloth to clean it

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Apple’s Mac Pro and its Pro Display XDR monitor have arrived. In the case of the latter, it starts at a stunning $4,999, and those who opt for the top-end version should only clean it with a special, Apple-made cloth.

The Pro Display XDR monitor comes with the option of adding a “nano-texture glass” coating for an extra $1,000. This is “etched into the glass at the nanometer level,” reducing reflectivity and maintaining contrast on the matte finish.

However, such technology means you can’t just clean it with any old cloth. According to an Apple support document, you can only use the dry polishing cloth that comes with the display to remove dust or smudges from the screen.

Being able to use just one cloth to clean your monitor means taking good care of it. Apple says to hand wash the cloth with dish soap and water, rinse thoroughly, and allow it to air dry for at least 24 hours. If you happen to lose the polishing cloth, you can order another one from Apple. It doesn’t say how much it will cost, but expect to pay more than you’d expect.

Apple also stresses not to use water or other liquids to clean the nano-texture glass. For those who choose the standard glass, any microfibre cloth and a small amount of water can be used for cleaning.

Considering Apple charges $999 for the monitor’s stand, $199 for the VESA mount adapter, and $400 for the Mac Pro’s wheels, it’s somewhat surprising the cloth is included with the display.

If you do have one of Apple’s monitors and want a webcam to match, Logitech has revealed the $200 Magnetic Webcam that’s aimed at buyers of the Pro Display XDR.

Permalink to story.

OK, don't want to defend Apple in ANY way because from a customer point of view it's absolutely retarded that you need special "Apple iCloth" to clean special glass coating.

However... it's not only Apple domain to pull stunts like that.

Take some BMW models which can be painted with optional lacquer. Lacquer can be damaged by anything when hot, even by insects. So in theoretical example: its summer, full of all kinds of insects in the air, you travel 600km from point A to B. Technically you need to stop twice and wipe the car clean before lacquer cracks. It's mind-boggling, but it is a real deal. And people pay for this ...

So yeah iCloth next big (small?) thing from Apple. :p

Why is it surprising that the cloth is included? You don't NEED a VESA mount or wheels but you will get dust on your monitor screen. Apple isn't THAT stupid.

It's so sad that we live in a world where people question and challenge other people's spending decisions.

If you don't want it or can't afford it, then don't buy it.

Free Market Economics will cause Apple to either reduce prices or build it more efficiently.

But guess what: the market demand is there for these $50,000 and $60,000 8K video editing machines.

I have yet to see any other computer that has 1.5 TB of RAM or offering a 4TB PCIE SSD or 8TB PCIE SSD with these read/write speeds - or a non AIO thermal manager that runs this quietly or cool.

I hear plenty of complaints and criticisms from people claiming they can build better for less, but I just ain't seen one.

Professionals, corporations and developers who deal with expensive machines will probably lease these machines and never think twice about it.

Not only they are sh-tting you, but they come with their own toilet paper, $300 a reel.

Apple: This sh-t is for reel!

Don't forget the iCloth case that will ONLY cost you $99.99 with patented anti dust lock technology.

Also Apple is filing trademarks for a cloth with rounded edges and will make everyone pay royalties for their brilliant idea that no one ever had up to now.

To all snowflakes, this post is satire/sarcasm, please don't take it serious.

I'm not sure it's a good technological advancement if it's so fragile that you need a special cloth to polish it. Sounds like a experimental process being sold to the consumer.

Luckily it is just an optional extra. It seems unlikely to have too many takers outside of professionals that might be able to see the difference and assign a $1000 value with caveats to it.

It's so sad that we live in a world where people question and challenge other people's spending decisions.

If you don't want it or can't afford it, then don't buy it.

Free Market Economics will cause Apple to either reduce prices or build it more efficiently.

But guess what: the market demand is there for these $50,000 and $60,000 8K video editing machines.

I have yet to see any other computer that has 1.5 TB of RAM or offering a 4TB PCIE SSD or 8TB PCIE SSD with these read/write speeds - or a non AIO thermal manager that runs this quietly or cool.

I hear plenty of complaints and criticisms from people claiming they can build better for less, but I just ain't seen one.

Professionals, corporations and developers who deal with expensive machines will probably lease these machines and never think twice about it.
Hello again, pcpartpicker guy here
I made a windows equivalent pc for just 8k dollars (there’s no 1tb ram option for threadripper yet) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GZCfyk

you could also make it a hackintosh if you want macOS

OK, don't want to defend Apple in ANY way because from a customer point of view it's absolutely retarded that you need special "Apple iCloth" to clean special glass coating.

However... it's not only Apple domain to pull stunts like that.

Take some BMW models which can be painted with optional lacquer. Lacquer can be damaged by anything when hot, even by insects. So in theoretical example: its summer, full of all kinds of insects in the air, you travel 600km from point A to B. Technically you need to stop twice and wipe the car clean before lacquer cracks. It's mind-boggling, but it is a real deal. And people pay for this ...

So yeah iCloth next big (small?) thing from Apple. :p

"Apple iCloth" xD

Oh, no surprise ..... that cloth will probably cost around $500 after Apple adds in all the "requirements" for it ...... LOL

I don't care...if you want this, buy it. If you don't, then don't.
How much is it? Don't care. PERSONALLY I wouldn't buy it, but there are those
that will. Some, will actually use it, and others it's just a status symbol to show
off to their "friends".

Don't forget the iCloth case that will ONLY cost you $99.99 with patented anti dust lock technology.

Also Apple is filing trademarks for a cloth with rounded edges and will make everyone pay royalties for their brilliant idea that no one ever had up to now.

To all snowflakes, this post is satire/sarcasm, please don't take it serious.
You may think you're joking, but if the stand can cost $999, it actually would not shock me if the cloth really did cost $99. Especially when they know they are selling to big media companies with large budgets and it's not the individual user who is paying.

If some of this high-tech, low-volume stuff actually ends up being truly useful, hopefully we'll see it at much improved pricing in the not too distant future.

Because more memory and larger SSD allows you to work easier when editing very large 8K files.

Duh...

We are talking movie-length films here.
That's not realistic, No video editing application will load the entire video into ram at once. it deals with the sections you are working on.
With nvme SSD's that do 3gb/s we're far away from the old times where you *HAD* to have tons of ram to keep up with the 100-200mb/s hdd speeds.

More to the point, you can build a WAY more powerful computer with macOS running on it for MUCH less money. One of hundreds similar videos:

Apple is a company that sells snake oil for top dollar and its disgusting that people are willing to defend them for it.

That's not realistic, No video editing application will load the entire video into ram at once. it deals with the sections you are working on.
With nvme SSD's that do 3gb/s we're far away from the old times where you *HAD* to have tons of ram to keep up with the 100-200mb/s hdd speeds.

More to the point, you can build a WAY more powerful computer with macOS running on it for MUCH less money. One of hundreds similar videos:

Apple is a company that sells snake oil for top dollar and its disgusting that people are willing to defend them for it.

If I wanna spend $25,000 for 1.5TB of RAM...then as a corporation that's my business.

I'd like to see a video from TechSpot or Linus or Nexus to get hold of this 50k Mac and actually try and use all that RAM. I just cannot see any Applications actually using over 1TB of RAM. Linus would be in a good position to test it since he has a couple of RED camera's and a fleet of editors.

Hello, pcpartpicker guy here (again)

You can build a Xeon based system with 1tb of ram for just 28k dollars https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3fGC8M

I prefer the threadripper system tbh
not only that, but the sabrent rocket is prob a bit faster than the ssd the mac pro has

Do me a favor...option out a computer till it has 28-core CPU, Dual Vega Pro Duo 32GB x2, 8TB SSD and Apple's proprietary GPU amplifier and then come back and tell me how much it costs.

Then I wanna see how its temperature peaks and how quiet it is.

Back