Application not found

circusboy01

When I click on my desktop shortcut for Techspot and the one for Worldstart I get the little box with the white X in a red circle in it with the words Applications not found,and their URL link above that.The only thing I have done recently is install Opera and (another well known Browser.Can't think of the name right now .) and then uninstall them the next day. These two Desk top short cuts were working While I had the two new Browsers,and I'm pretty sure they were working, for a while, after I got rid of them All my other Desktop shortcuts still work just fine. The only way I can get to Techspot or Worldstart now is search for them in one of my Browsers I tried to create a new shortcut
but I still get the same Application not found message.
Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem? Thanks CB I';m running Windows7

Try using System Restore to a point before you installed the two browsers.

Are both of these shortcuts to websites? If so, I'm guessing Windows still has html files associated with the browsers you uninstalled. What verison of Windows are you using and what is your current internet browser?

Are both of these shortcuts to websites? If so, I'm guessing Windows still has html files associated with the browsers you uninstalled. What verison of Windows are you using and what is your current internet browser?

One of the shortcuts is to Techspot the other is to worldstart which is another forum just like techspot .I guess their websites?
Using Windows 7 My browsers are IE (only because you can't get rid of it and still have things work properly) Seamonkey (seldom use) Firefox and Google Chrome.
( use both about the same). Thanks for responding CB

Try this.

-Open Control Panel
-Open Default Programs
-Click "Associate file type or protocol with a program"
-Scroll down to htm and html, make sure they are associated with Internet Explorer

Try this.

-Open Control Panel
-Open Default Programs
-Click "Associate file type or protocol with a program"
-Scroll down to htm and html, make sure they are associated with Internet Explorer

Thanks. Followed your instructions found:
Name hta Description HTML application current default Microsoft (R) HTML Application Host

Name htm description Firefox Document Current Default Firefox
" html " " " " " "

I put in the " to save typing so much.

Do I need to change anything? If so how?

Thanks again for trying to help CB

The hta file is fine. For the htm and the html file, click the Change Program button and select Internet Explorer for both items.

The hta file is fine. For the htm and the html file, click the Change Program button and select Internet Explorer for both items.

Made changes. Didn't work. going to check out Lookarounds idea in a while Right now I'm tired of trying. CB Also gonna run a complete virus scan with all my protection.

This is an Edit; Good news everybody I reinstalled Safari and got my shortcuts back.( please picture,in your mind,a smily face with a little arm and hand wiping his brow) LOL CB

Glad to hear you got it fixed. We were on the right track, just not quite there. Congrats.

Thank you again. You know what's strange? Before I had downloaded Opera and Safari. Techspot and Worldstrart both opened up in Firefox. After the downloads they started opening up in Opera. So you would think reinstalling Opera would get the shortcuts back., Not safari. Maybe I'll download Opera again to see if TS and WS start opening up in Opera instead of Safari.......Or maybe I'll just leave well enough alone.:haha: CB

If you really wanted Opera back, you could try it. Or, if you want them to open in a different browser, you could just add the sites to your favorites (or bookmarks in FireFox) within that browser, then make a new shortcut to those favorites.

If you really wanted Opera back, you could try it. Or, if you want them to open in a different browser, you could just add the sites to your favorites (or bookmarks in FireFox) within that browser, then make a new shortcut to those favorites.

I like the fact that their opening up in Safari. I like the browser and I'm going to make it my default browser
As for Opera. I might download it again I like the tabs that took you, instantly, back to any site you had been to. In the blink of an eye you can go from techspot to worldstart
then to gmail to yahoo mail and back to techspot al on the same page. I like the look of Safari, and the fact that it's got a real good movie preview set up.
Don't remember why I like Firefox and google chrome Maybe Iv'e had them so long that they have become a part of me CB

hta vs htm/html

This wiki makes the point that
the HTA contains the html verbatim, while the htm/html shortcut is just the url to the specific web page.
Such a shortcut then relies upon your default browser, launches it with that url as the first request.

It is not uncommon to disable HTA file association for security reasons

This wiki makes the point that
the HTA contains the html verbatim, while the htm/html shortcut is just the url to the specific web page.
Such a shortcut then relies upon your default browser, launches it with that url as the first request.

It is not uncommon to disable HTA file association for security reasons

I think I remember Worldstart message board coming on screen by itself.not in Firefox. But I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
Could it be that it was opening up in HTA,and when it started opening up in Firefox it changed from HTA to htm/html ?
Or am I understandiung your post wrong?
I would like both Techspot and worldstart to open up independently and not have to rely on a browser.Thanks for your post CB

Back