Application Optimization in 14th-gen Intel Core processors can boost gaming performance...

brochi

Something to look forward to: Intel's Application Optimization (APO) feature for 14th-gen CPUs has been overlooked by most (including by us in our review) because it only supports two games. Two users put it to the test, reporting a hefty performance boost of nearly 32% in certain conditions. So maybe now it needs more supported games.

When Intel introduced its 14th-gen Core processors, there wasn't much talk about the new APO (Application Optimization) feature that detects games and optimizes the CPU for specific titles. Turns out APO can boost the frame rates in games by over 200 fps, but it can only improve the gaming experience in games it supports, namely Rainbow Six Siege and Metro Exodus.

According to Intel, APO directs application resources in real time, which optimizes thread scheduling and application threading. The feature works hand-in-hand with Thread Director, a hardware scheduling feature that assists your PC in allocating tasks to the appropriate cores.

One Redditor went through the pain of testing APO, and the performance boosts are to die for. User LightMoisture used the flagship Core i9-14900K running Metro Exodus on 1080p and low settings (which minimize GPU bottlenecks), and the frame rate jumped from 273 to 339 FPS, a whopping 24% increase. Rainbow Six Siege was the icing on the cake, recording a 200+ FPS boost from 659 FPS to 867 FPS.

The Verge also took the plunge and got results that somewhat correspond to what Intel claims: a 16% boost for Metro Exodus, and a 13% boost for Rainbow Six Siege. Tom used the same processor as u/LightMoisture with an RTX 4090.

In the grand scheme of things, a 10+% boost is pretty great for just "turning on a switch." Both testers admit that getting the app running is tasking, which may be one of its limitations. In addition, it only works on 14th-gen CPUs, and it needs special drivers. If you try to install the app from the Microsoft Store without the proper drivers, you'll get an error. You may also need to search for the app manually, as some Redditors reported they were getting errors when they tried to install it from the official store.

So how do you make APO work? You need Dynamic Tuning drivers, and you need to go into your BIOS settings and enable Intel Dynamic Tuning. Then try to download and install the app. Once APO is running, it will detect games on its own.

Clearly APO hasn't received that much hype and these kind of installation hurdles, including the fact that it only supports two games won't be generating that much buzz, at least not until Intel can tell us when it will update its list of supported games and apps. But if users see similar improvements in other applications, that may become the 14th-gen CPU's main attraction.

Permalink to story.

Sooo... if, as Steve Walton has just proven few hours ago, the last three generations from Intel are basically the same core, could Intel enable those optimisations on other generations, or will It choose to show It's clients the finger?

For the very few that may have gotten APO working, could you provide pointers for doing so on a Gigabyte z790 board?

Sooo... if, as Steve Walton has just proven few hours ago, the last three generations from Intel are basically the same core, could Intel enable those optimisations on other generations, or will It choose to show It's clients the finger?
Is this a rhetorical question? ;)

I'm always surprised to hear someone even bought into the 14th gen, or went Intel at all really with current pricing and performance and platform longevity issues. I thought AMD was really the obvious choice for the last couple of years now.

I'm always surprised to hear someone even bought into the 14th gen, or went Intel at all really with current pricing and performance and platform longevity issues. I thought AMD was really the obvious choice for the last couple of years now.
Intel is still popular for those chasing ultra high refresh rates, and on the lower end AMD abandoned us long ago. They have no real answer to core i3s or i5s, especially when on sale.

platform longevity only matters to a tiny minority of buyers who need to buy a new CPU every 2 years. Most use their platform until it is no longer fast enough, at which point a superior platform is available.

I've always liked Intel. Never cared for AMD. I've used both but for the last 15 years Intel. I'm not changing to AMD. Imo they aren't doing anything special, just Intels competitor.

Do I have anything against AMD, nope. I'm just team Intel. Just like I'm team nVidia. Have to give me a reason to switch and I've never really seen one.

TotalAnnihilation from 1998 ( best RTS of all time tho ) really need more FPS from a 2023 "flagship" cpu ... it's not like it was already running fine with my pentium 133mhz from back in the day.

Interesting...wake me up 3-4 years later when they manage to make it work on majority of new games and across whole future CPU lineup.

Intel is still popular for those chasing ultra high refresh rates...
Highest framerates in what though? Because outside of Counterstrike, AMD's CPU's are faster? Straight off Techspot's own 14900K review:
Average-p.webp

14900K owners have bought a more expensive, but still overall slower gaming CPU that eats double the power? What am I missing here? There's that many hardcore Counterstrike players?
on the lower end AMD abandoned us long ago. They have no real answer to core i3s or i5s, especially when on sale.
I don't really have a comment on that, based on the graph above, you're right, by an average of 2fps between the i5 and 7700X though and they're basically the same price where I live.
platform longevity only matters to a tiny minority of buyers who need to buy a new CPU every 2 years. Most use their platform until it is no longer fast enough, at which point a superior platform is available.
I mean, I'm the minority but I usually start looking for computer upgrades after 5-6 years, DDR5 isn't going anywhere, I have PCI-E 5.0 that isn't even utilised yet, I see it as a win that in 5-6 years time I can open my computer up, drop a new CPU in, upgrade the GPU and SSD's to stuff that might utilise PCI-E 5.0. No need to buy a new mobo or RAM.

All my past systems have been Intel, last CPU was the 8700K, it was a beast, the X3D processors are miles ahead of anything intel has though, I was at insomnia at the NEC recently, classic giant room full of PC gamers, naturally. I was surprised to see how much the 7800X3d and 7950X3D can perform over the 13900K in certain games and emulation scenarios, whilst costing less and using far less power.

Highest framerates in what though? Because outside of Counterstrike, AMD's CPU's are faster? Straight off Techspot's own 14900K review:
Average-p.webp

14900K owners have bought a more expensive, but still overall slower gaming CPU that eats double the power? What am I missing here? There's that many hardcore Counterstrike players?

I don't really have a comment on that, based on the graph above, you're right, by an average of 2fps between the i5 and 7700X though and they're basically the same price where I live.

I mean, I'm the minority but I usually start looking for computer upgrades after 5-6 years, DDR5 isn't going anywhere, I have PCI-E 5.0 that isn't even utilised yet, I see it as a win that in 5-6 years time I can open my computer up, drop a new CPU in, upgrade the GPU and SSD's to stuff that might utilise PCI-E 5.0. No need to buy a new mobo or RAM.

All my past systems have been Intel, last CPU was the 8700K, it was a beast, the X3D processors are miles ahead of anything intel has though, I was at insomnia at the NEC recently, classic giant room full of PC gamers, naturally. I was surprised to see how much the 7800X3d and 7950X3D can perform over the 13900K in certain games and emulation scenarios, whilst costing less and using far less power.
;)

I guess this applies to ANY cpu for that matter, so...what does it have to do with 14th gen?
they are running out of things to say.

Back