Are Dell and Hitachi inverter boards interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell Inspiron 8600 has the infamous "(almost) black screen" problem and it looks like the next step is to replace the inverter board. In searching for the part, I find that both LG and Hitachi make inverter boards for the 8600 with the 15.4" screen. I don't know which one to buy. Do I need to replace my inverter board with the same one that is in there now, or will either of the available boards work?

If I do need to buy the exact same board, is there a way I can tell what I now have short of taking the screen apart and looking at it? I realize I will have to take it apart to replace the board, but I don't want to do any more monkeying with it than is necessary. I am not a technical person, and I figure every instance of fiddling with the machine is another opportunity for it to break forever.

BTW, I thought maybe I could get information about who manufactured the monitor from Settings/System/Hardware and then order the corresponding part, but unfortunately there was nothing there, or at least nothing that I found.

Thanks for any help!

is there a way I can tell what I now have short of taking the screen apart and looking at it

Answer: Take screen apart and look at it ! :)
Basically Dell use different screens in same model laptops

Likely: Hitachi (but not confirmed)

Edit, no not interchangeable, sorry about that!

Thanks again

Thank you very much for the link. FYI, I found my instructions about how to do it at the following location. I can't post links yet, so I hope this is clear enough. Hopefully this work-around doesn't violate terms.

www insidemylaptop com slash take-apart-display-panel-replace-inverter-on-dell-inspiron-8500-8600-laptop

There's a link on the page that you have to click on to get to the PDF instructions.

took 8600 screen apart, still more questions

Okay, so taking the screen cover off turned out to be easy, but determining what inverter board I should buy is still hard!

There's no screen manufacturer name in sight, and the inverter board is marked like this:
LTN154P/U-B
K021056.01
1422038-07

None of those match the numbers of the boards at PC Hub (where parts look pretty cheap). There, the LG is desginated
YPNL-N015A, 6632L-0073A, LP154W01-B3

and the Hitachi is 67303300 PH-BLC120 1C02691-05

Looking around more, I did find K021056.01 (associated with Samsung, I think?) for sale at some places, but they are all something like $90, whereas the ones at PC Hub (if I could use them) are more like $20.

I also found several places advertising a board with number K021056.00. Would that be interchangeable with K21056.01, do you think?

So you see, I'm still a bit :confused:

instead of changing the inverter board, first, try to connect working FL-cathode lamp to inverter and turn the laptop on. inverter board is digital unit, it means, that this unit works fine or doesn't work at all. to be sure which inverter board p/n you need, try to find the service manual for this laptop(afaik, dell allows to download it for free). there you can find exact inverter part numbers which used in this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back