Are these good gaming pc specs?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try this instead

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Processor: i5-4690k for overclocking purposes
motherboard: asus/asrock z97 for overclocking purposes
storage: add 256gb Samsung 840 evo ssd for OS/ fav games, hdd is for general storage
gpu: NVidia gtx 770 or amd r9 280x (or higher)
psu: seasonic 600w+ for single gpu usage

Processor: i5-4690k for overclocking purposes
motherboard: asus/asrock z97 for overclocking purposes
storage: add 256gb Samsung 840 evo ssd for OS/ fav games, hdd is for general storage
gpu: NVidia gtx 770 or amd r9 280x (or higher)
psu: seasonic 600w+ for single gpu usage
I'm not really into over locking because this is my first build. But if you could change some stuff on this pc spec list that could make it cheaper.
PcPartPicker List: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HLmwmG

Okay here are some suggestions:
Change that 4790 to a 4690.
Dump the Kraken x60 and pick up something $30 like the thermalright true spirit 120.
Swap the power supply for a rosewill capstone 550w.
Swap the graphics card for a gtx 780 Ti.

Storage is up to your own needs but I'd get an SSD if I were you.

You wouldn't need a soundcard if you don't want to get one.
An R9 290 would give you very similar performance but it'll probably be a little cheaper.

You wouldn't need a soundcard if you don't want to get one.
An R9 290 would give you very similar performance but it'll probably be a little cheaper.
I was just wondering would I need a 7.1 sound card because I knew that to get the best performance with a astro a40 was with a 7.1 sound card.

How much are you wanting to spend on all this because some of the areas for parts seem to be a bit off the wall.

My suggestion to you would be like HK said, get an i5, get a better GPU (Depending on what you want to spend either a R9 290/X or a GTX 780/ti) and a big SSD with a tb storage drive. 8gb of ram is enough for a gaming rig and then pick a motherboard like the MSI Z97-G55.

How much are you wanting to spend on all this because some of the areas for parts seem to be a bit off the wall.

My suggestion to you would be like HK said, get an i5, get a better GPU (Depending on what you want to spend either a R9 290/X or a GTX 780/ti) and a big SSD with a tb storage drive. 8gb of ram is enough for a gaming rig and then pick a motherboard like the MSI Z97-G55.
I don't want to go over $2000 Aud including the headset, keyboard and mouse.

Nvm the last comment I said here is the final build of everything I will need to make this gaming pc, also is the monitor a good choice? Btw the case comes with fans should I use the ones on the list or the ones that come with it?

PcPartPicker List: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/KpQpQ7

I don't want to go over $2000 Aud including the headset, keyboard and mouse.
Ok is this good enough I don't want to go over $2000 aud because I am going to buy a $144 moniter.

PcPartPicker List: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/WdDtLk
Ok so entire system for ~2k with a keyboard, mouse, headset, and monitor. You can do quite alot for that budget in all honesty!

Let me make a few adjustments based on my ideas and see what you think ok? I can only suggest a few things but its up to you in the end (FYI Im going to just link based on sites in PC part picker, just not a big fan of it because normally people buy from one spot and the prices are very different at times):

i5 4690K (I would still get a K variant with the budget because even if you do not want to you can use auto overclock tools to boost its performance for free!)
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (Great value motherboards with loads of features, free overclocking tools that will auto overclock for you)
Antec Kuhler 950 CPU AIO (A good Value and great CPU cooler, will allow for great overclocking and is very reliable, I have the older model of this still going in a friends rig for 3 years strong)
Gskill 8gb Sniper 1600 (2x4gb (More than enough for gaming, nothing really exceeds this)
Crucial MX100 256gb SSD (Great value SSD with good reviews)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
Seasonic 550 Gold PSU (Powerful, efficient, and just reliable PSU's!)
NZXT Phantom 410 (Case is more of a matter of the user, just make sure everything will fit and pick the case that looks best to you!)
MSI Gaming R9 290X (For some odd reason this site has the 280X then skips to the 290X, no 290...If you can get a 290 and want to save a couple of buck just get a 290 as its great for 90% of the 290X in performance and a better value. If you do go for the 290, up your SSD to a 500+ gb)
Windows 8.1
Razer Kraken
Razer Deathadder
Razer DeathStalker

Overall with this suggestion you will have your self one heck of a gaming machine ready for years to come! My suggestions are based on using as much of the budget for as much power as possible while getting the things you wanted and came to $1966. You should then be able to pair this with any monitor you buy (Probably up to 1440p resolution) and play a game a max settings!

Hope this can help you!

Ok so entire system for ~2k with a keyboard, mouse, headset, and monitor. You can do quite alot for that budget in all honesty!

Let me make a few adjustments based on my ideas and see what you think ok? I can only suggest a few things but its up to you in the end (FYI Im going to just link based on sites in PC part picker, just not a big fan of it because normally people buy from one spot and the prices are very different at times):

i5 4690K (I would still get a K variant with the budget because even if you do not want to you can use auto overclock tools to boost its performance for free!)
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (Great value motherboards with loads of features, free overclocking tools that will auto overclock for you)
Antec Kuhler 950 CPU AIO (A good Value and great CPU cooler, will allow for great overclocking and is very reliable, I have the older model of this still going in a friends rig for 3 years strong)
Gskill 8gb Sniper 1600 (2x4gb (More than enough for gaming, nothing really exceeds this)
Crucial MX100 256gb SSD (Great value SSD with good reviews)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
Seasonic 550 Gold PSU (Powerful, efficient, and just reliable PSU's!)
NZXT Phantom 410 (Case is more of a matter of the user, just make sure everything will fit and pick the case that looks best to you!)
MSI Gaming R9 290X (For some odd reason this site has the 280X then skips to the 290X, no 290...If you can get a 290 and want to save a couple of buck just get a 290 as its great for 90% of the 290X in performance and a better value. If you do go for the 290, up your SSD to a 500+ gb)
Windows 8.1
Razer Kraken
Razer Deathadder
Razer DeathStalker

Overall with this suggestion you will have your self one heck of a gaming machine ready for years to come! My suggestions are based on using as much of the budget for as much power as possible while getting the things you wanted and came to $1966. You should then be able to pair this with any monitor you buy (Probably up to 1440p resolution) and play a game a max settings!

Hope this can help you!
Thank you for your help here is the list and also I would like to know a bit about the auto overclocking. Also is the monitor good enough or should I upgrade it if so give me some suggestions of cheap good monitors.

PcPartPicker List: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mPfNYJ

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point a little.
It would make sense to get a 4690k and a Z97 or a 4690 and an H97 but wouldn't make much sense to mix them.

Back