As we ease into 2022, GPU prices are no longer trending upward

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: We’ve all grown accustomed to the grim image of graphics cards selling for two to three times their MSRP. The most optimistic among industry leaders believe we still have six months before we’ll see prices trending downward, and the most current data suggests they’ll plateau at around 90 to 100 percent over MSRP until then.

GPU pricing and availability was bleak in 2021, as we’ve noted in each one of our monthly reports. People who have been trying to upgrade their systems with one of Nvidia’s RTX 3000 series or AMD’s RX 6000 series graphics cards were faced with scalpers and cryptocurrency enthusiasts grabbing much of the available stock. Used GPU pricing has also been a nightmare, as it followed a similar trend as brand new GPUs.

As we ease into 2022, there’s no sign of the situation improving in any significant way, but there are some reasons to keep hoping for it.

For one, both AMD and Nvidia believe the supply of graphics cards will gradually improve this year. Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger is less optimistic in this regard, as Team Blue is readying its first wave of Alchemist GPUs which will intensify competition in the space but depend on limited foundry capacity just like current generation GPUs from the other two companies.

According to German publication 3DCenter, GPU retail pricing seems to have plateaued. After reaching 91 to 92 percent above MSRP in December, it has now returned to November levels, with Nvidia’s RTX 3000 series cards sitting at 89 percent above MSRP. AMD’s RX 6000 series have seen a slightly higher dip to 85 percent above MSRP levels thanks to better availability.

A Jon Peddie Research report last year highlighted a peculiar fact — graphics card shipments actually increased towards the end of 2021, which should have pushed prices down, at least in theory. Ethereum mining profitability has taken a small hit in December, but that doesn’t seem to have made any dent in the number of GPUs that are at work hashing transactions on the network.

All in all, GPUs are still ridiculously expensive and will likely remain like that until Ethereum begins its major shift to a proof of stake model, which will render GPU mining obsolete or, at the very least, unprofitable. The protocol developers expect this to happen in June, but there’s always a possibility for further delays.

Permalink to story.

"All in all, GPUs are still ridiculously expensive and will likely remain like that until Ethereum begins its major shift to a proof of stake model, which will render GPU mining obsolete or, at the very least, unprofitable. The protocol developers expect this to happen in June, but there’s always a possibility for further delays."
First of all PoS will not replace PoW immediately, as it is a long process of "updating" the whole blockchain. So, even if they begin in June this year, it could be over in June next year. As much as I hate ETH for singlehandedly destroying gamers` hopes and dreams, there are still other profitable coins out there and more will be created to take advantage of this new "industry". So, it`s pretty grim if your only hope is losing overall interest for mining. The way I see it, the things will only improve when crypto market gets so huge with so many coins (already happening) that capital is diluted into too many projects and so none or just a very few will be extremely profitable and thus less money for PoW projects, less money for miners and the second thing is improved supply, which is also happening and will really kick off towards the end of year with nVidia relying on TSMC and hopefully the end of this fxcking pandemic.

I think I called it: this *is* the new normal and prices will just never dip below 90 to 100% above MSRP from now on. As @emmzo points out even if Eth "goes away" somehow, as long as bit coin remains stable and valuated another coin is likely to be created to mine with gpus.

At this point the only thing Nvidia and AMD seem to be wiling to do is just create some refreshed entry level products like the upcoming 3050 desktop and 6500 from AMD. This are rumored but they kinda need at least some gimped cards to actually go for gaming consumers at this point so long term I suspect they'll continue to just let distributors sell bulk to miners while attempting to create products that are intentionally bad to miners with things like tiny vram amounts: while gamers might complain after all they *are* capable of lowering details and textures to make due while you can't really do much for a card that doesn't has sufficient vram for mining.

So 280-300 bucks for a 3050 will be the best you can get for maybe all of 2022: better learn to downsize and forget about native 4k or 120hz gaming on max detail unless you're willing to jump to all the way over 1000-2000 USD for all of the other cards.

With any luck, these kids will be able to get a 3080Ti or 3090 and finally be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 properly.

I know that crypto prices are on "bear run", this is why I sold my backup card, a RX 570 8Gb to a miner the other day for 400 USD. But stil I wont pay 1000 or more to play games, damn I wont pay more than 350 for a GPU.

Im done, I'll keep my 980ti til it dies, none of these companies give a damn about the average consumer, so they can keep their wares.

gaming in general just gets worst each gen anyway, so I'll just assume the future of it is full of more bs and if I miss that then what the f*** ever.

never sold my old consoles or games and I have a sweet backlog on steam so im good.

And as we eased even into 2021 I no longer gave a damn. Appalling time to look to upgrade IMO. I wait for next gen GPU's and CPU's, DDR5 availability and look to build a new system in 2023.
I think it's going to be even worse with the next gen GPU's than it was with the current ones. More people rushing to buy the latest and greatest, more online bots, more scalpers, more consumerism. This trend will end only if something extreme will happen, like a huge economic crisis, which many people say it's already uppon us.

I know that crypto prices are on "bear run", this is why I sold my backup card, a RX 570 8Gb to a miner the other day for 400 USD. But stil I wont pay 1000 or more to play games, damn I wont pay more than 350 for a GPU.

When this entire mess first started, I got a 3080 on launch day for MSRP.

But it was always my intention to go for the "BFGPU" 3090 despite it having an MSRP of $1500.

I don't see a problem getting a piece of tech like that - supremely capable - and future proof for at least the next generation or two.

But it was always my intention to go for the "BFGPU" 3090 despite it having an MSRP of $1500.

I don't see a problem getting a piece of tech like that - supremely capable - and future proof for at least the next generation or two.

I refuse to pay the "leather jacket's" cartel the price they set for GPU market. AMD and Ngreedia CEO's are "famiglia". it's the worst mafia since the prohibition. Giving them what price they set will set the bar higher for next gen. Just wait and see the next gen GPU's priced 2000+.

I know R&R, low cap production, this damn pandemic and China trade war.........but this situation is getting out of control.

I agree current GPU prices are the new normal and I don't think they will ever drop to MSRP levels b/c Crypto-Mining creates and sustains infinite demand.

Even if ETH somehow magically stops being relevant to mining for profit, I am sure other coins will be created that will be.

We should also take into account that current pricing is partly due to the fact that right now abt 3.5 million units LESS discreet GPUs are being produced than the 2017-2018 peak.

Now, if Nvidia would just bring back their free FORTRAN compiler, and improve the FP64 performance of their video cards, I might be interested in running out and upgrading my video card when supplies become available again.

The worrying thing is that Nvidia just signed that very expensive 4xxx series deal with TSMC. Which gives justification in a way to prices as they stand now...hopefully everything goes back to normal...but who knows at this point.

The worrying thing is that Nvidia just signed that very expensive 4xxx series deal with TSMC. Which gives justification in a way to prices as they stand now...hopefully everything goes back to normal...but who knows at this point.
This is the "new normal", in more ways then one. Enjoy it.
I think it's going to be even worse with the next gen GPU's than it was with the current ones. More people rushing to buy the latest and greatest, more online bots, more scalpers, more consumerism. This trend will end only if something extreme will happen, like a huge economic crisis, which many people say it's already uppon us.
The 2008 crash is what reverted the insane prices of GPUs years ago. The 8800 ultra was over $1000 adjusted for inflation in 2006, by 2009 the GTX 285 was a $350 product.

We all know one is coming, you cant just print 50% of your currency in one year, push massive subsidies, and shut down the economy off and on again for 2 years without huge hiccups following.
"All in all, GPUs are still ridiculously expensive and will likely remain like that until Ethereum begins its major shift to a proof of stake model, which will render GPU mining obsolete or, at the very least, unprofitable. The protocol developers expect this to happen in June, but there’s always a possibility for further delays."
First of all PoS will not replace PoW immediately, as it is a long process of "updating" the whole blockchain. So, even if they begin in June this year, it could be over in June next year. As much as I hate ETH for singlehandedly destroying gamers` hopes and dreams, there are still other profitable coins out there and more will be created to take advantage of this new "industry". So, it`s pretty grim if your only hope is losing overall interest for mining. The way I see it, the things will only improve when crypto market gets so huge with so many coins (already happening) that capital is diluted into too many projects and so none or just a very few will be extremely profitable and thus less money for PoW projects, less money for miners and the second thing is improved supply, which is also happening and will really kick off towards the end of year with nVidia relying on TSMC and hopefully the end of this fxcking pandemic.
Etherium will never go PoS. There's too much money in it, they've been pushign back the implementation for half a decade now, with a new excuse each time.

there is a lot of money, funded by free debt, flowing in the economy right now, thats why you see things like crypto and NFTs doing so well alongside the stock market. All these prices are not indicative of the market itself though,a nd eventually the scheme will fail. If Biden ever gets that 46% crypto tax he wants, payable when you recieve said coin, that would utterly derail the crypto speculation market. Alternatively, if a bunch of people try to cash out their crypto and find there ar enot many ways to do it, that would also cause a crisis.

It's gonna be sweet once prices come down to a reasonable level for anyone who was patient.

I don't understand why people think these prices are the new norm.
Mining may be taking a huge hit very soon and when it does the market will be flooded big time with high-end used cards. Plus with the rehash of older cards hitting the market...I think we are in for a good year. It may be later in the year but I could see things getting a lot better around summer. That said, I'm damn happy I bought a 5700xt before all this hit.

I don't understand why people think these prices are the new norm.
Mining may be taking a huge hit very soon and when it does the market will be flooded big time with high-end used cards. Plus with the rehash of older cards hitting the market...I think we are in for a good year. It may be later in the year but I could see things getting a lot better around summer. That said, I'm damn happy I bought a 5700xt before all this hit.
Because GPU prices do not exist in a bubble. Everything is getting more expensive, from food to gas to everyday products, electronics and clothes; companies and CEOs are printing mints, and they have 0 reason to stop doing this as millions are willing to pay these elevated prices, and governments hand out free debt to anyone who asks. There are enough m0r0ns out there who will pay 3x MSRP to have the latest bling. Meanwhile you have governments talking about future lockdowns and mandates that will continue to print money for these same companies even as hospitals remain at normal levels and people stop dying. Corruptiona nd greed drive this system,a nd both have been shiften into overdrive the last few years.

The only thing that would force prices back down is a major consumer boycott, and the only way that will happen is a 2008 level great recession or 20s style depression. Everyone can see the rampant inflation hitting, but nobody wants to admit it.

Because GPU prices do not exist in a bubble. Everything is getting more expensive, from food to gas to everyday products, electronics and clothes; companies and CEOs are printing mints, and they have 0 reason to stop doing this as millions are willing to pay these elevated prices, and governments hand out free debt to anyone who asks. There are enough m0r0ns out there who will pay 3x MSRP to have the latest bling. Meanwhile you have governments talking about future lockdowns and mandates that will continue to print money for these same companies even as hospitals remain at normal levels and people stop dying. Corruptiona nd greed drive this system,a nd both have been shiften into overdrive the last few years.

The only thing that would force prices back down is a major consumer boycott, and the only way that will happen is a 2008 level great recession or 20s style depression. Everyone can see the rampant inflation hitting, but nobody wants to admit it.
Yeah everything is going up but not like the GPU market. Mining is the biggest problem. If mining takes a hit prices will drop and we know this may be coming up soon. It's simple supply and demand. When the market is completely flooded with used high-end GPUs demand will drop. When the demand drops the prices will follow.

I was looking today at the prices of cards and I was a bit dumbfounded by the difference in prices between the RTX 3080 and RX 6800 XT cards. The cheapest RTX 3080 is over $200 more expensive than the cheapest RX 6800 XT. That blows my mind because the 6800 XT has 16GB of VRAM while the 3080 has only 10. I'd be all too happy to pay $211 less for a card that has very similar performance and 60% more VRAM.

RX 6800 XT 16GB: $1479
RTX 3080 - $1690

A card with 16GB will have a massive longevity advantage over a card with only 10GB and it's already showing because Far Cry 6 requires a card to have a VRAM buffer of at least 11GB to use the HD texture pack. So, I could use the HD texture pack in Far Cry 6 with a card as low as the RX 6700 XT but not a high-end card like the RTX 3080.

I guarantee you that FC6 is only the first game that will need more than 10GB of VRAM for HD textures. There WILL be more.

Last edited:

Sure, supremely capable and supremely expensive tech with coil whine, overheating, artifacting, light bleeding, dead pixels, color non-uniformity in 2 out of 3 products coming from Robot Factory China. But, of course, it just works! Just buy it!

Back