Ashley Madison latest: ex-CTO may have hacked competitor, suicides could be linked to leak and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Ashley Madison saga has taken a sobering turn for the worse as police in Toronto are investigating whether two recent suicides may be linked to the high-profile hack and subsequent publishing of personal data on more than 30 million current and former members of the dating site.

Toronto Police Superintendent Bryce Evans said during a recent news conference that details regarding both deaths are sparse at this time. Authorities are also attempting to track down those responsible for the attack, we're told.

If you recall, a group going by the name The Impact Team has taken responsibility for the hack and data dump. McAfee founder John McAfee believes he has a pretty good idea of who pulled off the job.

According to McAfee, signs suggest the data was stolen by a former female employee that worked for Avid Life Media, the parent company of Ashley Madison. McAfee pointed to “reliable sources within the Dark Web” that have yet to fail him and analysis of the hacker(s) manifesto to come to the conclusion that The Impact Team isn’t a team at all but a lone wolf.

In related news, e-mails from the massive data dump suggest Ashley Madison’s former CTO found a vulnerability in the website of competitor Nerve.com that allowed him to lift the company’s data base, alter records, turn non-paying members into paying members and more.

Wired notes that Avid Life Media CEO Noel Biderman discussed whether or not he should inform Nerve.com of the vulnerability. Iit’s unclear if he ever did.

Permalink to story.

Ok, I had to read this a couple of times. So 3 stories in one.

1. People killing themselves possibly linked to their dirty secrets becoming public.
2. John McAfee thinks he knows who has done it (even though his anti-virus program still sucks)
3. Ashley Madison’s former CTO knew how to hack Nerve.com

Did I misread or is the title of this article:
Ashley Madison latest: Cleaning of the Gene Pool?

Or perhaps that's what I thought about those committing suicide after they were discovered?

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm getting really sick of seeing that girl holding her finger to her lips on about every freakin' site on the internet. Enough with this 'story' already.
Absolutely agree.

Anyone who thinks their data is safe anywhere on the internet, including such "benign" sites as Amazon, is delusional, IMHO. All one can do is limit the amount of data that one puts out there; however, those subscribing to a site like Ashley Madison are especially asking to be exposed as their actions, by their choice, are contrary to the best of human nature. If it were not some hacker, or some disgruntled former employee, it would be some religious zealot on a mission from God.

I hope all my Ashley Madison partners don't find out I lied about being married
So you mean you are really not married? :D

I hope all my Ashley Madison partners don't find out I lied about being married
Why would they care? Initially they only cared about your money, not protecting your personal data and now they're only cared about extricating themselves from this mess.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm getting really sick of seeing that girl holding her finger to her lips on about every freakin' site on the internet.

She's hot, so I give her a pass. It's not her fault - it's genetics.

I dunno what to make of McAfee's mutterings. As far as I know he is one very shady character and not creditable at all.

If people had MORALS, sites like that would not exist. If you are faithful to your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend, then you wouldn't be worrying yourself about cyber leaks.
We as a society, have crawled down in the sewer, and we are "shocked" when it bites us in the
rear. You reap, what you sew!

If people had MORALS, sites like that would not exist. If you are faithful to your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend, then you wouldn't be worrying yourself about cyber leaks.
We as a society, have crawled down in the sewer, and we are "shocked" when it bites us in the
Humans have always had problems being monogamous, probably since we were never really set to be that way. Regardless it has never been our strong point and things like this has always been around, that is why prostitution is one of the oldest jobs on the planet. It is not new to our society (if you think so you have a very rosy view of the past) and we have never been out of the "sewers" as you say. Just a quick FYI but it is sow not sew since the saying has to do with sowing seeds and reaping the harvest.

Humans have always had problems being monogamous, probably since we were never really set to be that way. Regardless it has never been our strong point and things like this has always been around, that is why prostitution is one of the oldest jobs on the planet. It is not new to our society (if you think so you have a very rosy view of the past) and we have never been out of the "sewers" as you say. Just a quick FYI but it is sow not sew since the saying has to do with sowing seeds and reaping the harvest.

I always like how many people can't go back much more then 100-200 years in history. Numerically we have more people on earth today then ever and we are killing less and less of each other (even though technology has made it easier), we do more to help one another then ever before in history and mutual respect among races is better then it's ever been( though still not "perfect"), but the world is definitely worse...

Back