Assembling a gaming computer for $550

I don't think we can do that, in general. And even if we could, it'd be a massive bottleneck to your 660Ti.

PSU $80
CPU $180
MOBO $90
RAM $50
Case $40

That's around $440 for something decent.

Yeah, what games will you be playing? Plus if you are only running at 1080P that 3GB graphics card will do you no good. Maybe 1 game I know of would use a lot of memory even at 1080P, and that is Metro 2033.

That's the exact same video card I just bought 2 months ago - very happy with the choice - I wanted a backplate, and the extra RAM for a future monitor upgrade. However, I first built a solid system using my old 550 Ti, (i5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-V, 2400 MHz RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4, H100 liquid cooler, etc). You really can't get the most out of the 660 Ti if you have a bottleneck at the CPU, and overclocking is always good for a bump in frame rates. RAM speed doesn't matter, it's so much faster than any CPU, 1333 or 1600 MHz is fine for gaming and cheap (get at least 8 GB). SSDs are great for many reasons, but not required for gaming. It's all about the GPU and CPU (& a solid, reliable PSU). You can cheap out on the rest and still game like a champ. You'll be glad later on if you save up a bit longer and get an unlocked quad core & cooler.

Back