Asus A7N8X Deluxe with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chudnab

Trying to upgrade cheap. Holding out for a new comp, someday.

I've got an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo with an AMD Athlon Xp 2600+. Can I safely upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ ? Socket should be ok... but what about my mobo, would it support the new CPU?

Chud

Sorry, you won't be able to do that. Your motherboard has socket type A, while an Athlon 64 X2 requires an AM2 slot.

It does however support AMD Duron, Athlon and AthlonXP (3000+). Processors from those lines should be fine.

Yes... I realized that after I posted. I'm still really green when it comes to PC parts, so I assumed that "All socket A types" included AM2's. Well, at least I know now.

Thanks for your help!

You have a socket A motherboard. The max chip you can use is an Athlon XP 3200+ (single core CPU).

Do not confuse the Athlon, Athlon XP series CPUs with the Athlon 64 series.

The former are single core, the latter dual core.

I too have socket a A mobo and am looking to upgrade on the cheap. I want to play Test Drive Unlimited, but the minimum AMD CPU is 2800+ (mine is a 2500+). I looked into buying a 3200+, but trustworthy used ones are so expensive that you might as well do a full budget upgrade. Another thing to consider is that the newer components such as Athlon 64 X2 CPUs and GeForce 8 and 9 series video cards use less power, thus lower wattage PSUs, less heat (more reasonable coolers), and lower electricity bills.

Yes, I looked at some 3200+'s... after all is said and done my best bet is to build a new machine. The prices on some of those old CPU's are ridiculous. Besides, my intent is to build a new PC, so why would I spend money on a CPU that I couldn't place in a new machine? It's almost too difficult for me to justify... looks like I'll be saving some more cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back